Talk

Advanced search

Home hair dye or salon? Help?

(5 Posts)
kayleighb21 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:11:05

I've been getting my hair coloured at a salon for about a year. I like my hairdresser and she nearly always does a good job but she is slow! I have dark brown hair at the moment and not had it coloured since a month before my 7 week old was born so my fair roots are coming through. I'm torn whether to go to salon or just do it myself cos I'm on maternity money now so £50+ is a lot! What do you lot do? Any nice dark brown box colours which don't go black? Or should I just go to salon?

WindwardCircle Wed 08-Mar-17 11:19:11

I'm writing this sitting with dye on my hair waiting for the colour to develop. I found when I was on mat leave I couldn't justify the cost of having my hair professionally coloured, that was nine years and I've been colouring it myself ever since. I use Olia, the colours seem true to the box, it lasts well and most crucially it doesn't drip when you put it on.

If I were you I'd try doing a home colour, if you don't like it you can always go back to having a hairdresser do it.

Faz2015 Wed 08-Mar-17 21:39:41

I have been dyeing my hair myself for years... I even do my own balayge( L'Oréal)... if you are unsure get the semi permanent ones... it usually washes out after 6 -8 washes...I use semi as I like to change my colour frequently...

HeyMacWey Thu 09-Mar-17 08:40:44

I use professional dye and do it at home.
Majirel is brilliant - lots of threads on here about it.

Long lasting and excellent very coverage. Much easier and nicer to apply as well.
I use a dye brush and get my dh to do the bits I can't reach. Much easier with just doing the roots too.

For a dark rich brown - eg Katie Holmes - you'd need a dye number starting with 5.

Bluntness100 Thu 09-Mar-17 08:48:50

I just do my own, for the simple reason I can't be arsed sitting in the hairdressers that long every month to get the roots done. I also don't see any difference between me doing it and the hairdresser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now