Talk

Advanced search

Feminist slogan tees everywhere!

(13 Posts)
AFierceBadRabbit Tue 07-Mar-17 20:18:47

What's this about?
It kind of irks me, but I can't explain why.

I mean, sure, I suppose I am a feminist, I consider all genders to be equal and all that, but I wouldn't be seen dead in one of these.

But surely it's like taking a serious message, and important issue and crapping all over it for fucks sake.

Mini rant, that's all.
Good ladies of MN, would you wear it?

(pics via topshop)

AFierceBadRabbit Tue 07-Mar-17 20:21:58

Basically I witnessed two teens looking at them today laughing, one said 'oh my god that's so stupid, but i like it'.
I thought 'yeh, that stupid word is the reason you will be able to fucking vote in a few yrs, haha!'

Help me not combust.

ClaryIsTheBest Tue 07-Mar-17 20:40:54

Sure. But on a shirt?

That is stupid imo.

HoneyDragon Tue 07-Mar-17 20:42:29

Hopefully they meant just writing feminist on a tshirt as a fashion statement was stupid.

Floisme Tue 07-Mar-17 20:42:38

I don't see what the problem is - crossovers between fashion and politics are nothing new.

Off the top of my head, I've worn 'Anti Nazi League', 'Reclaim the Night' 'CND' (That was cheeky as I wasn't a member) and 'Women against Pit Closures.'

So what if not everyone gets it? Maybe they'll ask and learn something, maybe not.

What I wouldn't do is buy a T shirt from Philip Green.

Penhacked Tue 07-Mar-17 20:50:00

yeah, I think it's ok. I think it is the whole 'reclaiming the word' thing. Just trying to say, yes I am, so what? I might get some done with the word 'vulva' on the front grin bet they would just fly off the shelves.

ClaryIsTheBest Tue 07-Mar-17 20:50:33

"I don't see what the problem is - crossovers between fashion and politics are nothing new."

Well, yes. But feminism is so many different things. I vehemently disagree with some feminist ideas supported by some feminists.
And I agree with other ideas.

So, it's just slightly weird wearing a shirt with a very political slogan that has so many different connotations.

AFierceBadRabbit Tue 07-Mar-17 20:54:52

Somehow I hugely suspect corporate fat cats like topshop dont give a monkey's f about feminism. They sure don't seem to give all that may f's about fair pay and the well being of their third world 'female' child workers.

When something hits the shelves in this bland a manner I don't particularly feel pride.

AFierceBadRabbit Tue 07-Mar-17 20:55:57

Just to clarify - the world feminist on a tee is fair play.
The world feminist on a high street store tee kind of doesn't convince me.

AFierceBadRabbit Tue 07-Mar-17 20:56:17

word

Floisme Tue 07-Mar-17 22:04:50

Well Top Shop will never see another penny of my money as long as Philip and Tina are in change so I guess I agree with you on that point.

AFierceBadRabbit Wed 08-Mar-17 00:04:22

floisme yes

herecomesthsun Wed 08-Mar-17 06:49:07

some references
- see also "We should all be feminists" tee and the Women's march.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now