Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I need a powder that actually works!

(22 Posts)
SouthernComforts Wed 08-Mar-17 21:55:40

Hi all.

The last two powders I've tried were Mac sheer/loose powder which was meh, and Bobbi Brown sheer finish powder which was good until about 4pm then I looked shiny as hell sad

Has anyone found the holy grail for an oily T-zone? I no longer wear foundation in the day so that's not the problem anymore, it's just my face grin

Thanks

margaritasbythesea Thu 09-Mar-17 06:02:20

Me too! Using blotting paper is often recommended on here although I don't know where to get them from where I am (not UK)

whatdoido222 Thu 09-Mar-17 06:39:01

I use the bare minerals loose powder foundation. It's brill! Discovered if via a friend about four years ago and use it every day now. It comes in a handy dispenser pot so only a little comes out at a time.

dailystuck71 Thu 09-Mar-17 06:41:46

I've been hearing for things asbiut Charlotte tilbury powder.

Fuzzypeggy Thu 09-Mar-17 06:51:05

I'm
Not sure that any powder will stop your face from being shiny after 4pm if you apply it in the morning. Your face is Producing oil and I think powder applied hours before will not be enough to absorb that. This is why blotting papers are the way forward, you need to remove the oil

PrimalLass Thu 09-Mar-17 12:10:32

I like LilyLolo mineral powder. It's really cheap and you can order samples for under £2.

www.lilylolo.co.uk/sp+mineral-foundation-spf-15+001

slug Thu 09-Mar-17 12:34:48

A second vote for LillyLoLo

mowglik Thu 09-Mar-17 13:17:56

Innisfree no sebum loose powder and blotting with tissue (don't like the blotting papers they often have a film of some random powder on them)

PollyPerky Thu 09-Mar-17 13:24:10

Isnt the whole point of a powder that you also use a powder compact and touch up during the day?

I use B Brown sheer powder in a compact - just the tiniest fluff of it over my foundation- and even though my skin is normal /dry I need to reapply by end of day.

Bluntness100 Thu 09-Mar-17 13:27:36

I also think you're expecting a bit much if you apply in the morning. Why can't you just reapply?

Anyways, I use Chanel les beiges powder, love it, takes the sheen off but still leaves it dewy and not powdery and can be used in place of foundation.

SouthernComforts Thu 09-Mar-17 13:28:44

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to order a sample of the lily one.

You may be right though about no powder lasting all day.. I can dream!

PollyPerky Thu 09-Mar-17 13:32:11

Buy the powder you like as a compact!

SouthernComforts Thu 09-Mar-17 14:15:14

Polly - I have stopped carrying my makeup brushes in my handbag as they were getting manky, does the compact have a brush/puff thing inside? Thanks 😊

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 09-Mar-17 15:23:39

I like the By Terry setting powder, which is expensive, but lasts for ages, and is excellent. I do, however, keep a Chanel Les Beiges compact in my desk at work and at least brush some over my nose at lunchtime.

10Betty10 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:29:56

I use the lily lolo mineral powder and then use their matte finishing powder on top- really good for keeping on top of shine. I reckon if you have a liquid foundation you already like using that the lily lolo finishing matte powder would still do the trick if you don't fancy going full mineral.

PollyPerky Thu 09-Mar-17 15:34:21

The Bobbi Brown sheer finish compact has a powder puff thing inside.

RoseValleyRambles Thu 09-Mar-17 15:38:19

The beauty pie translucent powder is fab - although i do reapply during the afternoon to stay matte.

RoseValleyRambles Thu 09-Mar-17 15:38:20

The beauty pie translucent powder is fab - although i do reapply during the afternoon to stay matte.

AndShesGone Thu 09-Mar-17 16:01:14

I LOVE my Charlotte Tilbury one. I don't touch up during the day, very slight glow by end of day for me (I'm not very oily though)

QueenMortifauxcado Thu 09-Mar-17 16:08:33

Have you tried urban decay? Not oily so don't know for sure but suspect their products work well for this as they were too dry for me. They do a setting spray for oily skin too.

Haffiana Thu 09-Mar-17 16:21:10

YSL Souffle d'Eclat lasts for ages for me.

SouthernComforts Thu 09-Mar-17 17:50:41

Thanks everyone I'll Google all these tonight.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: