Talk

Advanced search

Spots on face - what to use to dry them out?

(20 Posts)
CatBean Sun 05-Mar-17 09:52:06

Hi,

I had alot of acne when I was young which cleared up after using roaccutane. However spots are now coming back, with one new one a day. What could I use to dry them out? Should I go to see the GP? I'd prefer to buy something over the counter (even if at a pharmacy) as its a pain attempting to get an appointment here!

Thanks smile

LemonRedwood Sun 05-Mar-17 09:53:16

I zap mine with sudocrem. Slap it on, leave overnight, much better in the morning.

barcelo Sun 05-Mar-17 10:15:17

Benzoyl Peroxide

Maudlinmaud Sun 05-Mar-17 10:23:50

I use Eucerin dermo purifyer hydrating care moisturiser. Sorry it has such a long name smile I was prone to hormonal breakouts and don't get them since using this. I ran out last month and they came back, replaced it and gone. Magic for me. Worth a try?

irishlass1234 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:24:58

I've heard of putting toothpaste on, works for me!

bingohandjob Sun 05-Mar-17 10:31:00

I get a monthly period related break out - this is brilliant, nips them in the bud www.boots.com/origins-super-spot-remover-blemish-treatment-gel-10ml-10125490

Heratnumber7 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:34:16

Toothpaste over night

Elledouble Sun 05-Mar-17 10:36:12

This Witch hazel/tea tree gel is good - good for minor injuries like cuts, burns and insect bites too.

Botanicbaby Sun 05-Mar-17 10:49:02

Witch hazel is excellent. Don't try too many things at once though that may make them worse.

burnishedsilver Sun 05-Mar-17 10:53:28

Benzoyl Peroxide.

BikeRunSki Sun 05-Mar-17 10:54:57

Toothpaste, Sudocreme

stonecircle Sun 05-Mar-17 10:59:38

Cat bean - as a life long spot sufferer, I'm always drawn to these threads. The trouble is, a spot to one person might be a large, hard, painful, pustular lump which will be with you for weeks. To others it's a small pimple which will be gone in a couple of days.

I doubt very much that a dab of Sudocrem or witch hazel will make much difference to the former!

I ended up having 3 courses of Roaccutane during my 20s and 30s. Now in my 50s and still getting a few spots. Decades of trying have taught me that there are no particularly effective over the counter remedies. If your skin is bothering you, and they're not just pimples that a dab of tcp would dry up, I would go back to your GP.

MeganChips Sun 05-Mar-17 11:01:07

Definitely Benzoyl Peroxide, it really works.

In my late thirties I suddenly got a bad bout of acne and this pretty much saved my skin. It's been difficult to get hold of for a few years but Boots now do one called Acnecide over the counter.

ohidoliketobe Sun 05-Mar-17 11:02:08

Sudocrem or toothpaste with high fluoride content sort mine out

Wolpertinger Sun 05-Mar-17 11:42:51

Benzoyl peroxide or a proper BHA product - Paula's Choice 2% is the Queen of BHA.

For a product to dry out individual spots Vichy Hyaluspot is fantastic but what you really want is a daily product like the BHA to stop them appearing in the first place.

Poppins2016 Sun 05-Mar-17 15:07:06

I'm in a similar situation and took a course of roaccutane in my early twenties. I don't feel my skin is bad enough to warrant another referral/course of roaccutane now, however I don't have 100% clear skin, especially depending where I'm at with my monthly cycle.

I use Savlon on the affected areas at the first sign of a flare up. I really notice the difference those months I don't use it.

Gah81 Sun 05-Mar-17 19:34:28

Mario Badescu Drying Lotion - be careful though to apply it only to the spot itself, can really dry out the surrounding areas but works a treat smile

Dulcimena Sun 05-Mar-17 19:37:13

Hibiscrub and a blister plaster to drain them overnight if they've been opened picked

hazeyjane Sun 05-Mar-17 19:41:57

As a pp said, it depends what sort of spots.

I get large, painful, deep spots that last for weeks. The only thing that has ever made any difference are courses of one a day antibiotics. But these only work for a while and then they return.

Beautifullymixed Sun 05-Mar-17 21:52:14

The ordinary azelaic acid.
Seems to calm down redness and spots overnight.
Stings like anything at first though, so I used it over serums/moisturisers, as the very last step.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now