Talk

Advanced search

Where do you shop for work dresses?

(17 Posts)
PeanutJuice Sun 12-Mar-17 09:59:46

I'm returning to work after ML and need to create a whole new work wardrobe!

I work in a very casual office with more junior members wearing black jeans etc but more senior members dressing more typically "office wear"

I'm a firm believer in dressing for the job you want, not the job you have so I need some smart-ish work dresses.

I don't have a large budget and I don't like patterns or too many bright colours but lost on what shape suits me at the moment.

Can anyone help?

jeaux90 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:06:09

Hmmm I buy alot of the fitted Boden dresses. Not the printed ones. I find the rushing flattering and you can make them Classic or funk them up. Register with them and wait for the vouchers. smile

ITMama1 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:07:26

I guess it depends on your budget, what's small to some is a large amount to others. My main staples are Karen Millen for dresses and tops, with trousers and blazers from Zara. They do a great range of colours which brighten up a capsule black/white wardrobe.

Hamiltoes Sun 12-Mar-17 10:07:27

I mostly go with next for basic tailored black/ navy/ grey dresses.

I find supermarkets do absolute gems every so often so it's worth keeping an eye on sainsuburys and tesco site. But of course that's something for when you want to build it up and not start from scratch.

Have a couple of key pieces from the reiss sale.

Other than that I'm following with interest because I feel my work wardrobe could do with an update.

SuperPug Sun 12-Mar-17 10:15:44

Placemarking smile
Finding it very difficult to find a dress,12-14, 34F, working in a school.

GirlElephant Sun 12-Mar-17 10:21:13

Wallis, Debenhams & if there's a sale Hobbs.

BirdIsland Sun 12-Mar-17 10:23:02

I buy a lot of fitted jersey dresses from Phase Eight, you have to battle through the "mother of the bride" frocks but I've had a few from there that wash well, are comfortable (stretchy!) but look smart. I've just bought a few in the sale too, around £45ish.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Sun 12-Mar-17 10:26:31

I mainly go fitted jersey dresses ideally with a bit of ruching at the stomach like these. I got these a few years ago now so they'll no longer be in stock but you get the idea. I wear with a blazer or fitted cardigan if I'm feeling a bit bloated or cold.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 12-Mar-17 10:27:06

Jaegar Outlet (though better for knitted winter dresses), Hobbs Outlet (online or in store), White stuff jersey dresses in the sales for my dress down days in the office. I have got two Baujken dresses but I haven't worn them yet. East sale too - often has jersey dresses.

If you go to the clearance section of JL you can see everything in your size if you narrow it down with the filters. I have bought dresses for as little as £20 in the sales this year (East, Jaegar and White Stuff) and a lovely a line wool hobbs skirt and merino roll neck for £38 for the two.

29redshoes Sun 12-Mar-17 12:19:22

Mine are mostly from Hobbs, Boden, Esprit, Mango and Uniqlo.

I agree that Phase Eight can be good if you battle through the MIL type stuff, I don't have anything from them anymore but I've had some good stuff in the past.

RedMetamorphosis Sun 12-Mar-17 13:19:29

I start a new job tomorrow after over 2 years studying/working from home. I've picked up a few recently from M&S, Next, Warehouse, ASOS and H&M.

I've not spent more than about £25 on one. Normally plain, block colours, mainly black, navy with the odd one in red/orange. I then have a contrasting blazer to go with.

BlueFolly Sun 12-Mar-17 13:59:48

Hobbs for dresses. Jigsaw for separates.

AgentCooper Sun 12-Mar-17 14:09:28

I get mine from Esprit, M&S and And Other Stories (in the sale). I mostly like fitted jersey or ribbed, nothing loose or too structured because things that fit in the boobs don't tend to fit elsewhere.

Just bought this one: Esprit ribbed dress

Ratonastick Sun 12-Mar-17 14:19:09

Outlets. LKB, Jaeger, Hobbs have the best dresses but they are pricy. If you are happy in last year's (and I am as I have frocks that are 6-7 years old) then hit their outlets. They are more expensive than M&S, Next, etc but last without seating or going shiny / bobbly.

SauvignonPlonk Sun 12-Mar-17 14:21:17

Boden
Hobbs outlet
Phase Eight
LK Bennett (sale!)

iseenodust Sun 12-Mar-17 14:21:43

Laura Ashley - they are not all flowery ! The winter British wool ones are great. Agree Jaeger outlet.

Euphemia Sun 12-Mar-17 15:28:29

I have a black dress similar to this navy one from Sainsbury's and it's great: good quality and can be jazzed up with accessories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now