Talk

Advanced search

perfect blusher discontinued, can I use eyeshadow?

(22 Posts)
poppym12 Fri 03-Mar-17 12:10:55

Ages ago I found my perfect blusher. It was a cheap one from superdrug (MUA I think). The colour I used has been discontinued and ive been searching for similar to no avail. I've spent a stupid amount of money on ones that I thought looked near enough but they're just not right.
I've been putting some eyeshadow pans into a new palette and I have one that is the exact shade of blusher I've been searching for. Its sugarpill or morphe and i've looked online but I can't find a blusher in either brand that is the same shade as the eyeshadow. (it was a mistake buy as I doubt I'd ever wear pink on my eyes).

How are blush and eyeshadow different ingredients-wise? Will I look like aunt Sally after an hour and will my face will fall off if I use eyeshadow on my cheeks?

Pistachiois50pmore Fri 03-Mar-17 20:26:28

It's fine if it looks fine. The pigmentation might be denser though so even the same colour could randomly just not look right. But if it looks okay then party on!

It's not a good idea to go the other way and use face products around the eye area, especially if you have sensitive eyes, because they won't have been tested as eye safe. But eye stuff on cheeks is okay.

DrScholl Fri 03-Mar-17 21:04:10

i am going to piss you off
whenever a make up thing goes I use it NOW as a message to change . You think at the time its shit but the new thing is always better

poppym12 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:05:09

I've been trying different ones dr but I just can't find the right shade for my colouring. It's all too orange or too pink so I end up looking corpse or drag act, even using very sparingly.
I want a non sparkly muted pinky with a slight hint of peach cruelty free cream blusher. Is that too much to ask? Recent purchases include illamasqua, Barry m, gosh, pixi, Milani, Diego dalla palma and Ben nye. The pixi one and the Ben nye ones are OK but not quite right.

CeeCeeEnnEss Sat 04-Mar-17 08:10:30

Have you tried Chantecaille cheek gelee? I am converted.

FrustratedFrugal Sat 04-Mar-17 08:46:53

Your face will not fall off. Powder-based products can be used interchangeably. I've used e/s as blusher and it is fine. I may have resorted to them for the same reasons you have, pale cool pinks flatter me but are very hard to find. Most blushers are too dark and/or sparkly and/or warm-toned. These cool pink tines are far more common in eye shadows as a neutral base and lid wash.

highinthesky Sat 04-Mar-17 08:48:59

Using e/s for blusher with intent.

It Rimmel but IIRC I bought it from Poundland.

Floisme Sat 04-Mar-17 09:00:48

Not tried any eye shadow but I use a lip tint (Burts Bees) as blusher. As Pistachio says, I wouldn't do it the other way round but if a product has been tested as safe to go round my mouth then I'm guessing it's ok for my cheekbones. And I often use brown eye shadow on my brows.

I like multi purpose make up. I have sensitive skin so the fewer different products I put on my face, the better. It also means less stuff to carry around.

poppym12 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:13:43

No, I've not tried that one ceecee. It mentions luminosity in the description ....is it a bit sparkly?

lemonylemons Sat 04-Mar-17 09:16:07

OP, I feel your pain, very annoying when a favorite product is discontinued. I suppose you have already googled "name of your discontinued blusher" + "dupe"? Maybe some blogger did a comparison listing similar colours?

My only other advice would be to test lots of other colours even if they don't actually look all that similar / quite right for your skin tone. I've found that many blushers look completely different on your skin from what you would expect. For example a few years ago something possessed me to try the blusher in the link even though anything coral or orange is usually awful on me. In the pan the colour looks like a hideously bright orange to me but on my skin it's the perfect pink with just a hint of coral and I wear it all the time. So try to keep an open mind!

hiibeauty.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/img_3102.jpg

poppym12 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:17:27

Spot on frustrated. My colouring is really bland, light to medium neutral tone with grey/green eyes. Most blushers seem to be warm or icy cool, neither of which looks right at all.

poppym12 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:27:59

Where is that one from lemony ? It does look scarily orange in the pic but I could always try to find a tester. I've spent a ridiculous amount lately and ended up with a drawer full of stuff I've not used but can't return.

bigredboat Sat 04-Mar-17 09:35:05

Have you looked at the Tarte Amazonian clay blushes? I think there is a peachy/pink one.

RudyMentary Sat 04-Mar-17 09:39:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

poppym12 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:46:55

I'll add tarte to the list, thank you.

A lot of the brands I would buy are only available online around here rudy. I live nowhere near a big city and the stores in the towns tend to sell the usual stuff such as Estee Lauder, clinique, Mac and benefit, none of which are cruelty free.

Semaphorically Sat 04-Mar-17 09:50:53

Sleek Rose Gold is a pretty perfect dupe for NARS orgasm, which is the HG blush for lots of people with mid-range colouring (not too pink not too orange).

poppym12 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:54:04

I've tested that one semaphorically but it was sparkly. I want matte. The colour was okish though.

pinkieandperkie Sat 04-Mar-17 10:05:47

Which shade of the MUA blusher did you us that has been discontinued?

ItsThatBeverleyMacca Sat 04-Mar-17 11:10:32

I'm very pale with dark green eyes and also find blushes can be too rouge-y or too pink, so I just look flushed. My bargain saviour has been Natural Collection Peach Melba from Boots, at £1.99 - it's a lovely pinky/peach shade with no sparkly bits. I used to use a Benefit one called Georgia that was a lovely peach but they discontinued it.

harleysmammy Sat 04-Mar-17 11:14:48

The youtubers pixiwoo who created the real technique make up brushes are make up artists for famous people and they do videos on make up looks. They always use a highlight eyeshadow color on their cheeks, i do it too so no i dont think it'll be any different x

poppym12 Sat 04-Mar-17 12:09:13

It's 'blossom' cream blush pinkie. I checked with mua but they only do a couple of shades now. One is very pink and one very orange.

RudyMentary Sat 04-Mar-17 13:24:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now