Talk

Advanced search

Highlights - first time! What do I ask for?

(11 Posts)
LtGreggs Tue 07-Mar-17 19:37:56

I've got my sister's wedding coming up in about 6 weeks time and want to look good for her smile. I think I'd like to get some highlights in my hair to look a bit more elegant /groomed/lovely. However, I haven't really got the money to keep on with regular hairdresser bills to keep maintaining colour.

I've never had hair professionally coloured - can you advise on what I ask for?

Can I ask them to so something that will look OK as it grows out?? What do I ask for??

Hair is thick, wavy, (very) dark brown with a bit of grey in it. (I'm not so bothered about the grey - I'm 45 and got away quite well with the greying I think!). My overall colouring is pale skin but with freckles and green/brown eyes. I have a dark blue dress for the wedding.

Thank you style gurus.

alc3254 Tue 07-Mar-17 19:45:43

Ask for something 'natural' looking...smaller/fine highlights will look better as they grow out...might also be a good idea to choose a few colours...to add tone/depth as this may be easier to grow out too.

LtGreggs Tue 07-Mar-17 19:58:23

Thanks - do you mean a few colours rather than just one colour? Or something specifically about the colours to choose (I am clueless about process!)

ImLadybird Tue 07-Mar-17 20:11:57

It might be worth asking for a short (15 minute) consultation to discuss what you want and what they can suggest, before the appointment itself to save time on appointment day. Also, some places insist on doing a skin test in advance of the colouring to make sure you're not going to react to the products on your scalp. This would need doing in advance too, obviously. And make sure you allow a good 2-2.5 hours for the appointment! I got caught out when I first had highlights!

Bodicea Tue 07-Mar-17 20:34:46

If you don't intend to keep it up I would ask for something like balayage ( painted freehand) or a veil ( top layer of hair left) so that tou don't get bad roots as it grows out.
Don't stray too far away from your natural colour.

ImLadybird Tue 07-Mar-17 20:46:58

Yes, I was thinking of a veil too. It's what I did the very first time. So the very top layer of your hair from your parting isn't coloured so you don't get a sharp re-growth line.

LtGreggs Tue 07-Mar-17 21:05:55

Thanks - veil idea sounds good in terms of regrowth. I'll give hairdresser a ring tomorrow & nervously go for a consult!

LtGreggs Tue 07-Mar-17 21:07:23

If I did want to keep it up, how often does it need redone?

motheroreily Tue 07-Mar-17 22:07:54

I didn't know it was called a veil.

But that's what I came on to suggest. That's what I have. It's so low maintenance because you can't see the roots. I only get the highlights done once a year.

Alwaysrushingaround Tue 07-Mar-17 22:08:52

Depends on how fast your hair grows really - not being smart smile but usually a good guide is 4-6 weeks
Hope you enjoy the wedding x

ImLadybird Tue 07-Mar-17 22:23:51

I have mine done every six weeks. It's a bloody PITA and I try not to resent spending the money because it's my only indulgence. I don't spend loads on clothes, make-up, bags, shoes, wine, going out etc. Plus I love my hairdresser and I'd really miss her and our chats if I stopped going!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now