Talk

Advanced search

Cruelty free makeup

(30 Posts)
Bananasandchocolatecustard Sat 11-Mar-17 17:06:11

Hello, I'm looking for cruelty free, ethical makeup and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any brands that are also reasonably priced. I'm primarily looking for concealer, mascara, eye shadow and eye liner. The concealer needs to be suitable for very pale skin; I am blonde with the same skin colouring as someone who has red hair.

Owlish Sat 11-Mar-17 17:17:01

Sorry, I can't shorten links on the app, but this is a good place to start: http://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/list-of-cruelty-free-brands/ It points out brands whose parent company may test on animals. I've been looking at GOSH; many of their products get rave reviews, but the list covers all price-points.

Dulcimena Sat 11-Mar-17 17:22:28

Urban Decay?

ZaraW Sat 11-Mar-17 17:29:18

M&S Autograph is certified by the Leaping Bunny. Good quality and reasonably priced.

Faez Sat 11-Mar-17 17:30:04

Phb ethical beauty

imip Sat 11-Mar-17 17:31:46

Both Superdrug and now Waitrose are cruelty free. Ok, not all make up, but I never realised the Essential Waitrose cleaning products were leaping bunny.

I usually refer to the link above.

Bordersarethebest Sat 11-Mar-17 17:37:07

DD and I have switched entirely to cruelty free or vegan brands.

Liz Earle and Charlotte Tilsbury for higher end. Too faced.

M and S have several cruelty free brands - look for the bunny. Pure, Pur etc as well as their own label.

Sainsbury, Superdrug and Waitrose own label.

I think MUA from Superdrug are ok too.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:25:37

I think Liz Earle is owned by loreal, big animal testers and loreal sell in China.

I usually use superdrug Mua or B range.

It's branded household cleaners that still test, astonish cleaners are leaping bunny approved. I use aldi cleaners too, the Germans stopped testing before the uk if what I've read is true.

Logoplanter Sat 11-Mar-17 18:37:39

I'm trying to do the same. The ones that spring to mind are:

MUA
B
Make up Revolution
Sleek
Gosh
Miss Sporty

I regularly shop at Superdrug as all their own brand range is cruelty free. Those are the brands I'd look at there.

troodiedoo Sat 11-Mar-17 18:39:44

Anastasia beverley hills higher end of reasonably priced but brilliant quality.

I think Nars is cruelty free, their concealer is very good and lots of pale shades.

EmmaC78 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:44:37

Urban Decay or Barry M

AnitaPallenbergsKnees Sat 11-Mar-17 18:46:43

I thought Boots owned liz earle?
Super drug and marks' are good.

ZaraW Sat 11-Mar-17 18:50:50

Avon sold Liz Earle to Boots several years ago.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:53:41

Yep I'm wrong. It's boots.

I think urban decay sell in China, so they will be doing animal testing over there.

Sainsburys own brand toiletries are leaping bunny too, toothpaste etc.

StilletoRose Sat 11-Mar-17 18:56:13

Lily Lolo mascara is good. Dr Hauschka do a decent kohl eyeliner. If I ever find a brilliant cruelty-free liquid eyeliner I'll let you know, Barry M isn't bad but not fab. Eyeshadow- any of the brands I've mentioned so far are pretty good at eyeshadow. Best cruelty free concealer I have found is Ere Perez.

AdoraBell Sat 11-Mar-17 18:57:04

Place marking.

TupperwareTat Sat 11-Mar-17 18:58:01

MUA (make up academy) at Superdrug, prices start at £1. Its excellent.

45DegreestoReality Sat 11-Mar-17 20:36:43

Another vote for Lily Lolo here. I love their BB cream, and they cater for the very pale.

I use Lily Lolo Bb cream everyday (well.. More days!), lily lolo powder foundation for an evening out.
Mua concealer
Gosh and Bellapierre eyeshadow.
Lush mascara and highlight ("Feeling Younger" skin tint).

I'm making some changes too after becoming more cruelty aware. No more. La Roche posay.

imip Sun 12-Mar-17 07:13:36

I think Nars is owned by a company that tests.... I looked into it a couple of months ago :-(

Dulcimena Sun 12-Mar-17 07:54:51

Urban Decay don't sell in China precisely because of animal testing.

Oscha Sun 12-Mar-17 09:05:06

Neal's Yard are good.

troodiedoo Sun 12-Mar-17 10:26:02

Oh no really imip my vegan dd will be gutted.

StupidSlimyGit Sun 12-Mar-17 10:31:25

I always use Superdrugs own (usually MUA). Works well, cheap as chips and leaping bunny certified.

StilletoRose Sun 12-Mar-17 13:25:05

Urban Decay are now owned by L'Oreal Dulcimena. They did make quite a big deal about remaining cruelty-free as a brand despite being owned by a parent company that tests.

I think PETA might even have said to keep buying Urban Decay if you were a consumer to show parent companies that test that non-testing brands can be viable and profitable.

So I suppose it's a bit like the argument that it's good that some companies started to test in order to sell in China because they can "work within the system to decrease animal testing". It really depends whether you think those tactics will work out in the long run or not, whether you are comfortable with what is happening now or not.

Dulcimena Sun 12-Mar-17 22:20:42

Yes, I realise that. But UD are still PETA approved and consciously don't sell in China, so unless you know something that PETA don't...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now