Talk

Advanced search

MAC vs NARS

(19 Posts)
bumblebeewine Sat 04-Mar-17 15:11:13

Hello lovely MNers smile

Time to invest in some makeup again (as I'm running low) and I want to try either some MAC or NARS products! I wanted to see what everyone thought of the brands, which ones they prefer and if either brand is better at one product than the other e.g. I've heard that MAC lipstick is meant to be great, so maybe NARS has a product that everyone raves about? Which brand / products do you prefer?smile

InfinityPlusOne Sat 04-Mar-17 15:15:50

I like the lipsticks from both although MAC has the better/bigger collection. My work go to lipsticks seem to be all MAC or NARS. Could you get a free makeover at each counter and see what you like best?

A lot of people rave about NARS orgasm blusher but I don't think it's as universally flattering as made out and does depend on skin tone.

I like the consistency of NARS lip glosses more than MAC but I prefer MAC eyeshadows.

InfinityPlusOne Sat 04-Mar-17 15:17:49

MAC has a number of different finishes on its lipsticks (lustre, frost, amplified, matte etc) so again it depends on what you prefer texture wise. I like the lustres but they don't last as long as other finishes. They are nice and light and have a nice sheen though.

InfinityPlusOne Sat 04-Mar-17 15:20:16

Here is a good breakdown of the different finishes of MAC lipsticks and I'm sure there have been threads here where posters listed their favourites. You can google the names to see the colours and narrow down what you might like.

MAC is less expensive than NARS as well so that's worth bearing in mind.

InfinityPlusOne Sat 04-Mar-17 15:20:28

Forgot the link www.skinitrini.com/new-blog/2015/1/16/a-guide-to-mac-lipsticks

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 04-Mar-17 15:30:16

Nars, much better to wear, easier to choose, better service.

No question for me.
It's more expensive, but I don't buy a lot of things.

thedevilinablackdress Sat 04-Mar-17 16:00:08

Depends what products you're after and budget. MAC genrally has a wider range of colours and is cheaper but NARS is more luxurious IMO and usually better, less rushed service if you're buying in-store.

ElspethFlashman Sat 04-Mar-17 16:13:36

In my experience NARS foundation veers towards the yellow toned - you have to be careful if you're not.

I find NARS blushers can be insanely pigmented as in difficult to apply without looking mad - I've had to give up on a few because of that. The exception is Orgasm which is the other extreme - won't show up unless you're pale.

All MAC foundation comes in different undertones - pink, yellow and neutral. You'll definitely find a match. I prefer MAC eyeshadow as the shade range is vast.

NARS creamy concealer is good for under the eyes whereas MAC Studio Fix concealer is good for spots.

The big advantage to NARS is that you can get it on ASOS and return it for free.

Cultofpersonality Sat 04-Mar-17 16:21:55

Love love love the MAC eyeshadows. I have them in the pan and build my own palettes- they're cheaper than buying them in the pots.
Only have one NARS lipstick and find it a bit crap really- not worth the £24 I paid for it.
If you're going to be spending that much, I would recommend the Chanel lippies instead!

Really like the Fix plus setting spray from mac too smile

EggsEleven Sat 04-Mar-17 16:26:15

Orgasm is far too glittery for me. I prefer MAC blushers and MAC lipsticks. I prefer Nars eyeshadow. I don't like either for foundation, mascara or eyeliner. I love MAC Strobe primer if wearing it under foundation. Too much on its own without foundation though.

bionicant Sat 04-Mar-17 16:57:08

really like nars, esp the eyeshadows, blush (deep throat) and tinted moisturiser oh and concealer.

use Mac lipsticks.

PollyPerky Sat 04-Mar-17 17:45:47

I found Nars foundations hard to match to my skin. Siberia is too pale and Gobi too yellow. I found Orgasm blusher too bright and fat too much glitter, and same for Deep Throat (there's a theme here grin There are other newer colours so maybe worth a go.

I didn't find the assts very helpful in JL - they didn't give samples of the foundation and this is the only high end brand where they don't IME.

I've never bought Mac because I find the choice overwhelming and the assts don't seem that interested in more mature women; there are always young 'uns buying.

I prefer Bobbi Brown and Dior.

EggsEleven Sat 04-Mar-17 17:54:35

Although MAC blusher is better than Nars imo Bobbi Brown is my favourite for blusher. Good pigment without looking like a clown. I have to be very light handed when using MAC blusher or it can look too OTT on me.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sat 04-Mar-17 23:45:12

I have dry/ dehydrated skin and have spent fucking YEARS trialling this shit, so if your skin is anything like mine then:
Nars sheer Glow foundation
Nars concealer
MAC powder
Nars blushers
Nars bronzer
MAC powder eyeshadows
MAC mascara ( but don't use either brand as both are shit)
Either for lipstick as you reapply a lot anyway so who cares.
Nars lipglosses
MAC brushes

All in all neither are best at any of the categories really - MAC def have more choice in lipsticks but these days I rarely use either for anything.

From NARS I love Sheer Glow foundation and their radiant creamy concealer; I'm very very pale, pink toned and they're great for me. I also like their blusher in desire.

MAC lipsticks and pencils have a great range and I also like their blushers

To throw in a different option, Urban Decay have an amazing range of lipsticks too, and their eyeshadows are absolutely fantastic so if you are in to eye makeup I would consider one of their palettes. I haven't tried NARS eyeshadows but, for all they have a good shade choice, I'm not impressed with MAC eyeshadows; poor pigment and they don't go on nearly as well as UD.

violetbunny Sun 05-Mar-17 08:22:34

MAC for face products (foundation, concealer, powder etc). I especially like their Pro Longwear products.

NARS for blushes, multiples, Audacious lipsticks, eye shadows.

Gertiegoolash Sun 05-Mar-17 10:06:43

I love both brands lipsticks especially Mac's matte ones and the Nars audacious lipsticks. Don't really rate anything else. You can get just as good/much better makeup for cheaper IMO.

WicksEnd Sun 05-Mar-17 10:56:34

If I'm paying £24 for a lipstick I want nicer packaging than NARS. I'd rather have Dior or Estée Lauder magnetic closure ones.
I know it's the product that counts but I just feel ripped off with nars.
Love their tinted body oil for summer though.
MAC is good for eye shadows, especially the creamy ones.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 05-Mar-17 11:03:22

I love Nars packaging.

Much prefer it to Estee Lauder's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now