Talk

Advanced search

Style me as a sophisticated mature adult for a job interview please

(6 Posts)
Thomasandhisshuntingtrucks Sun 05-Mar-17 09:33:26

I have been a SAHM for 4 LOONNNG years. I'm so so excited to start work but first I have to get a job! Hopefully I'm going to have some interviews coming up but I'm worried about how I will appear.

Firstly I appear much younger than I am which is good to some but when I'm applying for well paid jobs I think they see me as too young or immature or not worthy of certain pay grades. So how do I look more mature? More professional I guess. Like a grown up. Not like a snot covered mum of 2.

I'm thinking about what on earth to do with my hair, make up, nails, shoes, outfit!

To describe myself: I have a bit longer than shoulder length blonde (highlighted) hair. It's wavy and can be straightened easily and I'm thinking about how to get it cut??

Fair skin. I'm a size 14 pear shape. Body not in too bad condition after 2 kids. 5 foot 3.

I basically look like Drew Barrymore in wedding singer and need to appear like meryl Streep in Devil wears prada. Help.
Oh and I'm 35.

Gwenhwyfar Sun 05-Mar-17 10:57:37

Long hair suggests youth so cut it or put in a bun or something. A dress suit is quite middle aged if that's the look you're going for. I always think the clothes in Hobbes are a bit 'old' or Phase Eight for the mother of the bride look.

SimplyNigella Sun 05-Mar-17 11:18:58

What industry do you work in? That does make a difference on what to wear IMO.

Thomasandhisshuntingtrucks Sun 05-Mar-17 12:55:10

Simply nigella it'll be in the education sector but a high up admin role.

SimplyNigella Sun 05-Mar-17 17:29:37

I would always dress slightly smarter for an interview than I would for the role itself and if you want to project gravitas then I'd suggest a well fitting blazer as a minimum, possibly a tailored suit.

bagelbaby Sun 05-Mar-17 20:33:19

Just don't do 80's power dressing type workwear - it's all much more relaxed now. But keep it simple if you want maturity.
Simple earrings. No more than two other bits of jewellery. Nails smart but not highly coloured.
There was a good article, from a blogger I think , on the John Lewis website about workwear. And of course I can't find it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now