Talk

Advanced search

Fat, over 40 on a weekend in Paris

(24 Posts)
ZestyDragon Sat 04-Mar-17 23:15:40

Ok so I KNOW I am thinking too far in advance but bear with me!

Friends and I are having a girls weekend in Paris. They are all on average size 10. I have lost over two stone lately and hope to lose another 2 by then which would take me to size 16/18.

What do I wear? It will be mid September, do I need a jacket? What kind? Would you wear jeans or trousers for sightseeing or long skirt/dress? Shoes? And what do I wear at night?

I am 5'7, chunky legs so don't like them on show and not keen on very high heels for night time.

Many thanks VERY far in advance but you know, a worrier about being lumpy and badly dressed blush

bingohandjob Sun 05-Mar-17 05:35:37

I've recently just had a weekend there - was nowhere near as chilly as I thought so thinking it'll probably be rather lovely in Autumn. I got myself in a bit of a pickle worrying about what to take as PARIS but was much more laidback and easy going. I took hand luggage only, palette of grey, white and black mix and match and most important was comfortable shoes...Stayed in Montmartre walked the city, went to loads of lovely bars and bistros. Don't bother with heels! Cobbled streets, lots of walking. I had silver Superga and black biker boots, midi black jumper dress and midi black t shirt dress (ASOS Curve), big grey wrap (every French woman wore a big wrapped around looking effortlessly cool scarf on), Boden black ruched skirt and a grey and white Uniqlo supima t-shirt, one smarter silver knit Boden top for dressier evening to jazz club but hardly anyone there was "smartened" up but I felt good. Black tights, but in warmer weather, if I was doing that much walking, I'd happily wear simple black t shirt dress ruth with black leggings and superga or converse and feel happy in Paris - much more chilled and easy going than I thought, fashion wise unless I guess you are planning on going very posh! Wear what it comfortable, you'll be sitting outside lots - we did every evening, and walking lots. I'm going again in Autumn, will take similar but without winter coat, I'd take Uniqlo down jacket in case chilly. Cross-body bag with zip, just cos so touristy in some parts and as I would on London tube, too keep everything safe and to hand. I loved the Parisian messy bed hair and it made me happier about not having my Babyliss big hair.

I went for comfy, simple monochrome mix and match items, simple chunky silver jewellery, bold lipstick, shoes you can walk for miles in. You'll have a ball.

Chocolateteabag Sun 05-Mar-17 09:04:15

Totally agree with bingo - and def trousers for walking about - slim slightly ankle showing with trainers/shoes you know you can walk unless you can ask for blister plasters in French
I was quite surprised last time I went how little people dressed up to go out last time I was there though

bingohandjob Sun 05-Mar-17 09:37:49

Take a look at Asos curve, Monki and Uniqlo for simple items of you have the £ for a few new bits. The supima t shirts are ace basics in good colours, great quality stretchy feel cotton, and the "extra" sizes will easily fit you at size 18 (they are Japanese company so their large is pretty much similar to a 14 I'd say).

ZestyDragon Sun 05-Mar-17 11:08:25

Thank you very much for the responses!

bingohandjob thank you, I hadn't thought of biker boots but they would really work for me. Also I really like the look of the superga so I must get a pair. Mix and match is a good idea too and a light jacket? I always feel like I get things slightly wrong so I need to think about jackets. I would be happy with jeans and maxi dresses and a smart top for night time.

chocolate when you say trousers do you mean jeans or trousers? If so what kind? And a yes to comfy shoes.

I will have a look on Asos, Monki and Uniqlo. T shirts would be good as I expect it won't be too cold at that stage.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sun 05-Mar-17 12:19:24

Nothing to add other than to agree that comfortable trainers are the most important thing, and to say that I'd take pretty much the same as Bingo. Not Converse though - too flat and will kill your feet after a few hours of pavement pounding (believe me - have done it before, although not in Paris).

No idea on temperature of Paris in Sept. Would a biker jacket work, maybe, or something like this?

ZestyDragon Sun 05-Mar-17 14:35:06

Remus That's the sort of jacket I was thinking of. Its not too heavy if I want to carry it and looks smart and practical.

Chocolateteabag Mon 06-Mar-17 23:08:40

I mean trousers - not jeans (but you could wear jeans I suppose) but like Boden style slim leg trousers - with a bit of stretch - like their Richmond ones?
Then you can get maybe some comfortable driving type shoe or smart leather trainer for walking in the day and swap to heels for the evenings? Depends how much you will be able to pack I guess too

Chocolateteabag Mon 06-Mar-17 23:12:01

Cotton plus elastane for stretch - and if it's warm (which it could be) avoid risk of thigh chafe which you could get with a skirt (I have been there ugh!)

user1471545174 Mon 06-Mar-17 23:26:05

It might still be pretty warm in September so think general urban comfort and style rather than specifically about wraps, coats and tights.

Comfortable feet are vital.

Iamastonished Mon 06-Mar-17 23:34:05

"I was quite surprised last time I went how little people dressed up to go out last time I was there though"

People don't seem to dress up anywhere these days unless it is a Friday night in Barnsley

I think in cities that have a lot of visitors - Paris, Rome, Prague, Venice etc people go for short breaks with hand luggage only and tend to wear practical and comfortable clothes, and leave the ballgowns and stillettos at home.

margaritasbythesea Tue 07-Mar-17 13:31:20

They do in Spain! It's loads of fun smile

PovertyJetset Tue 07-Mar-17 13:39:15

We went to Paris in spring so maybe similar temps- glorious and warm in the sun with a slight chill and definitely cooler in the eve.

I wore
Nike Pegasus
Skinny jeans with ankle showing
Vest top or tube skirt
Another top on top- either a 3/4 length sleeve or maybe a hoodie
Black biker jacket- this I could tie round my waiste when needed
Light knit/weight HUGE scarf- doubled as a picnic blanket.
Black nylon rucksack.

I had one dressy top, another pair of dressy trousers, and some nice wedge shoes. A tube skirt and some underwear.
Everything matched, everything could be rolled into a small sausage and packed easily.

Laquila Tue 07-Mar-17 14:21:38

Trousers-wise, try Gap Bi-stretch ankle pants - I have them in black and they're great for work as well as for casual, with trainers or flat pointy shoes. Very comfy, with just enough stretch. I find them on the small side - I'm a 12 and needed a 14.

Laquila Tue 07-Mar-17 21:26:14

Also, I'm a big fan of dressy/sparkly/brocade/jacquard trousers worn with Converse or similar for going out - looks like you've paid lip service to the fact that it's the evening, but haven't actually tried too hard!

I think if I was doing similar (I should be so lucky) I'd take something like:

Dark grey leather biker
Leopard-print fine-knit jumper
Black long-sleeve scoop neck
Denim shirt
Jacquard slim going-out trousers
Mid-blue skinny jeans
Grey tube skirt

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Wed 08-Mar-17 18:33:03

I like to take a black top with a lace trim and a blingy bangle, to dress up jeans and Converse a bit - or sparkly Converse!

Tube skirts are brilliant and roll up to nothing in a bag.

ZestyDragon Wed 08-Mar-17 21:04:39

Thank you all so much for your help and advice! I love idea of tube skirts and have a couple and really need to look at jeans/trousers. I carry a lot of my weight on my thighs and calves so I can't wear skinny jeans but hopefully by then I will be happy wearing looser fitting jeans.

Trainers are fine,
Tube skirts are fine
I need to look at/for:
Jacket
Jeans
Longish tops/t-shirts
Something nice for evening.

PovertyJetset Wed 08-Mar-17 21:07:49

I don't think you'd feel out of place on a night out with a plain top, jeans as long as you had immaculate makeup and maybe a bold matte lipstick colour and a cool bangle or necklace?

fluffypigs Wed 08-Mar-17 21:46:57

As a PP said, don't dress up too much or you'll look like you're trying too hard. A nice top, black jeans or trousers, ankle boots and a trench coat is my uniform in Paris - and I go there quite often. Nothing too colourful, but maybe a nice patterned scarf. As long as you're comfortable and confident you'll be fine!

Goodmum1234 Wed 08-Mar-17 23:37:03

I'm similar size to you and was invited to the Ritz for afternoon tea a few weeks ago. I wore a beautifully flattering navy jumpsuit from phase eight. Their stuff is amazing. I have big legs, stomach and boobs but it flattered me and I felt great.

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/jumpsuits/adelaide-jumpsuit/204154351

Something like this? X

ZestyDragon Thu 09-Mar-17 21:26:02

Poverty I actually have some great jewellery that I never wear so I should dig it out.

fluffy I live in dark colours so that style would suit me!

Goodmum I like that jumpsuit a lot but did you cover your arms? I would have to.

DrScholl Thu 09-Mar-17 21:54:27

evreyone in paris is a tourist and looks pretty average ime

Goodmum1234 Thu 09-Mar-17 23:40:12

Yes I bought one from Debenhams debut for about 30. It was Lacey. I've just bought another jumpsuit in the monsoon online sale tonight. I hope it will be as gorgeous x

Goodmum1234 Thu 09-Mar-17 23:41:21

John Lewis is also selling phase eight clothing at a discount st the moment x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now