Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take for something to take full effect?

(7 Posts)
Missingsleepandthecat Sat 11-Mar-17 18:50:17

Hi!
I'm posting for my DS2.
Ds2 had pretty clear skin right up until he reached 13, he started getting spots and some of them would go septic and get quite painful, so I sat down with him and came up with a skincare regime that would help make them less painful and help clear them up, this was: steaming face, using soap and a scrub mitt and using clean and clear lotion afterwards. This worked for a bit until he reached 15 when his skin began to get quite dry and irritated, the septic spots/acne returned and he started getting one or two formations on his neck, we tried everything to help with it but it was only recently by pure chance that we found something that helped to a degree and that was La Roche-Posay's effeclar range. However, DS2 still gets painful breakouts sometimes on his forehead and he also gets eczema-like patches around the edge of his mouth near his chin. For his birthday, because it was starting to get quite uncomfortable for him, I went into Boots and spoke to the Liz Earle assistant that was there, because after research and hearing lots of people raving about their products, I thought I'd have a look and see if they have anything that my help DS2. The assistant was sympathetic and helpful, she suggested the combination/oily skin kit which included the cleanse and polish, skin boost tonic, exfoliator and skin repair light moisturiser. DS2 was thrilled and within the first week we saw very positive results, however, its been nearly 2 weeks now and the eczema like patches are back around his mouth and he has had a painful breakout on his forehead again, is there something hes doing wrong? how long should we stick with it for? is there anything else we can try?
Sorry its long winded, I just didnt want to drip feed!

highinthesky Sat 11-Mar-17 18:53:23

I'd recommend skipping the beauty counter and visiting the pharmacy instead.

By septic I guess you mean come to a head, or are filled with pus? Genuine sepsis is a medical emergency.

Shnorbitz Sat 11-Mar-17 19:00:23

I'd take him to the GP. There are lots of medications out there that can help.

I went down the same route as you thinking it was just teenage spots, turned out it was Acne and he needed Roacutane (sp). He was under the care of a dermatologist for 9 months and his skin cleared completely.

HamletsSister Sat 11-Mar-17 19:03:37

All those products do is clean and soften. You need the GP and the big guns. Good to start going up the acne stages (you seem to have to try several things before you get a derm referral and Roaccutane) before too much facial hair comes in as that is part of the issue with scarring.

Missingsleepandthecat Sat 11-Mar-17 19:24:04

We did go to the pharmacy and they told him to put Sudocreme on them which did nothing. The LRP and LE did help with the break outs, its just this week he had a breakout but since he got older most of his breakouts haven't gone septic (coming to a painful head) and we're wondering if we should carry on with the LE or return to the LRP, the main issue thats causing discomfort is the dry patch near his mouth.
May be of use but we're taking him to the GP because of a suspected autoimmune issue and we dont know if that may play a role in this, he's also 19 btw.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Missingsleepandthecat Sat 11-Mar-17 20:26:42

UPDATE
Just had a good look at DS2's forehead, the outbreak looks a bit calmer today after a steaming as well as doing the LE (because it makes his out breaks feel more comfortable) and what we thought was also part of an outbreak looks like scarring, I feel a bit silly for posting here now but I was a bit concerned. He says he's still going to have a word with the GP about it when he goes next week.

Missingsleepandthecat Sun 12-Mar-17 17:17:53

Another update, today they all seem to have dried up and look a lot LOT less angrier now, maybe it was his skin purging?
I feel a bit silly for posting now though blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now