Talk

Advanced search

Best high end foundation for ageing skin

(26 Posts)
Pippin8 Sat 11-Mar-17 16:35:49

I have used MAC pro longwear for years & loved it-NW20 is a perfect match.

Or so I thought. Recently it's made me look a bit orange. I'm wondering if it's because my skin is ageing (I'm 38) or because I bought the same shade but the studio fix fluid as the pro longwear had sold out.

Anyway, I feel ready for change. Has anyone used the Laura mercier soft glow? Or any other recommendations?

VintagePerfumista Sat 11-Mar-17 16:53:08

Do you mean candleglow? I haven't, but funnily was looking at it yesterday as I fancy being a bit more glowy as we go into spring! There was a thread on here comparing the LM Candleglow with the YSL Touche Eclat and the YSL seemed to win it, as the Candleglow is quite sheer apparently.

I currently have Chanel Perfection Lumiere which is nice enough, and also Chanel Les Beiges but neither are about to become a Holy Grail.

In all honesty, the best I keep repurchasing is Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid which is better than the lot!

Someone was raving about Dior BB creams as well which I quite fancied. I've always rated Dior foundations.

I think Mac are quite well known for going a bit orange and cakey aren't they?

BreakfastLunchPasta Sat 11-Mar-17 17:00:24

I've just started using Charlotte Tillbury Light Wonder. It's relatively light coverage but looks great and feels so nice on my skin. I definitely recommend you try it.

I am keen to try Estée Lauder Perfectionist Youth Infusing foundation, it has serum in to reduce lines.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 11-Mar-17 17:04:16

The new Shiseido Synchro glow.

Similar to Laura Mercier Candleglow, applies better though.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 11-Mar-17 17:05:32

The new YSL Touche Eclat isn't very nice, too thick and dark and heavy, the old formulation was so much better.

FaintlyHopeful Sat 11-Mar-17 17:20:15

I've got a drawer of expensive mistakes and keep going back to bourjois healthy mix. It's amazing and only a tenner. I kind of want something in swanky bottle though.

Nicketynac Sat 11-Mar-17 17:22:41

I have the same issue with Studio fix and Pro Longwear, glad it's not just me but still annoyed I wasted money on it. It is so orange that I cannot decide if I like the finish. I tried mixing it with the Body Shop whitening drops but it just went pale orange instead of bright.
No helpful advice!

UB40fan Sat 11-Mar-17 17:35:29

I can tell you not to bother with.
1. Terry terrybly densiliss- chalky,settles in pores.
2. Zelens age control foundation- flat, settles in pores.
3. Omorovicza complexion perfector- not much coverage
All of the above are very expensive and in my opinion are crap.
Lancôme teint miracle is excellent.
Dior nude and star as well, although nude is better.

VintagePerfumista Sat 11-Mar-17 17:38:09

Dior Nude gets very good reviews.

blueskyinmarch Sat 11-Mar-17 20:55:12

I am in my early 50s and I swear by Clarins BB cream. It doesn't sit on top of my pores like some foundations do and it stays on well.

Pippin8 Sat 11-Mar-17 21:20:29

I hate foundation shopping. I only chose the MAC as the guy gave me a free mini pot so I could wear it for a few days & saw it in all different lights. I don't find make up counters particularly helpful tbh.

jelliedeel Sat 11-Mar-17 22:00:39

I also like Bourjois healthy mix serum but the colour is not quite right and I have to mix two shades.
And then I discovered Guerlain Lingerie de peau..It's seriously good stuff and I think I'm done with searching now. Good coverage and a glow and lightweight. Warm neutral or cool shades.

BadlyDrawnBuoy Sat 11-Mar-17 22:04:58

The new Armani sounds good. Review here:

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2017/mar/04/beauty-the-best-new-bases-sali-hughes

amazonianwoman Sat 11-Mar-17 22:06:30

Clarins BB Skin Detox Fluid. Lovely. I'm 50.

BadlyDrawnBuoy Sat 11-Mar-17 22:11:24

Forgot to say that the Laura Mercier foundation oxidised badly on me.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 11-Mar-17 22:12:41

Guerlain Parure Gold is the dogs bollocks.

Itsmeitscathy Sat 11-Mar-17 22:15:37

Bare minerals bb gel isn't v high end but is nice

JohnCheese Sat 11-Mar-17 23:44:01

Chanel. Any of them. I'm currently using Velvet Lumiere and I love it on my oily, large pored, a few lines, skin. It's really good.
I use the Aqua one in the summer, lighter coverage but good. I've tried a million high end and budget, I keep coming back to Chanel. There's none that can match Chanel.

HotSince82 Sun 12-Mar-17 00:27:20

Dior capture totale.

I used to be a die hard user if Dior nude but tried my mums capture totale, later on that day I ended up in A&E. The nurse taking my details thought I'd given her the wrong DOB. She thought it should have read 1992 instead of 82!

I ran out and bought my own bottle and have been I'd about eight times since.
Its the foundation I tell you.
I now use nothing else.

BlueFolly Sun 12-Mar-17 14:01:55

By Trry densiliss. Looks like skin.

BlueFolly Sun 12-Mar-17 14:02:16

Sorry, that's By Terry.

Destinysdaughter Sun 12-Mar-17 14:21:31

That Armani foundation has very mixed reviews!

www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=192336/Power-Fabric-Foundation-/Giorgio-Armani/Foundations

pennypeony Sun 12-Mar-17 16:11:59

Time delay in Boots is really good!
Sorry, it isn't high end - just on sale and very light.
I'm mid 40's.

inlectorecumbit Sun 12-Mar-17 16:44:08

I recently got my make up done for DD's wedding with the bridal party, for the youngsters she mainly used Mac but for my ageing skin she used the illamasqua foundation and it is pretty good.

gonegrey56 Sun 12-Mar-17 16:48:39

I have bought the new Armani foundation Power Fabric and I am very disappointed with it. It is too thick, blends poorly and accentuates my pores. I bought the same colour as I have in the Maestro foundation but it is much paler, despite the sales assistant assuring me that the colours were identical.
I wish I had asked for a sample before splashing out, an expensive lesson for me .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now