Talk

Advanced search

What make up for a 45 year old

(12 Posts)
TartYvette Mon 06-Mar-17 10:06:18

I have emerged from the fog that began with a positive pregnancy test and feels like 1,000,000 babies later only to discover that I am 15 years older and look every day of my 45 years. Way back when my life was my own I used to buy Clarins and Mac make up but in rearing the 1,000,000 I haven't had time to do more than slap some moisturiser on occasionally. Now I am in the position of being able to spend a bit on myself and had a make over by a clinique rep who made me look like a clown She was young and probably applied make up as she would on herself but I am blessed with canyons and crevices that her make up sank into and emphasised. So who do I go to? I had imagined going to a Clarins counter having a make over and buying what they suggested. Any tips as to how to get the most out of this investment? Bearing in mind the million kids still are quite demanding on my time so I need quick fix make up but I don't want to look like their grandmother just yet. Tia!

JazzFunk Mon 06-Mar-17 10:31:51

My no.1 favourite product atm is the Stila 10 in 1 illuminating beauty balm. I apply it with a stippling brush, like a foundation, and the results are fab. It is like wearing a really light foundation, but also has a really glowy, dewy finish to it - I swear it takes ten years off me smile. And despite looking 'glowy' it doesn't turn into an oil slick five minutes later.

Cream blush is also good - IMO when you get to your 40's it's all about adding a bit of a glow. On a rush day, I can get away with the Stila, blush, mascara and a bit of lip gloss and I'm all done.

JazzFunk Mon 06-Mar-17 10:32:34

I also really like Smashbox so their counter may be worth a go smile

Cousinit Mon 06-Mar-17 10:34:40

Marking my place. 44 years old with similar issues, OP grin

AprilLady Mon 06-Mar-17 11:00:52

I'm a similar age and was in a similar position a few months ago. I booked a Bobbi Brown "nude" make up tutorial, and got a lovely lady around my age doing the demo. I ended up buying some of the key items from them, which I've supplemented with cheaper stuff elsewhere to complete. I've been pleased with the result - I look more together, but not like I'm caked in heavy make up.

Softkitty2 Mon 06-Mar-17 11:00:58

Bobbi brown, estee lauder, laura mercier are good for mature skin; try nars aswell. Their are stuff i like from each of these places. Go to maybe john lewis to try different brands.

ElspethFlashman Mon 06-Mar-17 11:05:27

If you want a glow, the Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser is meant to be good. You could just slap it on and go.

FinallyHere Mon 06-Mar-17 12:20:28

I found these people brilliant, for lessons and lovely products tailored to suit exactly you

https://www.cosmeticsalacarte.com/services/personalised-lessons/

They advertise only through word of mouth, make all their products in their factory in Battersea. Brilliant.

slug Mon 06-Mar-17 12:27:28

Buy some cheap primer. This one has SPF and is a bit on the illuminating side Put a blob in your palm and mix in a few drops of your foundation/BB/CC cream. Rub this into your face. It's not as heavy as foundation and stays put.

This works for my 51 year old skin far better than any posh/expensive foundation that simply settles into the cracks. Added to which, it's cheap as chips.

Lespritdelsietanner Mon 06-Mar-17 15:52:42

I am 47 and these days my complexion is fairly dry and dull. I find that the foundations I used to use don't cut it anymore. The colours are too murky and sludgy looking on me, colour wise they make me look like a King Edward potato.

I read a rave review of Light Expert by Terry in one of the Sunday supplements well over a year ago. The article written by a woman over 45 said it made her skin glow, covered dark circles and blemishes and was an all round winner for more mature skin. It sounded amazing so I gave it a go and it really is fabulous. It makes my skin look fresher and brighter, gives great coverage (particularly of areas of redness that I have acquired with age) and yet it is very light wear.

I couldn't do without it. It's the only make-up I buy that isn't high street - for everything else I stick to Rimmel or Max Factor.

bleughhh Mon 06-Mar-17 16:14:39

Yup - I second the illuminating tinted moisturiser by Laura mercier and the By Terry foundations/tinted moisturisers. Both at SpaceNK. Get yourself to a good one at a quietish time and book a makeover. It's free but you should find a foundation you like and a nice cream blusher - I love Nars too (the ubiquitous 'orgasm' suits me but it's quite peachy - the multiple/cream is less sparkly than the powder - 'deep throat' is good too for a lot of people - awful names....). You can buy much cheaper eyeliner, mascara (maybelline is good as is Benefit - more expensive but not space NK prices). I like the candlelight glow powder from laura mercier at the moment.

Tinted lip balms are great too. Benefit do a very pinky one and By Terry do peachier pinks if that suits your colouring more.

If you want a good concealer (most of us in our 40s do!), I really like Nars radiant touch. Works under eyes and on pigmentation spots - I can't be faffed with different products for different 'imperfections'. Bobbi Brown do a 'corrector' that you follow up with a concealer/eye brightener but I'm never going to do all that, even before a night out.

Give a very specific brief - explain you haven't worn much make-up for ages and want something quick and easy to apply that gives you a bit of a glow. No 'smokey eyes' or anything (yet...). Have fun!!

SirNiallDementia Mon 06-Mar-17 16:35:17

I'm in the same boat as you op.

I went to one of the make up counters in Debenhams and asked the lady for advice, I should have known not to approach her, she was bright orange with trowelled on make up and stencilled slug eyebrows.

I walked away looking like an oompah loompa.

Returned today and sat with a lovely 40 something (under made up) lady on the Estée Lauder counter who tried a primer and foundation on me, she found the exact shade for me and I look about 10 years younger. I couldn't afford the whole look so I went to boots where most of the ranges (L'Oréal, maybelline etc) have 342 offers on to get a mascara, eye palette and lipstick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now