Talk

Advanced search

Annoying descriptions on menus

(10 Posts)
Cackleberry4 Mon 06-Mar-17 11:00:41

A friend has sent me a link to a restaurant menu for a night out she is planning.

I've taken a quick look and can already feel my skin itching reading it.

A starter has 'grated riserva'. I can take an educated guess as to what they mean but I shouldn't have to guess.

The ice cream and sorbets aren't specified, instead I should ask our server 'to find out' what the offering is that day. WTAF??? Why doesn't my server get briefed at the beginning of their shift or just think on their feet and ask?

Please tell me I'm not alone in being irritated with poorly written menus?

Softkitty2 Mon 06-Mar-17 11:01:51

Style and beauty?

Cackleberry4 Mon 06-Mar-17 11:19:47

Sorry sofykitty, you've lost me?!?!?

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 06-Mar-17 11:26:35

I think the 'to find out' means that the server answers you with up to date info on the ices. Rather than you indicating to the servers that it's time that they should depart and find out and come back yo you with the info.

And Yeh, heh at Style and Beauty. grin

Cackleberry4 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:03:05

Chaos, the actual statement on the menu is "Ask one of our team to find out this season's flavour."

Still confuddled by Style and Beauty comment, but I'm new to mumsnet so am learning the subtle nuances.

IMissGin Mon 06-Mar-17 12:04:54

You've posted in the style and beauty topic

Cackleberry4 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:12:21

Aaah....now it all makes sense! I thought I'd posted in AIBU.

Loosely I am grumbling about menu styles so perhaps I'm not too far off, she says with fingers and toes crossed 🙄

WipsGlitter Mon 06-Mar-17 12:23:44

You ask the server and they tell you the answer is what that means. confused

MorelloKisses Mon 06-Mar-17 12:30:18

"In order to find out about the ices, ask our server"

Cackleberry4 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:31:36

Doh! I just didn't read it that way and envisaged the server running off to the kitchen to find out rather than me finding out from their prompt response ;-) Doh and double doh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now