Talk

Advanced search

Rosacea advice

(12 Posts)
SpanielFace Sat 04-Mar-17 14:14:56

I have had rosacea for around 3 years now. It started at the same time I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, not sure if that's related. The only thing that seems to cure it is pregnancy, which is not a permanent solution!

My GP prescribed Rosex gel, but I'm not convinced it makes much difference. I had Liz Earle cleanser recommended to me, but it makes it much worse. hmm It comes and goes, and I'm sure there's a hormonal link with my periods, but it mostly manifests itself as redness, pimples and white heads on my nose and cheeks. My skin is not especially dry, I cleanse and use a light moisturiser each day. I tend to keep changing brands as I don't really know how to manage it.

Has anyone found anything that has really helped them?

allegretto Sat 04-Mar-17 14:18:55

Probably a long shot but worth a try - tragically my rosacea only clears up completely if I don't drink wine - could this be the reason you didn't get it in pregnancy?

margaritasbythesea Sat 04-Mar-17 14:58:26

I have recently been diagnosed with rosacea. I went back to my dermatologist after being prescribed roses as it was hopeless. I think it's a first thing to try. I now have soolantra which is also called ivermectin I think. I haven't had a breakout since. I also use a very high factor SPF religiously. I still have the redness but it is much more under control.

margaritasbythesea Sat 04-Mar-17 15:00:33

Giving up a foaming cleanser I also think made a huge difference. I now use cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser which doesn't make it react.

DrSeuss Sat 04-Mar-17 15:02:00

Oral tetracycline (no good if pregnant) or erthyromicin lotion on prescription work well.

tinyterrors Sat 04-Mar-17 15:04:31

I found switching to a mild cleaner helped mine. I use neurogenic grapefruit wash and moisturiser, clearing hydraquench when I can afford it (not often).

I found rosex really good as long as I used it twice a day after washing my face. It did take about three months to start seeing a decent improvement though.

As pp have said, there are different creams etc to try. It can take a while and can be very trial and error though.

Jmangel Sat 04-Mar-17 15:11:55

Soolantra has changed my life after trying EVERYTHING else. Do not walk, run to your GP.

MojoMoon Sat 04-Mar-17 15:14:01

Antibiotics were trying only things that helped. Nothing topical made a difference.

Erythromycin is often used, I ended up taking azithromycin instead which is normally used for chest infections but some doctors are trying it out on rosacea and it worked well and quickly for me.

The dermatologist said there is no good evidence to say wine or spicy food or caffeine make it worse but the one thing she would suggest avoiding is saunas and really hot weather! And always always wear sun protection.

Nearlyadoctor Sat 04-Mar-17 15:43:38

Soolantra - definitely!

BWatchWatcher Sat 04-Mar-17 16:27:19

Soolantra. Fab

Figgygal Sat 04-Mar-17 16:36:47

Hi
I've had rosacea now for about 2 years when finally went to dr because we were TTC I couldn't take antibiotics for it and I kind of left it as some days it was much better than others. I just use simple moisturiser on my face no other products And only wear make-up on nights out some days I barely even wash my face.

Ds is four months old and I'm keen to try and get it under control again Somedays it's barely noticeable other day its all over my cheeks and chin around up to my ears across my forehead and looks like acne. I've been prescribed metronidazole cream not sure if it's making any difference.

Have been really interested to read what those above have commented I need to do some research into this. im 36 and always had good skin until this sad

Gallavich Sat 04-Mar-17 16:40:12

I thought I had rosacea, the gp said acne and prescribed me a nasty cream that made it much worse. I bought a pur organica face serum which has helped loads. Advice on this page was that serum is the important thing with skin care, not cleanser or moisturiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now