Talk

Advanced search

Cheaper alternative to MAC Cleanse Off Oil?

(20 Posts)
lemonylemons Fri 03-Mar-17 19:33:04

I have tried a couple of cheaper cleansing oils but keep going back to the MAC oil because nothing else seems to remove a full face of make-up quite as thoroughly. I also like that it emulsifies really well, leaves no sticky / greasy residue and doesn't irritate my quite sensitive skin.

Can anyone recommend a good cheaper alternative?

Wasn't keen on the TBS camomile oil or the L'Oreal one. Currently looking at the Brennan oil, DHC and Softymo.

TIA!

SimplyNigella Fri 03-Mar-17 20:46:16

Have you tried Superdrug Micellar Oil? I've switched from Eve Lom as I love it so much and it's almost always on offer.

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 03-Mar-17 21:11:38

The Una Brennan oil emulsifies really well and smells like oranges. It does leave my skin a bit squeaky so I don't use it all the time but it's got good slip, although I don't use it on my eyes - I use micellar waster for that.

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 03-Mar-17 21:12:36

Micellar waster! Water, obvs.

Iamdazedandconfused Fri 03-Mar-17 21:16:40

The body shop camomile cleansing oil is lovely.

lemonylemons Fri 03-Mar-17 22:45:37

Simply, the Superdrug oil sounds great and what a bargain - added to shopping list!

Lady, I will definitely try the Una Brennan oil then, if it has a citrusy smell and emulsifies well it is right up my street.

lamda, I really wanted to like Body Shop oil but wasn't keen on the sticky residue it left on my skin. Glad it works for other people though!

Many thanks everyone!

MissFoodie Fri 03-Mar-17 23:10:12

I tried micellar water to remove Benefit They're Real mascara.... what a disaster.. and it wasn't even waterproof!

The superdrug micellar oil is not for use around the eyes apparently....?!

Any other suggestions pls?

SimplyNigella Sat 04-Mar-17 07:49:07

I use the oil around my eyes, I didn't realise I wasn't supposed to! It removes waterproof mascara really well. I'm always reluctant to recommend skincare as everyone is so different, but this is so cheap I make an exception.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sat 04-Mar-17 21:30:53

The L'Oreal Extraordinary Oi one is v nice - takes off Benefit Rollerlash easily.

FelixFelix Sat 04-Mar-17 21:32:37

I found the BS chamomile oil to be rubbish but the cleansing balm from the same range is my favourite product ever!

Shop Sun 05-Mar-17 10:36:42

Dhc is very good, emulsifies really well

MissFoodie Mon 06-Mar-17 01:18:27

Simple cleansing oil is not bad at all and currently 1/3 off in superdrug

Blondie1984 Mon 06-Mar-17 01:57:51

Does it have to be an oil? Ponds Cold Cream is good - as is the Superdrug Hot Cloth cleanser - both work on heavy duty makeup

YellowRoss Mon 06-Mar-17 06:13:01

I use the Waitrose baby bottom butter! It's just solid oil, smells lovely and it's very cheap. Was a tip on here.

Iamastonished Mon 06-Mar-17 06:43:53

I agree with Felix. The Bodyshop Camomile cleansing butter is brilliant and doesn't leave a sticky residue on your skin.

titsbumfannythelot Mon 06-Mar-17 07:52:31

Another vote for tbs camomile balm here.

Floisme Mon 06-Mar-17 07:57:40

I like almond oil from the grocery shelf.

lemonylemons Mon 06-Mar-17 08:14:37

Lots of great tips, thank you!

For now I have ordered DHC and the Una Brennan cleansing oil. I'm not in the UK so will have to wait a few weeks until I can get my hands on the Superdrug Micellar Oil and Hot Cloth Cleanser.

I have seen lots of people raving about the TBS cleansing butter but was a bit put off after the disappointing oil. Now I'm very tempted to nip out during lunch and buy it!

The L'Oreal oil was okay but couldn't quite cope with my (actually not very heavy at all!) eye make-up.

Iamastonished Mon 06-Mar-17 08:22:17

I haven't tried the oil so I can't give you a comparison, but I bought it after reading so many recommendations on MN, and it is brilliant. It melts onto your skin when you apply it and lifts everything off. I love it.

ktjb39 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:39:15

The no 7 Beautiful Skin cleansing oil is absolutely brilliant at removing make up including eye make up. I've bought it again and again and use it as my first cleanse at night. Brilliant stuff and smells beautiful too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now