Talk

Advanced search

Aveeno or Aqueous?

(53 Posts)
WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 12:15:18

Apologies if this is in the wrong section I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

I've had a horrible rash now for about 3/4 weeks and today finally got told that it its dermatitis. I have canesten with hydrocortisone. The doctor advised me to use this twice a day and to use aqueous as often as possible to keep the skin moisturised. He advised that the cream would make my skin feel like it would burn for about 10 minutes but would settle down.

I've just tried it out and sure enough it did burn but has settled down now but after reading online I see that aqueous cream is not recommended as a moisturiser for this condition. Some more googling showed that a lot of people highly recommend Aveeno cream so I called up the local chemist to see if they had any in stock before I went round and she also advised me that the best thing for it is aqueous.

So do I go along with what the doctor and pharmacist say? Does anyone have any experience of these products and can advise me on what is best to use?

AllllGooone Fri 03-Mar-17 12:18:32

I won't touch aqueous with a barge pole, my eczema can only tolerate aveeno.

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 12:20:10

Thank you, that seems to be the general opinion of the old posts I've read online. Anything else you could recommend such as products for the bath etc?

Wolpertinger Fri 03-Mar-17 12:20:19

Never ever aqueous. It's a poor moisturiser and contains SLS which makes some people's eczema worse.

ThermoScan Fri 03-Mar-17 12:23:26

Agree,aqueous should only be used as a soap substitute not as a moisturiser( medical opinion here). Something in it irritates the skin.Aveeno,or Hydromol or Doublebase all good for moisturising.Dermol 500 good for washing and moisturising ..prescription only.

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 12:24:52

I can't believe the medical professionals are recommending this stuff when it's so bad?? In fact the doctor who I saw today said he suffers himself and that's what he uses. I've read that aqueous should be used as a soap substitute rather than a moisturiser so should I try this? Or just fling it in the bin?

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 12:26:16

Cross post Thermo. Thank you I'm going to get myself some Aveeno when I go shopping tonight. Would you recommend the daily moisturiser?

OnceUponATimeInLondon Fri 03-Mar-17 12:28:34

Agree, aqueous is a no no for me too. Also surprised it's still being recommended!

I find Aveeno Cream, tube with green label, better than anything else I've tried.

Faz2015 Fri 03-Mar-17 12:28:34

Avenoo or weleda from the baby dance is very good... also Manuka honey range from dr organics( holland and Barrett) is excellent

ThermoScan Fri 03-Mar-17 12:28:50

worried Aveeno products are good,personally I really like Doublebase as a moisturiser. You could still use aqueous to wash with

Faz2015 Fri 03-Mar-17 12:29:30

Weleda baby range not dance ๐Ÿ˜‚

coxsorangepippin Fri 03-Mar-17 12:29:33

I use cetraben as a daily moisturiser - keeps the eczema down much better than aveeno for me, but everyone's experience is different.

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Mar-17 12:31:00

Doctor is an idiot. Aqueous is a soap substitute.
I wouldn't be happy with using a cream that made my skin burn for 10 minutes either. See a different GP?

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 12:32:26

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I'm so angry that I've put that bloody aqueous on my skin. I will use it to wash with and get some Aveeno and doublebase as these 2 seem to keep popping up. I will keep those other products in mind Faz if I don't see a difference. I just hope the steroid cream kicks in soon I'm really sorry struggling with this.

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 12:35:36

Wolfie doctor looked younger than me and I'm only 25 blushgrin. He's the 3rd person I've saw this week. I've saw a male nurse twice who first gave me menthol aqueous which made my legs feel link they were on fire, second time he decided it was PUPPS but the dermatologist didn't think so and she gave me the steroid cream. Today I went to the maternity unit to take out PUPPS and that's when I was told it was dermatitis. I've to see the dermatologist if the steroid hasn't worked by next week.

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 12:36:21

Sorry typos *like not link, *rule not take.

GeorgeTheHamster Fri 03-Mar-17 12:46:42

Aveeno is def the best.
Agree aqueous is soap substitute.
I wouldn't bother with Doublebase until you know how you get on with Aveeno tbh.

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 12:58:10

Thank you George. Definitely going to get some Aveeno when I go to the supermarket tonight. Most days I've been using E45 to moisturise the skin and am kicking myself now as that's probably made it worse. I wish I went and saw a doctor when the midwife advised me to in the beginning, I just thought it was maybe a heat rash or something and didn't want to waste the doctor's time. I could have had this cleared up by now.

chloesmumtoo Fri 03-Mar-17 13:02:34

Yes we too heard aqueous cream was no good.
My daughter used diprobase cream emollient most of her life for eczema since very small as a moisteriser but apparently you can wash with it too. It is quite heavy iykwim but stang her broken skin a lot less than any other creams and was really happy with it for many years. Helped a lot. The cheaper version she was switched too later was not so good called zerobase emollient cream and didn't say you could wash with it.
However now as a teen she loves aveeno daily moisteriser as less heavy and sinks right into the skin layers, seems to be the only one to solve her all over dry shredding skin problem at the moment. Can buy a wash and even shampoo in it. We asked for it to be prescribed at the doctors but was declined for my daughter as she has a peanut allergy. It apparently contains coconut derivatives and could be cross contaminated by other nut products (not peanut) so was not recommended. We had to ignore this issues after re trying diprobase which was not curing her skin shredding (maybe she was not applying it enough) and go back to using aveeno dispite the doctors advice. Dd is really self conscious of her skin flaking everywhere and aveeno is the only way we know to solve her current skin issue. She does not have to apply excessively which for a teen works well.

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 13:14:58

I can't imagine what it must be like for a child suffering from eczema it must be horrendous sad. Glad your daughter found something that works for her. I just can't believe how many people on here advise against aqueous and then it so widely recommended by doctors etc.

chloesmumtoo Fri 03-Mar-17 13:16:11

Double base made my dd very distressed when a baby. Must have really stang her legs, had to wash it off! Never dared try it again. Dermol 500 to wash with she used successfully for years but has antimicrobials so they stopped her using it in later years. Used it all through primary school. Yes the aveeno daily we use in a pump bottle, the thicker one in a box is not a pump bottle and a nightmare to squeeze out when you have creamy hands but was still good.

BusterGonad Fri 03-Mar-17 13:19:17

Aqueous, double base, E45 all shite. Aveeno is the bomb! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 13:21:25

Ouch sad. Dr thinks it's just my hormones and extra sweating that have caused the flare up so I've no experience of this before. Really can't imagine what it must be like having to live with this on a day to day basis I feel really bad for anyone who suffers. I'm lucky it's mainly on my legs and not my full body.

chloesmumtoo Fri 03-Mar-17 13:22:16

Hi worried, yes was terrible time when dd was young, even done the wet wrapping too. But her skins real good now older except for the flaking, very strange. Yes aqueous has always had a bad reputation. I remember having it once myself but cant remember if we ever put it on dd! Hope the Aveeno will help you, fingers crossed

WorriedAndCrazy Fri 03-Mar-17 13:22:31

Buster just what I want to hear grin. Thank ou everyone for the advice and recommendations I'm so excited now to try it out blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now