Talk

Advanced search

If you have vey thick, coarse hair - how do you get your hairdresser to cut it well?

(9 Posts)
TheDowagerCuntess Thu 02-Mar-17 21:17:47

confused

I mean, surely this is their job. So why are so many seemingly unable to work with it?

My hairdresser does a quick trim after the wash, and then blowdrys it poker straight in order to properly cut it.

The result is - a cut that works beautifully for poker straight hair. Which my hair definitely IS NOT.

Help. How can I find someone who understands thick hair and cuts it well.

I'm not in the UK, but even so, how do you find someone who just understands your hair type??

GrinAndTonic Thu 02-Mar-17 22:16:21

When you find out please let me know. It doesn't matter what happens or what salon I go to I walk out with nice hair and then realise that I once again have a triangle bob that is heavy and shapeless.

Pupsiecola Thu 02-Mar-17 22:53:33

My hairdresser cuts length every other time and thins out the back section at the visits in between; can't believe no one told me that before! Makes it a lot more manageable and quicker to dry.

Can you find a hairdresser with similar hair?

ChocolateDoll Fri 03-Mar-17 00:29:34

I have one!! I have one if these hairdressers, and by God, the day she ever moves or gives up work is going to be a serious life crisis.

Hidden layers are a big part of the solution, but your hair does need to be long enough to pull that off.

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 03-Mar-17 01:05:29

That's a good tip, Pupsiecola.

What do people with curly hair do?

Surely they don't get their hair blow dried straight, and then cut?!

To be fair, I am growing my hair out and it's now only at shoulder length, so a difficult length for this hair type.

But even so - cutting it for a dead straight style is surely never going to work.

ladybird69 Fri 03-Mar-17 01:39:55

U really do need to find the right hairdresser! I struggled until my thirties until I walked into a newly opened salon and the owner said oh you'll need so and so at station 3 she's our curly hair expert and boy she is, she tames my wild mane and gives me tips and advice. Perhaps you could ring a few salons and ask whether they have a particular stylist that is good with curly hair, worth a try eh.

Pupsiecola Fri 03-Mar-17 07:49:08

I also have a couple of products that work wonders. Philip Kingsley Elasticizer, once a month (brilliant stuff) and a Living Proof Styling Treatment. I ditched silicones and SL etc in products a few years ago and now use Pureology.

Pyjamaface Fri 03-Mar-17 07:58:01

My hairdressers cuts my hair when it's wet, then dries and straightens it. She thins it out after it has been straightened.

PNGirl Fri 03-Mar-17 08:03:02

Mines's curly and I do indeed blast mine straight (so they can see the thickness) then go and have a spraydown cut. It means they can cut it straight (as in not wonky) but still thin out the volume. It's quite long though so looks good with the long layers you have cut into curly hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now