Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Dress for DD, 14 to wear to wedding

(17 Posts)
temporarilyjerry Sat 04-Mar-17 07:53:30

My 14 year old DD is not into fashion. She is quite small for her age and very skinny. She rarely wears a dress, preferring leggings, a t-shirt and sloppy cardigan. We are going to a wedding in July and have been looking for a dress for her to wear. Anything I like, she doesn't, of course. The only one we can agree on so far is this.
www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/DOLLII-Floral-embroidered-mesh-skater-dress-Deep-Purple/p/132260-DP-PURPLE?cmpid=google_PLA_Brand_UK_183574172_4426418_5054786902268&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEiQANdPqUikJv5sXfUs2ZMvMFLUQ5wByW5coDxBrA-NmR7Cpx7IaAg9P8P8HAQ
Although it is lovely, it is quite expensive for a dress that she is unlikely to wear more than a couple of times. I would be grateful for any more suggestions.

ChocolateSherberts2017 Sat 04-Mar-17 07:58:21

Have a look at the New Look occasion brands like apricot, you'll be able to buy something similar for less.

m.newlook.com/shop/womens/occasion/dresses/_/N-ieuZqm1?intcam=ww_occassion_dresses

Crumbs1 Sat 04-Mar-17 07:58:42

It's nice and she'll be having more grown up parties soon so might get more use than you think. If not, does it have to be a dress? Leggings and pretty tunic?

nomad27 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:02:55

What about a jumpsuit?

Something like these?

http://m.asos.com/asos/asos-premium-jumpsuit-with-embroidered-panels/prd/6987190?iid=6987190&clr=White&SearchQuery=Jumpsuit&pgesize=50&pge=0&totalstyles=2182&gridsize=2&gridrow=17&gridcolumn=1

http://m.asos.com/asos/asos-jumpsuit-with-wrap-and-self-tie-detail-in-floral-print/prd/7533041?iid=7533041&clr=Roseprint&SearchQuery=Wedding%20jumpsuit&pgesize=39&pge=0&totalstyles=39&gridsize=2&gridrow=6&gridcolumn=2

http://m.asos.com/asos/asos-cami-wrap-jumpsuit-with-peg-leg/prd/7228975?iid=7228975&clr=Nude&SearchQuery=Wedding%20jumpsuit&pgesize=39&pge=0&totalstyles=39&gridsize=2&gridrow=18&gridcolumn=1

They are a bit less girlie than a dress? ASOS or Missguided might be easier to shop if she's self conscious - leave her to pick out anything she likes, vet its suitability for a wedding then order online/try at home?

SookiesSocks Sat 04-Mar-17 08:03:28

blue

pink

stripes

floral

FauxFox Sat 04-Mar-17 08:06:56

Www.quizclothing.co.uk is great for cheap and nice occasion-wear - they stock it in Debenhams if you want to see in person. Alternatively get the Ted Baker and sell it on eBay after to recover some of the money?

NapQueen Sat 04-Mar-17 08:07:38

River Island had loads of dresses in under 60 quid - lots perfect for a teen and wedding suitable.

But I agree with someone upthread - it doesnt need to be a dress. Leggings and a pretty tunic or a jumpsuit would both be entirely suitable for a teen to wear to a wedding.

NapQueen Sat 04-Mar-17 08:09:48

this topshop one is nice

jamont0ast Sat 04-Mar-17 08:11:18

I love dresses by Apricot, they have concessions in New Look and Debenhams.
Around £20-£40 for a dress depending on the material.
They usually have lots of skater dresses.

Sukitakeitoff Sat 04-Mar-17 08:11:49

Have a look at www.boohoo.com and maybe filter on skater dresses

SIL wears lots of dresses from there and they're surprisingly nice given the low prices.

How tall is she? You said she's small for her age so might a teen range be better fitwise than adult sizes?

HorraceTheOtter Sat 04-Mar-17 08:12:51

Ted baker comes up quite large I find, it may not fit very well if she's on the small side. Second the apricot clothes in new look.

GoulashSoup Sat 04-Mar-17 08:26:50

I second the newlook idea what about these:

grey lace skater

black skater

pale pink ribbed

pretty floral not old ladyish but would need a little cardi/jacket

bright pink lace skater

They are all £50 or less, there loads more if other styles suit.

m.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/evening-party-dresses/_/N-9utZbyl?intcam=dresses_type_evening&No=0&Nrpp=250

Sukitakeitoff Sat 04-Mar-17 08:32:23

Alternatively I do think it's ok to follow her own style more - perhaps leggings and tunic (and even a sloppy cardigan, in a pretty colour) as a previous poster suggested.

midcenturymodern Sat 04-Mar-17 08:45:00

similar shape to OP in petite asos £55

temporarilyjerry Sat 04-Mar-17 09:36:50

Thank you so much for all these great ideas. You are wonderful. flowers flowers

Semaphorically Sat 04-Mar-17 09:41:00

I agree that if she doesn't like dresses let her wear something that's not a dress. Cropped slim fit trousers, or a jumpsuit, or a play suit?

temporarilyjerry Sun 05-Mar-17 09:33:44

Thank you so much. I had no idea New Look did an occasions range, Chocolate and Goulash. This is her favourite shop so I'm sure she'll find something she likes here.
She does love jumpsuits, namad and Semaphor and would like one but not for the wedding. grin
We had looked in Quiz, fauxfox but online they have more skater dresses. If I was 35 years younger, I would be buying one of those for myself.
That's a nice dress, Nap but she's fussy about colour as well as style, so wouldn't wear that.
Thanks for all your suggestions, Sookie and to everyone else for their help. There are so many suggestions, I am sure that we will find something here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: