Talk

Advanced search

My nails are in tatters! Help

(10 Posts)
autumnglow Sat 04-Mar-17 13:50:58

Look at the state of my nails!

autumnglow Sat 04-Mar-17 13:52:59

Oops posted too soon. It can take 3-6 months to grow out where my nails have split. I dont use gels or anything. It's a nightmare. I'm trying to keep them painted and short as they look so awful. Any tips on food, nutrition, products I can do to help them.

RamsayBoltonsConscience Sat 04-Mar-17 21:53:02

I can't wear any polish of my nails as they go exactly the same as yours. The only thing I can do is keep them clipped really short until the flaky parts grow out. It happens no matter how I do my nails so I'm just resigned to having plain nails. Am using Soap & Glory hand food which seems to be helping a bit.

KitKats28 Sat 04-Mar-17 22:10:13

I swear by OPI Nail Envy. You put two coats on, then put a new coat over the others, every day for a week. Then you take it off and start again.

My nails were wrecked from a combination of acrylics and psoriasis, and after 6 months of Nail Envy they are long and strong.

TheHiphopopotamus Sat 04-Mar-17 22:19:39

My nails are shit. They flake and break off but over the summer I had a bit of eczema or a rash of some sort on my hand so I moisturised them really well 4 or 5 times a day.

Lo and behold, my nails grew within a couple of weeks and they were strong too. It was only an Avon moisturiser too, the olive oil one for a couple of quid. Highly recommend giving it a go.

Lululooselips Sat 04-Mar-17 22:31:33

CND solar oil applied to cuticle and rubbed into nail, as many times a day as you remember to do it. Works wonders smile

TheDisreputableDog Sat 04-Mar-17 22:35:13

Nailitiques Formula 2 is your solution. Really helps resolve the splitting and makes your nails really strong.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 05-Mar-17 07:50:07

Find a local salon doing IBX treatments, it's like a strengthener but uses an uv lamp to seal it in the nail plate. It can't be washed off.

Failing that use CND Rescue Rx, you can buy it in salons.

If you've got thin nails diet etc won't make a huge difference. All you can do is eat healthily, take a skin hair nail vitamin & apply a strengthener.

Gingerbreadmam Sun 05-Mar-17 07:56:02

my nails have never been better since taking 5mg folic acid daily.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 05-Mar-17 08:58:49

The thing that makes all the difference for me is wearing rubber gloves to do any washing up or cleaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now