Talk

Advanced search

Help needed, Wedding on farm 🤔

(18 Posts)
honeylou42 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:32:39

Next Weekend, what the heck could I wear. I was going to wear a lace dress with a leather biker jacket over, but am having a major wobble about it. TBH who the heck gets married on a farm in march, I'm sure it will be freezing. Please help me with ideas ?

Lilaclily Sun 05-Mar-17 21:34:05

Is the actual wedding outside or in a barn ? I'd wear skinny black trousers with high heels and a tunic top over, depending on what suits you of course

kelper Sun 05-Mar-17 21:37:49

My friend got married on a farm in April, I ended up wearing a lovely dress from Joe Browns, for the ceremony (In a barn) i wore heels, but then changed into some baseball boot style trainers from Next for the rest of the day/night.
I think I ended up with a wine jacket so didn't feel the cold so much, but what you're wearing sounds fine (Maybe add some nice thick tights!)

honeylou42 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:41:11

Thanks for your help , it's in a barn so I'm hoping it will be heated and I was going to wear heels too but don't fancy being up to my ankles in cow muck grin

DirtyBlonde Sun 05-Mar-17 21:49:28

I suppose this is the out-of-festival-season occasion for glamorous wellies.

Capacious handbag for shoes until you're safely in lovely barn (or whatever) and peg to keep wellies together once you take them off.

Thermal undies (which can be whipped off and stuffed into capacious handbag when it warms up) and fleece tights.

puglife15 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:51:35

I've been to a few farm weddings not in march though

Take some boots/wellies with you, and if you wear heels go for a wedge and closed toe. Also take a massive wool scarf (aka blanket).

I'd take a hardy black ankle boot which could work with your dress and jacket in an edgy way.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 05-Mar-17 21:55:45

You might just be sitting on bales of straw, if the barn-dances of my youth are anything to go by, so no delicate fabrics and sensible footwear would be my advide smile

Nettletheelf Sun 05-Mar-17 23:13:07

You need to find out whether that barn has heating!! I suggest a thermal vest and many layers in addition to the good advice you've already had.

This puts me in mind of a thread I once read on here about a poor woman who went to an al fresco wedding in Sweden where the guests spent most of the day huddling under a gazebo shivering. Don't let that be you!

ChocolateSherberts2017 Mon 06-Mar-17 03:57:18

Put a thermal vest/leggings under your frock & some glittery wellies on your foot grin

MalletsMallets Mon 06-Mar-17 04:42:54

www.wellywarehouse.co.uk/evercreatures-i-do-ribbon-wedding-wellies-cream

Ask the bride how farmy the barn is. But these might be useful.

Wallywobbles Mon 06-Mar-17 05:00:13

You really need to check you facts. Farms are not necessarily ankle deep in shit and you could end up looking like a real towny twit (to be polite). Plenty of farms are owned by people with helicopters and sports cars and no shit or even animals anywhere. If the other guests are in their couture dresses you will look very foolish. Have a little listen to Jennifer in the Archers!

herecomesthsun Mon 06-Mar-17 06:56:20

If you arrive in a car, you could bring some changes of clothing with you (I hate being cold).

I went a long way to a very posh wedding on a farm to end up standing around in a muddy straw filled marquee being plied with champagne - but given no food. Having a puffa jacket, wellies and emergency snacks in the car would be good!

marshallsbadhairday Mon 06-Mar-17 10:07:27

I think I'd assume that it will be clean once you get inside the barn, I'd be in long boots, tights, dress and a nice wool coat that I could leave on if need be and yes to the huge scarf (aka blanket). I have been to some clean farms but they were still blooming cold!

I would also agree with the idea of keeping emergency jeans, wellies and puffa jacket in the car.

On the up side the food will probably be amazing, the last farm wedding I went to had a selection of meats cooked on a spit, all locally produced and more than you could eat. Amazing.

parklives Mon 06-Mar-17 13:45:38

I've been to a barn wedding in Nov. Lots of mud and no heating (they said there would be heating which was one fan heater for the whole place) Spent the whole day freezing and wishing it was all over as I couldn't get into the mood as I was so cold.
My advise is lots of layers and take a blanket to warm up in for the long speeches!

parklives Mon 06-Mar-17 13:46:59

The mud wasn't inside the barn for clarification, just on the way there as there wasn't any parking next to the barn.

MalletsMallets Mon 06-Mar-17 14:06:11

Thats it isn't it, farm wedding could be anything from standing in a muddy field for pictures with cows, or a fancy chandelier filled barn and anything in-between

MadisonAvenue Mon 06-Mar-17 14:13:31

I assume it's a designated wedding venue? Could you look at its site, assuming it has one, to get an idea of what to expect so that you can plan accordingly?

Kr1stina Mon 06-Mar-17 14:24:06

You to check out the venue.

I'm going to a farm wedding in May and it's vair posh . Former farm converted into luxury wedding venue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now