Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do navy and black go together?

(16 Posts)
NotMyMonkey Mon 06-Mar-17 16:58:43

Hi, I'm useless with anything fashion related so would really appreciate any help!

I've got an event to go to next week and have finally found a dress that I like. It's a navy swing dress, one of those lace over fabric numbers so not too plain.

Trouble is I only have black shoes and fitted jacket to wear with it (can't afford new ones).

Is navy and black a big no no??

I could forget the fitted jacket but the shoes will have to be black.

Any options/advice much appreciated.

Thanks

PrettyGoodLife Mon 06-Mar-17 17:05:13

Some would say it is a big no, but style is all about attitude! A big smile and no one will notice. Also, is many lights it may be difficult to see tell the difference between navy and black.

ILoveMyMonkey Mon 06-Mar-17 17:11:47

I wear a navy skirt to work with black tights and black shoes but never pair it with a black top. I reckon the shoes will be fine, could you take a photo with the jacket on so we can see what it looks like?

Belindabelle Mon 06-Mar-17 17:19:39

I really like navy and black together as long as the navy is not too dark and the black is good quality deep proper black. Mind you I am hardly a style maven.

AFierceBadRabbit Mon 06-Mar-17 17:23:06

It's certainly not unusual to mix them anymore, seems a bit of a dated outlook to me. I've been wearing both for yrs!

NotMyMonkey Mon 06-Mar-17 17:32:41

Thanks everyone.

Good to know it's not a total no no!

I haven't actually got the dress yet, I'm waiting for it to be delivered so can't take a photo yet. But will update when it arrives.

I'm thinking I might ditch the jacket (and freeze grin) but keep to black shoes?

What about tan coloured tights? Are they acceptable or stick with black?

I'm so useless at this stuff!

Thanks again.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 06-Mar-17 17:34:55

I was going to say ditch the jacket too

bojorojo Mon 06-Mar-17 17:34:59

Black shoes fine. No one will look at them. Black jacket not ideal and how will it sit over a swing dress? Can't you just wear a full length coat? I assume the event is inside and you could just wear the dress. Swing dresses are not really designed for jackets.

NotMyMonkey Mon 06-Mar-17 18:20:26

Ok, so I'll ditch the jacket but stick with the shoes.

Event is indoor so should be fine.

What about the tights? Black or tan do you think?

RandomWordsandaNumber5 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:05:34

Nude tights would be my choice. If you're chilly how about a wrap in a neutral colour just till you warm up?

NotMyMonkey Mon 06-Mar-17 20:45:03

Great idea, thanks.

I'm so clueless, thank God for MN!

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 06-Mar-17 20:47:47

I'd wear navy tights.

ILoveMyMonkey Mon 06-Mar-17 20:50:40

Agree with nude tights.

keeprunninguphill Mon 06-Mar-17 21:02:26

Simple answer- NO!

Slipperyknickers Mon 06-Mar-17 21:03:12

No

CoolCarrie Mon 06-Mar-17 21:07:54

Yes, wear what you like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now