Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you decide what's work / play clothes?

(23 Posts)
Isobela Fri 10-Mar-17 19:31:43

It's something I can't do - wear the same clothes for work in my own time. I don't know why but it just feels so wrong.

Trouble is I end up saving my best things for my own time but then I don't go out much these days so I've got loads of lovely clothes being unworn then I wear 'not so nice' stuff for work.

How do you split stuff out?
Am I alone with my weird clothes mixing phobia?!

HappyMedium Fri 10-Mar-17 19:53:59

I keep my most new and favourite stuff for casual, meeting friends, going shopping etc at first for a while. When I start getting bored of it or wouldn't be devastated if it gets ruined, then I start wearing it for work.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 10-Mar-17 20:02:09

I do much the same as happy wth the exception of things like blue jeans, my lovely leather skirt etc. Things migrate to my work wardrobe, then they never cross back. Once something's been worn to work it's tainted!

MrAliBongo Fri 10-Mar-17 20:02:32

I quite like to distinguish work clothes from weekend clothes, but I don't have a problem with a bit of mixing... Is that something to do with your type of work? But I guess my style is slightly different in and out of work. More jeans, jersey tops and very casual boots at the weekend. More skirts, heels and woven fabrics for work. If I have clothes I love, and I could appropriately wear them for work, I will: monday mornings are miserable enough without barring the fun half of your wardrobe too!

Trustyourself2 Fri 10-Mar-17 20:18:44

I worked in an industry for many years where I could've turned up in a bin bag and no one would've batted an eyelid, so haven't had different wardrobes for many years. Now I work from home & am casual most of the time.

You could buy some nice semi-casual blouses & wear those to work & with jeans out of work. That goes for semi-casual jackets & cardis.

2gorgeousboys Fri 10-Mar-17 20:30:08

My work and home wardrobe is mainly separate with a very slight overlap for example a chiffon pussy bow blouse that I wear with a pencil skirt for work and occasionally wear with skinny jeans and heels for a night out.

I don't denote things to work wear, I spend the majority of my time in work clothes so like to look and feel nice rather than keeping things for non work time.

WipsGlitter Fri 10-Mar-17 20:31:32

I have a set of work dresses I wouldn't dream of wearing outside of work. Plus we don't really wear jeans to work.

My issue is I have sort of smart weekend clothes but I end up wearing the same jumper ALL THE TIME!!!

leadrightfoot Fri 10-Mar-17 21:42:34

I go by neckline and shoulder coverage Weekends may be lower / less than work. Or more sheer material, different more figure hugging or revealing cuts for clothes But some stuff works for both

chanie44 Fri 10-Mar-17 22:14:26

I also have a 'mixing phobia'.

I buy work clothes from matalan and sainsburys and wear black trousers and jersey tops.

AuldAlliance Fri 10-Mar-17 22:20:32

For non-work days, I avoid wearing things that need ironing. That's about it...

Gah81 Fri 10-Mar-17 22:29:06

Apart from the fact I wear jeans sometimes at the weekends (and never to work - quite a formal workplace) and suits to the office only, my wardrobe mixes quite a lot. I like wool pencil dresses or skirts with blouses that can be slightly more informal with ankle boots or work ready with heels. My casual wardrobe is quite smart though (unless I am home alone with the cat in which case it is jeans and a hoodie and thick woollen socks!)

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 10-Mar-17 22:36:53

I teach in a Reception class so have a definite work wardrobe and home wardrobe. Work tends to be slightly preppy in summer with navy skinny trousers, shirts, chinos, loafers, brogues and short dresses with chunky cardi's, tights and boots in winter.

Home clothes tend to be skinny jeans and fine-knit tops from Reiss and Karen Millen, which I couldn't wear to work because they'd be destroyed within a week. Leather jackets, ballet pumps and lovely blouses that I also probably would ruin at work.

sunshineglitterprincess Sat 11-Mar-17 06:55:57

I wear the same tops then just wear black trousers for work and jeans for home

Ecureuil Sat 11-Mar-17 07:00:15

I worked (pre children) in a very formal corporate environment and my out of work style is much more relaxed so never had any mixing really. I wouldn't have worn any of my work clothes on nights out etc as they were pretty dull!

Methenyouplus4 Sat 11-Mar-17 07:51:29

A couple of years ago, I bought quite a neutral wardrobe so mixed and matched for work /casual (with exception of very casual denim/leather leggings which don't wear for work). On a (rare) night out I realised I was wearing a lot of stuff that I wore to work and just didn't feel 'special'/ 'dressed up'. Now I do try to keep a bit of separation. A few items (for rare meals out etc) never get worn for work and a couple of items (smart navy jumper) cross but like having a bit of a divide.

ChuckDaffodils Sat 11-Mar-17 08:14:10

I mainly work from home now, so have:
Going out into the general public clothes
Wearing when working at home clothes
Wearing round the house clothes [usually jamas]
Wearing in the garden or at the allotment clothes.

If any cross I feel spectacularly weird. I cannot do work in my Jamas during work hours, even if I've been merrily doing some work before officially clocking off time. I have to go get dressed or I feel weird.

BikeRunSki Sat 11-Mar-17 08:27:20

My work wardrobe consists largely of jeans, high viz and fleece.

I have a hierarchy of "work jeans" and "home jeans".

Banananana Sat 11-Mar-17 08:32:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

neveradullmoment99 Sat 11-Mar-17 13:47:24

Most of my clothes are interchangeable with the exception of denim and t-shirts with a print on them. Most dresses i wear to work with the exception of a skirt and one dress that is kept for going out. This is simply because when i am at home i just enjoy wearing casual things like jeans or a denim skirt. I like to look nice when i go to work tbh and make an effort although I am a teacher so if it is in danger of getting paint on it, i would save it for another day.

Kittykatmacbill Sat 11-Mar-17 19:54:24

Like runbikeski I have work jeans and home jeans. Work jeans tend to be thick, not skinny and brown (or occasionally grey) and I too these off with a fleece and high vis. My husband loathes this look... I rarely wear fleeces not at work!

Kittykatmacbill Sat 11-Mar-17 19:55:24

Sorry bikerunski not runbikeski...

BusterGonad Sat 11-Mar-17 20:09:00

I tend to dress up for work and then on the odd chance I go 'out' I buy something new! 😂 jeans are the only thing I don't wear to work!

woodhill Sat 11-Mar-17 20:15:16

Yes, I would rather buy clothes not for work and when
I have worn them a bit they then become work clothes. I do interchange though as the dress code is smart casual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now