Talk

Advanced search

What to wear for a date

(18 Posts)
undeuxtroiscactus Sat 11-Mar-17 13:08:53

I'm just starting dating again after separating a year ago, I have a date coming up but honestly nothing to wear that doesn't make me feel frumpy!
So...planning to go shopping for a couple of new outfits, nothing too expensive and I don't have any very exciting shops nearby so will probably try house of Fraser, Next, M&S etc.
I need some advice as I'm crap at this! Please help smile.

In terms of looks, I'm 30 but quite baby faced, 5'3 and a size 14...a bit plump but kind of hourglass, I do have big boobs and a waist and hips/ bum (and a wobbly tummy so planning on spanx!). I have shoulder length dark blonde hair.

So far my plan is to get a really good well fitting bra (bra intervention!) to kind of 'lift' things and buy a couple of dresses that will also do for work (quite a relaxed dress code). I love the vintage look but can't wear too much patterned stuff as it makes me look 'fussy'. And I need good shoes! Also, what are some good mid priced tights? Are opaques a good look?

Dates will not be anywhere particularly posh btw.

Some advice would be really helpful! I suffer from anxiety and find shopping a bit awful but haven't had much success with online either and dislike the faff of returning things, so I'm hoping to be able to choose some good stuff and get out of there!

Thank you so much!

undeuxtroiscactus Sat 11-Mar-17 13:11:16

Actually boots or shoes would be great, some kind of relatively comfortable heel would be good!

undeuxtroiscactus Sat 11-Mar-17 18:13:20

Anyone?

Bansteadmum Sat 11-Mar-17 18:15:29

Your planned purchases sound good, just see what looks good on!

Posh jeans and nice tops are always useful too!

highinthesky Sat 11-Mar-17 18:18:42

This is a tough one to answer, so I would suggest going shopping with a friend who can give you some honest feedback.

Also think about where the date will be, and what the dress code is (e.g. jeans would be fine in a pub). You may find the answer lurking in the back of your wardrobe already.

Gah81 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:24:59

Opaques work perfectly - they help dress down a dress, I think.

I know that the usual first date outfit is supposed to be jeans and a nice top (from articles etc). However, I don't wear jeans in the usual way so have always worn a jersey dress with black tights on first dates and have felt comfortable and like myself smile I may have been overdressed but I felt like my best self.

Geox do THE comfiest heels, though they are quite expensive. Otherwise M&S Footglove are brilliant!

Definitely agree that shopping with a friend is a good idea too.

undeuxtroiscactus Sat 11-Mar-17 18:48:01

Thank you! Also, would you say it's acceptable to wear a cardigan? blush I'm not too keen on my arms. Not a frumpy one like a shrug or a waterfall cardigan, just a relatively fitted nice coloured cardigan.

Gah81 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:58:35

If you will feel more comfortable wearing one, then go for it. I think a nice fitted cardi can look great!

BusterGonad Sat 11-Mar-17 20:26:50

Blazers are nice too op.

Bluntness100 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:40:17

Ok how are you in jeans? Dark indigo or black, high boots, and nice smart top, I think that's what I would go for.

Bluntness100 Sat 11-Mar-17 20:44:28

Also biker jackets can work well, there is some great ones out there now , and they go well over dresses if you go that route.

undeuxtroiscactus Sat 11-Mar-17 21:07:17

I was thinking about a biker jacket. I'm just not that confident in a way and I'm not sure if I could pull that off? But I guess it's hardly cutting edge fashion. I should try to be a bit more adventurous. It wouldn't look pretentious would it?
I considered blazers but they never look that good with my boobs...plus it can look a bit job interview maybe?

undeuxtroiscactus Sat 11-Mar-17 21:09:36

What about this dress? Is it a bit boring? I was thinking maybe with opaque tights in a purple colour, black heels (chunky type) and some kind of jacket, maybe a biker jacket?

undeuxtroiscactus Sat 11-Mar-17 21:10:42

Plus a long necklace. Not sure about wearing black though, is that a good date colour? I like the slimming aspect though.

Bansteadmum Sat 11-Mar-17 21:24:13

Pretty and looks like it'd suit your shape. No cardi.

undeuxtroiscactus Sat 11-Mar-17 21:51:06

Thanks! Can anyone recommend a good biker jacket? Preferably not black or pleather/ leather.smile

Gah81 Sun 12-Mar-17 09:48:13

Black is great for dates! As your arms will be covered, do you need an additional jacket? I just think it might ruin the lines of your dress. I understand that you want a coat, but personally think a long line coat which you take off as soon as you sit down would work well.

Think a long necklace would look great with it smile

undeuxtroiscactus Sun 12-Mar-17 11:41:00

Thanks! I do have a nice long coat, it's also black though! Definitely some colourful tights I think, or it could look a bit funereal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now