Talk

Advanced search

I only use foundation- now I need more! Primer or highlighter?

(22 Posts)
Missanneshirley Fri 03-Mar-17 12:18:09

I'm in a make up rut
Use no 7 foundation which I'm happy with for colour, cost and coverage.
But I'm 40 something, tired, busy and it shows on my face. No spots to cover but no glow either.
I don't spend long on make up so I'm wary of adding too much to my routine.
Which product would just give me a little bit more of a glow?!
Thanks!

HellYeh Fri 03-Mar-17 18:05:12

What type of foundation are you using? Dewy ones are good

flibflob Fri 03-Mar-17 18:19:39

I'd be tempted to say a liquid highlighter - you can add a little to your foundation for a glow, or use on the cheekbones on top of foundation. I really like this one also from No7

http://www.boots.com/no7-skin-illuminator-30ml-10203463

Benefit also do some in a few different shades (High Beam/Sunbeam).

Auspiciouspanda Fri 03-Mar-17 18:23:54

You need both

BusterGonad Fri 03-Mar-17 20:15:31

Get a primer from No7 and Soap & Glory Hocus Focus, mix a few drops of Hocus Focus into your foundation and then apply. A lovely glowing new you!

Missanneshirley Sat 04-Mar-17 14:49:07

Oh I was thinking you might say both confused my bank balance can't stand it, might be one a month!
I used benefit high beam about 20 years ago! Amazed to hear it's still going. I found primer I'd got in one of those m&s beauty boxes and used it today but I feel it makes my foundation a bit less dewy if anything.
Should it go all over?

BusterGonad Sat 04-Mar-17 14:51:19

Yes all over, I use my primer on my eyelids and under my eyes too. If you like high beam you can get cheaper dupes of it. Topshop do little jars of highlighter and I'm pretty sure Rimmel do little tubes of it too.

thedevilinablackdress Sat 04-Mar-17 15:56:29

I'm with you on the post-40 lack of glow. I'd make sure your foundation isn't to heavy - I mainly use tinted moisturiser now. And a blusher that perks you up. I've tried highlighters but find they highlight any fine lines, not the desired effect!

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 04-Mar-17 15:59:24

I use Estée Lauder illuminating primer, mix it in with my base about 50/50. It makes the coverage lighter but it adds a lovely sheen.

PhoenixRisingSlowly Sat 04-Mar-17 20:44:12

Primer is amazing, you can get the smashbox one from them with free delivery in a travel size to try it out and you can choose a few free samples when you order as well. Add the first time buyer discount code and it doesn't work out too pricey. I got their oil free primer and it's very light and makes my makeup look much better, and then I chose their regular primer as one of my free samples and there's quite a lot in the tube.
It might be worth switching your foundation to a more dewy one, maybe your current brand isn't as good a fit as it used to be?

Missanneshirley Sat 04-Mar-17 21:23:17

I use "essentially natural" but I see they do "lit and luminate " too which is maybe more what I'm needing now! I had an afternoon going round make up counters a few years ago and chose it over lots more expensive ones
Smashbox is a great suggestion thank you

Missanneshirley Sat 04-Mar-17 21:24:12

Oh and blusher - yes - I look dead without - I like benefit dandeliib

Missanneshirley Sat 04-Mar-17 21:24:29

Dandelion even!

Imfinehowareyou Sat 04-Mar-17 21:26:59

I have to say I was disappointed with smashbox primer - could just be my skin though. I found 2faced primer to be awesome but can't find it where I live anymore.

BusterGonad Sun 05-Mar-17 08:07:45

I'm using a No7 one I bought reduced, it's good, my next one is the clear Smashbox one, I've used it before and really like it, my skin is dry though so I don't need a oil absorbing one, I just use it to stop my foundation sinking into fine lines and so my make up lasts longer.

I've just started using L'Oréal bb cream and love it. It comes out of the tube white, which is initially worrying, but it adapts well to my skin colour and ends up with light Dewey coverage.

Dewy. I do not end up with library numbers all over my face grin

thethoughtfox Sun 05-Mar-17 08:25:33

Try the Becca highlighting primer is it amazing and you can see the glow through your foundation

peoplepleaser70 Sun 05-Mar-17 09:04:09

Join the fb group 'mrs gloss and the goss' it is great for make up tips... primers and highlighteds are often discussed.... and plenty of dupes suggested for a fraction of the price of high end products.

Missanneshirley Sun 05-Mar-17 23:16:17

Brilliant thank you!
I found when I tried the m&s primer that it made my foundation look uneven but that is maybe because I'd applied the primer unevenly !

MathsFiend Sun 05-Mar-17 23:22:53

What about something like this? Really easy to apply.
Rosie highlighter

I have been using this too, gives a good base for foundation
Laura mercies radiance primer

BagelGoesWalking Mon 06-Mar-17 00:55:52

"Dewy. I do not end up with library numbers all over my face" gringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now