We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where can I find comfortable, breathable, smart clothes?

(8 Posts)
WegmansCookies Wed 08-Mar-17 12:44:27

I am realising now, at the age of 34, that I am truly only comfortable in cotton clothes that don't cling to my underarms, don't scratch anywhere, aren't too hot, and feel fresh from morning to evening. I like stretchy material and classic cuts and styles. Basically, I'm a grown-up version of my "sensitive" toddler.

As a SAHM for the past several years, I've been able to get by in cotton tops and jeans, or tunics and leggings. I haven't felt particularly fashionable but it hasn't really mattered until now. But now I'm planning to go back to work (in a school, so lots of moving, bending, running around), and I need a whole new wardrobe.

Where can I shop, preferably online? I haven't really worked out a budget yet, but I'm thinking in the range of 1000 pounds for everything - shoes, tops, trousers, skirts, dresses. I like the idea of having a capsule wardrobe.

If it makes a difference, I'm 5'4" and weigh a little more than 8 stone (so, usually size 8).

thedevilinablackdress Wed 08-Mar-17 18:14:58

Off the top of my head, Toast and People Tree are good for natural fibres and I find the quality good. Toast is on the ££ side and they may not be your style but worth a look.

SenseiWoo Wed 08-Mar-17 18:33:54

I've listed my current favourite stamping grounds below.

Apart from Uniqlo, which is keenly priced most of the time, you just have to keep looking, sign up to email alerts and pounce on sales and special discounts.

Wrap
Uniqlo
John Lewis Kiin (their own brand)
La Redoute (but you have got to pick and choose-quality varies)
& Other Stories
Pure Collection
Finery
Baukjen
Yoox
Cos
Hobbs
Phase Eight
TK Maxx

But don't forget M&S and Gap.

wellhonestly Wed 08-Mar-17 19:29:32

Lands End - not everything is cotton, but lots of things are.

AuntieStella Wed 08-Mar-17 19:31:02

For natural fibres, keep an eye on Jaeger (fairly classic,you could wear the stuff for years).

Uniqlo is great. Keep looking, their stock changes frequently.

Also try Poetry - fairly informal, all natural fibre and mainly a heavy weave that drapes well.

BikeRunSki Wed 08-Mar-17 19:34:03

Thought (used to be Braintree)

WegmansCookies Wed 08-Mar-17 19:47:45

Thanks for all of the suggestions! There are a lot of shops here that I have never heard of (yes, I have been living under a rock).

Nix32 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:01:11

Joules

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now