Talk

Advanced search

Steri-strips off, dealing with a scar. Tips please?

(7 Posts)
bakedbeansandtuna Sat 04-Mar-17 20:51:57

Hi everyone,

I had a surgical excision two weeks ago, and now the steri strips etc have came off, leaving me with what you would expect, a biggish red scar. Sadly it has stretched slightly due to the process occurring on a moving joint.

I have bought some silicone gel but was wondering if anyone thought if the strips are better than the gels? Has anyone tried both?

Also, the surgeon said to moisturise, then put on the gel, but manufacturers instructions are to apply on clean dry skin so I'm opting for the latter. I wonder if anyone has any other scar healing tips they could share please? At the moment I'm in that itchy phase... although sometimes it is more annoying than others.

Thank you.

B

NameChangedddd Sat 04-Mar-17 21:34:35

Silicon sheets I think are better than gel. It's some time since I looked at this but have a google - I'm pretty sure that studies show the silicon sheets have better results - I think it because you have constant contact.

If I remember rightly - stay out of the sun for at least six months.

A lot later down the line - easily 6 months+ - derma roller treatment may help but the scar needs to have completely settled and healed and not be any kind of keloid scar.

CMOTDibbler Sat 04-Mar-17 21:38:57

Strips under light pressure like a tubigrip are best, but don't tend to stay on over a joint, so gel like kelocote is next best. Def keep it out of the sun and gently massage it in small circles using a bland cream (then wash off and apply gel)

bakedbeansandtuna Sat 04-Mar-17 21:54:11

Thank you very much.

I'll buy some strips too - I can see what I get on best with 😊

I've seen a scar massage device on Amazon - I'll try that too.

Thank you

AgathaMystery Sat 04-Mar-17 22:28:35

I've had some fairly awful abdominal survives over the past 18 years and I swear by Body shop olive body butter. God knows what's in it but honestly I can tell you which scars I used it on and which I didn't. It's amazing.

bakedbeansandtuna Sun 05-Mar-17 14:27:23

OK Agatha, I'll try that. I guess I can use it in place of another body moisturiser.

Madbengalmum Sun 05-Mar-17 14:29:30

I have used bio etc, but the best is cica care gel that you can place on the scar and cut to size. Stips itching and is comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now