Talk

Advanced search

Student ball - dress for an "old person"

(13 Posts)
chemenger Wed 08-Mar-17 10:27:08

Style and beauty...looks round in amazement, not somewhere I come on Mumsnet, but I have a challenge for you clued in people. I am an academic in the Engineering department of a university. I'm going to the student ball and I need something to wear. I will literally be 30 years older than any other woman there (all the female students are in their late teens/ early 20's, I am in my mid 50's). I need a dress suitable for a ball (with ceilidh dancing so probably short rather than long), that is social media proof - no low necklines, no splits, no risk of dodgy pictures, less than £100 and suitable for a fairly well proportioned size 16, medium height woman. Help!!

ElspethFlashman Wed 08-Mar-17 10:33:28

Try Coast - they're having a mid season sale at the moment so you'll find less than £100 there. Though tbh some of their full price dresses are like £110 anyway.

JennyOnAPlate Wed 08-Mar-17 10:37:33

Monsoon is my go-to for weddings/balls. I'm 37 and size 18.

Nettletheelf Wed 08-Mar-17 10:44:22

Why not book a personal shopping appointment at John Lewis or similar? Then you can see what shapes work.

By the way, kudos to you for being a female academic in engineering.

sparlesandedges Wed 08-Mar-17 11:00:19

John Lewis online have some bargains
http://www.johnlewis.com/adrianna-papell-extended-cap-sleeve-fit-and-flare-dress-ink/p2889371

http://www.johnlewis.com/jacques-vert-lace-bodice-chiffon-dress/p2431460?colour=Light%20Grey

PerspicaciaTick Wed 08-Mar-17 11:04:24

House of Fraser has lots of gowns in your price and size range.

This one is pretty and a good length for dancing.
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Biba+Short+sleeve+40s+maxi+dress/228712770,default,pd.html

chemenger Wed 08-Mar-17 13:14:05

By the way, kudos to you for being a female academic in engineering.

Thanks, normally a great advantage of being an engineering academic is that it takes very little effort to be in the top 10% of stylish people in my field!

blueskyinmarch Wed 08-Mar-17 13:29:44

I am the same age and size as you. Phase Eight is my go to shop for evening dresses.

Lucked Wed 08-Mar-17 13:34:21

jaeger dress it needs a statement necklace.

chemenger Wed 08-Mar-17 13:44:43

Phase Eight is my usual go to but I don't see anything there that fits the bill. I really like the Biba one but it is not available in my size. I like the Jaeger one but it does need a necklace and I have a horrible metal allergy that means necklaces usually bring me out in huge blotches and lumps! I don't have time to do a personal shopper, but my own personal student (dd) is home at the weekend so maybe she can stand in.

Floisme Wed 08-Mar-17 13:49:29

I'm a little bit older. I don't know about you (because, as I'm always saying on here, we don't all look the same) but I'm finding 'occasion dresses' no longer work for me: too fussy, too floaty, too shiny.
If it was me, I would want structure, clean lines, ease of movement and sleeves (no shrugs).
I've never been to a student ball so not sure how formal they are but, the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted by tuxedo trousers with a silk shirt. And a great bit of jewellery (doesn't have to be expensive) to lift it.
If challenged, I would tell them I identified as a man - I doubt a university would dare argue wink

MorelloKisses Wed 08-Mar-17 19:18:33

How about a resin necklace instead of metal?

PrimalLass Thu 09-Mar-17 12:29:19

You could maybe get away with a belt rather than a necklace with the Jaeger dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now