Talk

Advanced search

Dressing up basic black warbrobe basics

(20 Posts)
BabbleLands Sun 05-Mar-17 15:19:31

How can I appear less 'all black' & dull?
I'm attempting to keep all the basics black (with few other neutrals ) as aiming for a minimal capsule wardrobe.

My challenge is how to stop looking dull, dreary & bland (which I find black and grey can look on me, making me look, errr, quite 'grey'.

I would like some metallic sneakers as in my head I imagine they world de-boringify an outfit- but when I try them on they just look wrong and odd, as I a have Belisha beacons on my feet.

If wearing them with skirt - do you wear with dark tights? If wearing with jeans, what ( if any) socks?

Help please..

bingohandjob Sun 05-Mar-17 15:39:02

I wear a lot of monochrome/neutrals. Give them a bit of oomph with contrast accessories - scarf, shoes, tights, jewellery, bags etc. Leopard print, metallics, bold yellows, reds and green. I really like black and white stripes, polka dots in tops/skirts and dresses as well. I felt wearing eg bold yellow or silver shoes looked, or rather felt odd but I got past that as got so many compliments!

Kennington Sun 05-Mar-17 16:01:03

I wear all black. Texture is important too. Velvet, satin and wool are all great in black.
I jazz everything up with coloured jewellery and a few splashes of glitter.
Black is great!!

BabbleLands Sun 05-Mar-17 16:05:09

I've been emboldened to order some rose gold sneaker... hopefully they won't make me feel too clown like.

I agree re scarves etc but struggle with florals.

What colour bags do you think work well with blacks and neutrals?

I saw someone at supermarket earlier who looked great, she was wearing black trousers/ jeans, navy and white Breton too with bold mustard yellow cropped jumper on the top. I loved the yellow, must buy more yellow.

Has anyone seen any yellow items on their travels...?

BabbleLands Sun 05-Mar-17 16:06:11

Kennington, great to see another black fan!

How do you wear your splashes of glitter?

Floisme Sun 05-Mar-17 16:25:17

I don't think people who suit black and grey need to oomph them up. They just look great them, full stop. So I can't help wondering why you're trying to build your wardrobe around colours that, by your own admission, make you look dull, dreary & bland?

You can base a minimal wardrobe on any colour. It doesn't have to be black or grey or even a so-called neutral. Why not pick one that suits you to start with?

BabbleLands Sun 05-Mar-17 16:59:44

It's not that it doesn't suit me Flo, just that i feel it looks a bit dull sometimes.

Floisme Sun 05-Mar-17 18:22:16

Ok, I only mentioned it because I find that if a colour looks dull then it's a sign that it's not really right for me. But I'm not trying to tell you what does or doesn't suit you - you're the best judge of that, not me!

Dulcimena Sun 05-Mar-17 19:18:51

I often wear all black, but I generally wear different fabrics and textures to break it up. I don't try to add oomph, but this winter I have been wearing grey opaques with an otherwise all black outfit, if that's what you mean. I'm not a fan of colour with black, makes me feel like a ladybird or bumble bee or something. Just my opinion, but I think it can look a bit cheap.

Niminy Sun 05-Mar-17 19:25:43

I mostly wear all black for work, but generally have something colourful somewhere - shoes, for instance. Today I was wearing black wide leg crops, black top, and yellow trainers. I also have silver and cherry red brogues, and a bright red and pink coat.

Gah81 Sun 05-Mar-17 19:26:02

I agree with Dulcimena on the colours + black front - I personally think that the colours that look chicest with (all) black are other neutrals e.g. grey, white, navy, brown/tan. Think metallics can look good so love the idea of metallic shoes with an all black outfit, OP.

Dulcimena Sun 05-Mar-17 19:35:19

Actually yes, I agree that coloured shoes can look great against an otherwise all black outfit - but personally I would go with a contrasting neutral like taupe or tan. But maybe I am not v adventurous (she writes, in black skinnies, black jumper and white trainers wink ).

BabbleLands Mon 06-Mar-17 11:27:56

My problem is that as I like black, I find myself adding black to black, then more black. It's all very black. I need help adding strategically placed contrasts.

Agree that neutrals work. But today I'm wearing all black with a black and coral pink print scarf.

I'm eagerly awaiting the rose gold sneakers I've ordered. Think a nonblack shoe (s) could be the key.
I just hope they are not too shiny. I was alarmed by how mirror like the last pair of silver Supergas were. I don't need to see reflections of my jowls whenever I glance downwards; least of all distorted spoon like reflections of them...

BabbleLands Mon 06-Mar-17 11:35:10

Has anyone any tips on how to wear metallic sneakers with a skirt/ opaque tights? Is it even possible?

Niminy Mon 06-Mar-17 11:45:47

I wear metallic shoes with black a lot - with trousers, with skirts and dresses/opaque tights. There's no trick to it, it's just a matter of getting used to having sparkly feet. Over the years I've been doing it I have had loads of compliments. If I were to say one thing it is that the shinier the shoe the plainer it needs to be. So I have plainish silver DMs, plimsoll-like trainers and brogues all of which get worn with dresses and skirts.

BabbleLands Mon 06-Mar-17 18:31:42

Thanks niminy. I'm going to need to get used to shiny feet- have ordered Zara metallic brogues as well as Rose gold sneakers!

troodiedoo Mon 06-Mar-17 18:37:01

I've got gold reeboks and they go with everything, and they bring joy to all who see them. Seriously.

Kennington Mon 06-Mar-17 18:52:11

Splashes of glittter on jumpers or sparkly thread.
Try velvet, it works so well.
Am glad I found someone who doesn't think black is boring.
Fringing on boots and suede is also good!!

ChocolateSherberts2017 Mon 06-Mar-17 18:58:13

I wear a lot of black & navy but hardly near my face, I stick to creams, whites and neutrals near my face.

I also put a few drops of foundation in my face cream and then put a bit of blusher bronzer on to warm up my complexion.

Yes to accessories in different colours and textures. You can make the same outfit look different by changing accessories.

RandomWordsandaNumber5 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:00:36

A bright handbag is an easy way of adding colour; a thin belt is another. Opaques in a plum colour can also be very striking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now