Talk

Advanced search

What do you use to wash your children's skin?

(24 Posts)
Honey1975 Fri 10-Mar-17 14:36:24

When my son was 5 he got a spot on his cheek that flared up really badly and had to be treated with antibiotics. It was there for weeks.
and in the end we saw a dermatologist. It is still ever so slightly noticeable under the skin.

Last week my daughter who is 4 had the same thing on her cheek and it got very red with a whitehead on it and now has gone down but I can still see it faintly.

I'm wondering if this is maybe just something they're prone to or could it be related to how we wash their faces? I used baby soap when they were very little and now use dove soap. My DH has told me that on some days when I leave for work early he washes them with a flannel only but no soap, so could that be the cause, maybe a build up of bacteria where they're not getting a proper wash?!

Generally they both have pretty dry skin and I guess it must be sensitive if they're prone to these spots.

What do you use to wash your dc's and keep,them clean but not irritate their skin?

Logoplanter Fri 10-Mar-17 16:07:40

My kids (6 and 3) shower every day or other day and we just use baby wipes to clean up faces/hands after meals and during the day if grubby.

They don't use anything on their faces in the shower, just shower gel on their bodies which is normally Superdrug own brand or another cruelty free brand.

They've never had any spots.

Deadsouls Fri 10-Mar-17 16:09:27

I don't use anything on their faces. Only water that gets on they're face from bath/shower

marciagetscreamed Fri 10-Mar-17 16:12:06

I use oilatum bath additive and that's it. I personally wouldn't use any soap on their skin as it's too delicate.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 10-Mar-17 16:14:24

Nothing on faces, just water. Whatever shower gel we've got for the rest of them.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Fri 10-Mar-17 16:25:19

I just use a damp warm flannel, no soap at all. My third DC had awful eczema. Turns out it was the water itself. He only gets a bath once a week now and his skin is finally on the mend.

PippiLongstromp Fri 10-Mar-17 18:46:31

Weleda baby shampoo and body wash - their faces get a wipe with a flannel with a bit of bubbles from their hair. Every other day. In between use only wet wipes. I don't think you should be using proper soap for faces, but that's my opinion..

mintmagnummm Fri 10-Mar-17 19:02:53

Child's farm hair and body wash but only flannel and plain water on face (he's 5) then child's farm body cream (the newborn one it smells gorgeous) on legs and arms and if face a bit irritated I use the child's farm nappy cream on it (it does say for face and irritated areas too on tube)

PickAChew Fri 10-Mar-17 19:12:12

Just water on their faces (though ds1 needs something stronger now he's hit puberty - we've found a cheap t-zone one that's actually really gentle but does the job well). Importantly, their sponges and washcloths are washed frequently and hand/face towels changed daily.

Olivo Fri 10-Mar-17 19:13:12

Face cloth with warm water for faces here. Usually child's farm bubble bath in bath water or some sort of lavender baby bath ( despite them being 7 and 10grin)

PickAChew Fri 10-Mar-17 19:14:24

Sanex shower gel on their bodies, SA.e as the rest of us.

Flisstizzy Fri 10-Mar-17 19:38:09

Only really used soap from Age 6. Used plain water / wipes / infacare for washing.

Joneseygirl77 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:43:56

Another one using child's farm here for baths. Occasionally switch to aveeno if I notice small patches of eczema. Again I just use plain water and a flannel on the face.

Athrawes Fri 10-Mar-17 19:46:55

If dirty I would wash with flannel and warm water. If really filthy I might use my own non soap facial cream. Otherwise I don't wash his face. He is 6.

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 10-Mar-17 22:40:45

Child's Farm here, too. Their stuff hasn't ever aggravated their skin (both get eczema occasionally) and seems the gentlest stuff we've tried.

DS1 is 11 and is just reaching the point where his skin is getting a little oily on his face. I bought him a konjac sponge and some Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser and taught him about the importance of washing his face every night. He's still young but has beautiful skin, hopefully if he gets into good habits now it'll last a lifetime.

MrsBungle Fri 10-Mar-17 22:42:59

Sanex 0% on bodies and just water and sometimes Huggins wipes on faces.

RiverdaleJughead Sat 11-Mar-17 01:05:38

Soap on any face is awful! My dry skin would split if I used soap ... use face wash !!! And tbh water is absolutely fine x better than nasty chemicals . Disclaimer :?i don't have kids I just have very dry skin and this sounds painful to me x

Pengweng Sat 11-Mar-17 08:48:35

Childs Farm stuff on bodies but just damp flannel for washing faces. I don't use soap to wash my face so never even thought to use it on theirs. I would have thought it was the cause of their dry skin to be honest.

Wolpertinger Sat 11-Mar-17 09:25:57

Dry skin appreciates products that are SLS free - this does not include Sanex 0% or Dove soap/shower gel both companies just have great marketing

Faces can be washed with water.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 11-Mar-17 09:29:26

The Inocent variety.

Lndnmummy Sat 11-Mar-17 09:42:16

I use aveeno oil on face and body on ds who has exzema.

Pottedplants Sat 11-Mar-17 11:27:08

Just warm water here too and Mum&Me body wash in the bath followed by Mum&Me lotion after the bath.

Only one bath a week here and one quick shower after swimming.

BusterGonad Sat 11-Mar-17 11:49:41

In the shower I use a wet flannel, maybe a bit of soap (dove) in the morning a cotton wool pad with is damp, maybe a squeeze of baby lotion if it's to hand.

MiniCooperLover Sat 11-Mar-17 12:01:21

I don't think it's a build up of bacteria from just using a flannel. I think it may be linked to the soap you do use! Children skin does not need soap. If I want bubbles in his bath I squirt a bit of his Johnsons Shampoo, still makes bubbles and is a bit more skin friendly. Stop using the soap and see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now