Talk

Advanced search

Wardrobe for Rome this weekend?

(13 Posts)
happyfeet1 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:06:25

Its forecast rain and temperature ranging from 9 to 17 degrees (I think I'm reading that correctly!)

Hand luggage only. Sat-mon.

I'm wearing jeans/tshirt/trainers. Taking another pair of jeans and 2 tshirts and a dress for Saturday eve and top for Sunday eve. Pair of heels.

Would that be enough?

I can't find a suitable coat/jacket. I don't know what type will be best. I have an umbrella so a good is not a must but would be nice. It needs to be stylish too. Doesn't need to be suitable for evening wear, my dress has long sleeves.

Can anyone help find a coat/jacket suitable for Rome this time of year?

Dreadfulidea Thu 02-Mar-17 23:17:18

Can you pack another warm top - maybe a wrap type thing or big shawl. Gets chilly in the evenings,
Make sure the heels aren't too spiky. Road is a mass of cobbled streets. Painful and slow going.
Jackets - thin version of the puffa works well. Warm but you can carry or roll up into bag when the sun comes out. Everyone wears black puffa type coats out there. Don't forget sunglasses at all times.
Don't sweat the umbrella. The annoying street men that sell kids toys will suddenly start selling umbrellas the second it rains. It's like a magic trick.

KanyesVest Fri 03-Mar-17 00:43:20

I'm off to Bologna for 4 days and wondering the same. Weather will be slightly cooler and probably wetter. I'm thinking comfy travel clothes with trainers for there and back and 1 pair of navy slim trousers with 2-3 tops for day and dinner (no fancy dinners, travelling solo). I'm bringing my cosy puffa style bum covering jacket, but I'm always cold. Plus it has a hood!

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 03-Mar-17 00:51:43

How about warm jumper and waterproof instead of big coat?
Have a great time smile

AdaColeman Fri 03-Mar-17 01:05:10

Take flats instead of heels, the pavements in Rome are ankle breaking.

VintagePerfumista Fri 03-Mar-17 08:03:30

Unless you're going five star you don't need frockery for dinner.

Italians will just wear jeans and the ubiquitous puffa until May.

Lenny1980 Fri 03-Mar-17 08:44:09

If you are doing the tourist sites an umbrella will be painful in the crowds. I'd go for lightweight sweater and lightweight waterproof. And agree on the heels! Maybe a pair of flat boots if it's going to rain that much? Travel in those and squeeze trainers into carry on?

Dreadfulidea Fri 03-Mar-17 15:39:32

I have done 3 city breaks this year in year. Similar temps but no rain. This is my packing ( cabin bag 59x40x20 )

Travel out - Blue jeans, leather slide on plimsolls , long sleeved t shirt white, long grey jumper, grey scarf.
In bag: flat black boots, white jeans, blackleather look jeans, black dress. Black vest top to go under thin long sleeved top, short sleeved thin wool t shirt.

Jacket - neoprene type thing and a wrap over sleeveless wool in grey.

Wore it all and had plenty of layers which is definitely an advantage when the mornings are nippy but the days warm.

Also bring stuff you like to wear and look/feel good in. Doesn't matter if you are a bit overdressed I think. You will look fabulous in the photos and getting dressed will be nicer than dragging the same stretched T shirt out of the bag on day three.

polyhymnia Fri 03-Mar-17 15:40:48

Go to Rome a lot and just to agree with PP - don't bother with heels. They really don't mix with the hard cobbled streets. Also agree no need for a frock unless you are going to some dressy 'event'. Jeans and top fine for dinner. And, yes, I reckon the Romans will all still be in their puffas at this time of year.

Dreadfulidea Fri 03-Mar-17 15:43:51

Sorry 50 not 59! I like a bag that will fit under my seat.

Actually if you are flying on a budget airline they will put your bag in the hold for free most flights if you ask nicely. Hardly anyone brings luggage so there are no queues waiting for the bags and they are off quickly.
It feels great swanning through security with hardly anything, not having to leave a bag or lug a bag the terminal and getting on a plane and not fighting for locker space.

AdaColeman Fri 03-Mar-17 15:53:23

Just to mention a tip, avoid using a backpack style handbag, as Roman pickpockets are skilled at slitting them open while you are in a bus queue etc. I know two people that this has happened to.
So wear a front cross body bag, and be very alert especially on crowded busses and trains.

Have a great time!

Acornantics Fri 03-Mar-17 15:57:15

No heels! I took a pair of wedges and wore them once, the cobbles were most unfriendy!

Spam88 Fri 03-Mar-17 16:04:39

I really wouldn't bother with heels, I almost went over on my ankle enough times just in flat sandals.

Also, it rained one day when we were there (April) and it was not like British rain...I have never seen rain so heavy. We were totally unprepared for such a downpour and spent the evening taking it in turns to dry our shoes with the hairdryer in the hotel room so they'd be dry enough to wear the next day. So I would really advocate taking some waterproof footwear!

(And it really is like a magic trick with the street sellers and their umbrellas, as soon as the rain stops they're back to selling selfie sticks, but where on earth they keep them I do not know...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now