Talk

Advanced search

Bath Or Shower - Girlie Debate

(19 Posts)
Illegallyblonde123 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:43:06

I was staying at a friend's on a girlie trip at the weekend and as a few of us were getting ready, I asked if I could take a quick bath before the rest arrived.

It sparked a random debate between washing your hair in the bath or shower.

Personally I love baths, I have one every day (hence why asking my friend if she minded when we were getting ready).

It was 50/50 between our group of you can clean your hair properly in the bath water.

I have fine, shoulder length hair and always wash it in the bath water. The best way I find to rinse out shampoo or conditioner is to hold my nose and go completely under and that leaves my hair feeling nice and clean.

One friend said the water is too dirty and another said they were scared of drowning. I have yet to suffer dirty hair or need a lifeguard. grin

Personally I always feel more relaxed when taking a bath, love completely submerging myself (it's so warm under there) and feel completely clean afterwards too.

So I'm interested in this mini debate. Back me up girlies, am I weird for washing my hair in the bath?

Fuzzypeggy Mon 06-Mar-17 17:44:53

I don't think it's weird at all but I would say that showering has to leave hair cleaner as with a bath you are rinsing in water that has shampoo, soap and anything else in. I wouldn't worry about that though if your hair looks and feels nice .

FoodGloriousFud Mon 06-Mar-17 17:45:59

I like a bath to relax but would always have a shower after to wash by body and hair. I think it's icky washing in a bath you've been sitting in. Also I like bath salts which I don't think would be good on hair.

Penguin27 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:47:12

I was thinking this the other day!! I have thick, long hair so really struggle washing it in general (laziness also has something to do with it!) I usually wash it in the shower. I did wash it in the bath the other day, although it felt nice to have all my hair completely submerged, I don't think it rinsed very well... I felt that I had to wash it again the next day (which is unheard of for me)

highinthesky Mon 06-Mar-17 17:47:40

Shower, definitely!

Fear of drowning whilst washing hair in the bath? confused

dementedpixie Mon 06-Mar-17 17:48:06

I wash it in the bath sometimes by using those shower hoses that attach to the bath taps. I prefer washing it in the shower though

BabbleLands Mon 06-Mar-17 18:19:33

Oh Lordy, this is a nightmare!

If I need to wash my hair, but fancy a bath, I have to shower first in order to wash my hair (and body gets washed too as by product of the process...) and then get into the bath.

So in summary - shower is best for function - but bath essential for relaxing in. Hth

peoplepleaser70 Mon 06-Mar-17 18:25:17

I bath every time, then just rinse my hair and body in the shower afterwards?

Matchstickbox Mon 06-Mar-17 18:25:20

Shower to wash hair, bath to relax or shave legs. Couldn't rinse conditioner in a bath. Just wrong wink

MissJC Mon 06-Mar-17 18:29:35

Whatever mood I am in, If I want a bath I wash my hair in there doing the old submersion as you say, then if I fancy a shower then shower it is! There is not set rules, as long as you don't smell like a rabid squirrel then the bath/shower has done the job!

Ifonlyiweretaller Mon 06-Mar-17 21:28:25

Surely if you shave your legs in the bath you then have all the shaved hairs floating in the water all around you?

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 06-Mar-17 21:30:54

I love baths, they're one of my favourite things, but to me they're a leisure activity (bath, magazines, couple of hours) and not for getting clean. I always have a shower and wash my hair after a bath.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 06-Mar-17 21:33:47

Oh, and last summer our shower packed in so it was baths at 6.30am before work until the new one was fitted - I used a big jug to wash my hair with rather than dunk my head in the water. Those were NOT a fun few days.

Illegallyblonde123 Mon 06-Mar-17 23:20:01

Some good back ups to my debate, thanks everyone. My friend is still unconvinced at my safety though grin.

Yes good point with the shaving. I would always leave that until last because floating hairs around isn't nice.

Even when my hair was a bit longer, I never had a problem rinsing properly in the bath. Simple, hold nose and go right under the water and the shampoo comes right out plus it's lovely and relaxing too. I can pretend I didn't hear the kids shouting up when at home. "Sorry, mummy was underwater, she didn't hear haha.

ChishandFips33 Tue 07-Mar-17 00:38:39

I LOVE a bath but wash hair afterwards over the bath with the shower attachment

Also have fine hair and mine would be lank otherwise

Illegallyblonde123 Fri 10-Mar-17 11:52:38

An update on the wonder of the girlie debate (for a bit of fun).

Caught up with my scared of going underwater in case you drown friend for coffee at lunch yesterday.

She has finally conquered her fears and decided to wash her hair in the bath. She said she also managed to fully submerge herself under water and didn't drown haha. Her long brown hair looked wonderful too so she is now sold on taking more baths.

Good for her (and I'm now ahead on my debate). Oh the simple things in life her? smile

BusterTheBulldog Fri 10-Mar-17 13:41:31

When I stay at parents house I wash hair in bath as you describe op. At home I wash in shower-hair looks exactly the same either method!

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Fri 10-Mar-17 15:47:31

If you wash your hair in the bath you can't rinse the shampoo out in the bath water, apply conditioner and then rinse that out with the same water.

chipsandpeas Fri 10-Mar-17 15:50:15

If I wash my hair in the bath I have a jug that I fill from the tap to rinse as rinsing by sticking my head under bath water doesn't sound clean to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now