Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that Benefit Cosmetic's is overrated?

(35 Posts)
Bumblebeewine Thu 02-Mar-17 19:58:14

Hello lovely MNers smile

Am I the only one who thinks that Benefit's mascara is severely overrated? I have their Bad Gal Lash mascara and the application is nice (nothing special), but an hour afterwards it seems to always be black smudges under my eyes! I've added a photo so you can see what I mean, no eyeliner on so it can't be that! I seriously get on way better with my L'Oréal one, it never leaves any smudges. Am I the only one who think that Benefit are overrated? Is there a mascara of theirs that you love? It may just be this one product, which is fair enough, but I can't be the only one who doesn't like it??
(If anyone wants to recommend another brand or Benefit one then it's welcomed and appreciated!)smile

This picture has stretched (I think) so apologies for the quality!

sunshineglitterprincess Thu 02-Mar-17 20:06:06

Completely agree. I bought the advent calendar last year as I was desperate to try some and it was such a disappointment, especially the benetint which everyone raves about. The only thing I did like was the they're real mascara. Hated it the first time I tried it but I grew to love it and now it's my favourite. Nothing matches up to it. Everything else is pants though

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 02-Mar-17 20:08:33

I rate a couple of their things really highly:

Benetint
Dandelion
Rollerlash
Porefessional

I don't like Bad Gal.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 02-Mar-17 20:08:56

Posytint lovely too and dd1 is a Hula addict.

Samatamfabahaba Thu 02-Mar-17 20:09:32

Yep. I have the (tester size) They're Real and it's shite. It's my emergency mascara and used when I'm desperate. I use GOSH and love it, it's far far better than Benefit.

wildpoppiesanddaisies Thu 02-Mar-17 20:09:55

Your eyes are beautiful.

I used to love benefit makeup but now, aged 35, have concluded it's for younger women.

TheQueenOfItAll Thu 02-Mar-17 20:12:08

I highly rate their in-house brow waxes and Rollerlash.

As a company they are utterly shyte because they don't cater to darker shades.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 02-Mar-17 20:18:00

I'm 'old' (well, a fair bit older than 35 anyway).

moonchild77 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:20:36

I too bought their advent calendar and was seriously unimpressed. There was 3 cheek and lip tints. I thought you only got those on the front of a magazine when you're 11?!

I do however use goof proof for my eyebrows which I like.

Bellyrub1980 Thu 02-Mar-17 21:26:40

I love rollerlash. I have eyelashes that point dead straight, downwards. Rollerlash is the only mascara I've found which curls them up (without the need of a curler) WITHOUT huge clumps. The curve of the wand also seems to suit my eye shape perfectly.

I also love the hervana blusher.

The lemonaid concealer used to be amazing on me, but either the formula has changed or my skin has (more than likely the latter) as it now sits in the creases.

Do not rate their eye shadows, liners or lip products at all.

The eyebrow products intrigue me but I'm yet to try them properly

Arcadia Thu 02-Mar-17 21:28:59

Rollerlash is really good, saw it recommended on here.

noeuf Thu 02-Mar-17 21:33:30

Gone right off Benefit.

Am 43.

Now onto Estée Lauder and Bobbi Brown

PugwallsSummer Thu 02-Mar-17 21:33:40

I hate Bad Gal and agree it's really smudgy. I also hate the They're Real eyeliner because it dries immediately and doesn't come off! Not good unless you have the steadiest of hands.

However, I DO like:

Benetint and benetint lip balm
They're Real mascara
Brow Zings eyebrow kit

Their Bathina range is also lovely - smells amazing.

GotToGetMyFingerOut Thu 02-Mar-17 21:43:14

I worked for benefit from three years as an account manager. They have loads of overrated crap products. There's a few I still use daily and love though - hoola bronzer, Browzing, watts up, lollitint. I like rollerlash most as a mascara.

The lipsticks and eye shadows are crap and as for their selling technique we had to follow! hmm

GotToGetMyFingerOut Thu 02-Mar-17 21:44:03

*for

raspberryblush23 Thu 02-Mar-17 21:44:28

I quite lack Bad Gal actually: the brush is soft and it doesn't clump my stubby lashes, Rollerlash is a close second though. My other favourite benefits are: High beam, posietint, they're real lipstick/liners and the crease proof eyeshadows. AndI don't think Benefit is a purely young brand either, my 80 year old Gran wears benefit makeup- she' dandelion and Georgia blushers , I think, and benetint

Maudlinmaud Thu 02-Mar-17 21:44:37

I like their big beautiful eyes palette and their eyelid primer air patrol. I've gone off everything else but have used lots of benefit in the past. Our local store is a bit rank, all the testers are dirty and lots of items are missing.

GetAHaircutCarl Thu 02-Mar-17 21:47:08

I quite like their stuff.
And so does DD.

Brow gel. Dandelion. Lip gloss.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Thu 02-Mar-17 21:47:38

I love rollerlash mascara and the eyeliner pen thingy. Only way I can do cat eye flicks.

I quite like the oxygen foundation as well.

Maudlinmaud Thu 02-Mar-17 21:50:19

Birchbox have samples of the new lippie and liner this month, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

BestIsWest Thu 02-Mar-17 21:51:49

I like their Erase paste for my dark circles. What does Dandelion do?

greeeen Thu 02-Mar-17 21:53:29

They're real will restore your faith, it's excellent and I never get panda eyes from it despite having oily skin in that area.

Scribblegirl Thu 02-Mar-17 21:55:04

Benetint and Hugh glow have been go to products since my teens. Sadly their MUAs always make me look like a slapper wink

GetAHaircutCarl Thu 02-Mar-17 21:55:16

Yes, DD and I both both like Theyre Real and we're 3o years apart grin.

Scribblegirl Thu 02-Mar-17 21:56:05

Have to say I've also been using their brow stuff lately and I'm a fan smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now