Talk

Advanced search

Easiest way to get waves into straight hair

(24 Posts)
Maugrim Fri 03-Mar-17 12:22:39

I'm thinking about getting some balayage and going for a mid length bob (lob). I have fine hair a fringe and it's a mousy colour. I love the wavy styles like the one in this picture. Does anyone have any cheat tips on how this can be done quickly and last most of the day?
Ideally something that I can sleep in and requires minimal styling as juggling work kids and the rest gives me hardly any styling time......

Lemond1fficult Fri 03-Mar-17 12:30:32

I recommend the Lee Stafford chopstick - it's a styling wand really, but really fast to use if all you want are waves, not curls.

I dry my hair fully, then grab large bunches of my hair (maybe 6-8 in all) and wrap them around the stick from top to bottom for a few seconds. Gives really natural looking waves.

The curls last for a couple of days, which is a good job, as it's quite hard on your hair. I always use a proper blow dry cream to protect.

Maugrim Fri 03-Mar-17 12:37:55

Thank you, never heard of that so great tip 😃

carrie74 Fri 03-Mar-17 17:40:38

On some days when I don't wash my hair, I get waves using my straighteners, using a heat protector spray and a blast of hairspray. Love hit looks, but not great for my fine hair! Only lasts the day though (starting off curly, and dropping to wavy by the time I get to work).

Maugrim Fri 03-Mar-17 17:48:27

Thanks, I also wondered whether sleeping in loose plaits might work?

OohNoDooEy Fri 03-Mar-17 18:00:21

I think that plaits only work in really thick hair when you can do a loose plait. I also do curls with straighteners. I get a second day.

If I go to bed with wet hair with mousse in that I've finger combed, then it's wavy

mowglik Fri 03-Mar-17 20:29:20

Try a sock bun overnight - I get long loose curls but my hair is quite wavy anyway, not sure if it would work as well for mid length hair but give it a try - the waves/curls last all day and no heat damage or time spent styling in the morning!

KeepCalm Fri 03-Mar-17 20:30:48

Run straighteners over plaits

AndImAnElf Fri 03-Mar-17 20:31:43

GHD quickest and quite long lasting on my fine hair (some vestige of waves still left by the end of the day). Curling tongs the absolute best for staying power but take so much longer - can do GHD waves in 5 mins for a casual look but more like 25 for tongs. Styling spray (heat protection stuff) first, mousse scrunched through then Elnett gives the best hold.

PNGirl Fri 03-Mar-17 20:33:36

Cloud 9 waving wand! Lasts ages and does big chunky waves.

weasle Fri 03-Mar-17 20:39:30

Is your hair naturally wavy or straight?

I tie my hair up when wet then when released at the end of the day it's very wavy - but mine is naturally wavy.

I'm very excited about people actively wanting wavy hair not dead straight - my hair may yet be fashionable!

KeepCalm Fri 03-Mar-17 20:45:16

weasle me too. Currently trying to get 13yr old DD to embrace the waves......

Maugrim Fri 03-Mar-17 21:29:11

Mine is straight, straight, straight! I love waves, always have!

spankhurst Fri 03-Mar-17 21:33:12

Headband curls (see YouTube). Or you can do beachy waves with sponge rollers.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 03-Mar-17 21:36:06

if dd wants waves we do a zig zag centre parting form front to back and french pleat her hair while damp...one on each side.

do lots of little plaity pieces for lots of curly waves, or do chunkier bits for a looser look

ChocolateSherberts2017 Fri 03-Mar-17 21:42:13

Rub some Boots Curl cream through damp hair before styling into curls. I do this & then twist & pin up my hair & blow dry and leave to set until cold or overnight. Then I undo the pin curls, turn my head upside down to gently shake out the curls.

Maugrim Fri 03-Mar-17 21:51:46

Love these suggestions, thank you. For the ones where you sleep in rollers/pins, is that less damaging to your hair?

RevealTheHiddenBeach Fri 03-Mar-17 22:18:07

I can get that exact look with an overnight katniss-from-hunger-games braid in dry hair. In the morning I spray the plait with hairspray and then take it out and fuss it a bit. Normally straight hair!

lemonylemons Fri 03-Mar-17 22:55:08

GHD + the method from this video (much easier than the whole twisting straighteners thing):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubHbLqYrwrw

ChocolateSherberts2017 Sat 04-Mar-17 06:53:33

Yes it's less damaging to your hair to set it in rollers / pins overnight as you're using little or zero direct heat.

IJustLostTheGame Sat 04-Mar-17 11:38:56

I've got a toni and guy deep waver.
It's really good at 'beachy waves'. The less time you tong your hair for, the looser the wave and you can adjust the heat settings

Pollypickypocket Sat 04-Mar-17 12:39:33

Heat always damages - the overnight stuff is great - just make sure hair is only slightly damp as if it doesn't dry properly overnight the wave will fall out

hollieberrie Sat 04-Mar-17 13:05:35

My hair has a little bit of a wave if encouraged - i often put it in a twisty bun overnight, then scrunch with Bumble & Bumble texturise or Boots curl creme in the morning.
I also like this really lazy method, works well if youre happy with messy, slightly uneven waves - more of a just got up look, which is pretty much my default grin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkaf2DuoWJc

SisterMoonshine Sat 04-Mar-17 13:22:38

I'm liking DD's waves after she's slept in a couple of fishtails at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now