Talk

Advanced search

Hate my face, can't afford fillers, should I just buy a paper bag?

(22 Posts)
plotmissinginaction Thu 02-Mar-17 17:01:54

but I can't see any other way to fix it. Horrid nasiolabal lines/folds, I look awful. I have been using nip and fab which has cleared my skin a lot and I am planning to go and get some make-up advice from space nk later this month but I just feel like shit, don't want to go out because I can't stand the way I look just now and I can't see what can be done if I can't get fillers done. Would Retin A do anything? If so where the hell can I buy it? Or should I just get a paperbag and be done with it. I just turned forty. I thought I had a bit more time before all of this.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 02-Mar-17 17:03:43

Plot I posted a thread about my "laughter lines" at almost the exact same time you posted this.

plotmissinginaction Thu 02-Mar-17 17:06:52

I'll go have a read. They are so bloody depressing. Laugher lines my arse. I am not laughing.

hotchocnbiscuit Fri 03-Mar-17 05:09:01

I feel the same currently. Do you feel like this all the time? I go though phases. I personally don't trust fillers, or even Botox, but have friends who have had them.

I find at the moment that make up doesn't even make much difference. My issue is under my eyes. I feel your pain.

Brillenbar Fri 03-Mar-17 07:36:09

Hi sorry you feel like this will share my experience but sorry no magic cream to recommend

I have had the face falling off type experience- lost some weight, huge nasiolabial folds also down past my chin ( think people call them marionette lines how poetic) also "11's" between my eyes mouth very droopy. Looked like I was constantly miserable and cross. Which is not how I feel

If you look on YouTube there are lots of suggestions for exercises which are meant to help. They didn't with me. They might be worth a go - it is at least free?

When I saw a doctor with the magic needles earlier this year the reason why exercise hasn't worked became clear to me - the fat pads on in my cheeks which supported and lifted the face have just gone, or headed south.

So I have had fillers and a bit of Botox it has worked. Last weekend by 10 year old lad said mummy you look younger and really pretty.

Sorry not to have a cheaper suggestion for you. As to cost I am hoping that 300 every 6 months should do it but we'll see. That is obviously a lot of money. I am thinking of it as 50 per month. But given how successful it has been I would much prefer to spend money on that and use soap and water to wash my face than anything else

hairypaws Fri 03-Mar-17 07:57:33

You may find fillers really cost effective. I had them done first time and they lasted around 18 months I had a top up over a year ago and they're still looking good. I hated them particularly as make up would gather in them.

0dfod Fri 03-Mar-17 12:36:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 03-Mar-17 13:58:03

Not sure i would go to Spack NK for make up advice. I remember a thread on here saying how unhelpful they are.
There are plenty of things you can try so dont despair. I use boots protect and perfect moisturiser, nip and fab glycolic pads [night intense ones] and from time to time glycolic face mask - the gel one from nip and fab which really gives skin a boost. Your skin can look better smile

Truckingalong Fri 03-Mar-17 14:15:56

There's not a cream on the plant that will help once the collagen starts to go. You could try frownies and see how u go on but I'm afraid needles and lasers etc is the only way to go.

Alice212 Fri 03-Mar-17 14:43:19

OP I feel for you, I never thought I'd look at this - even this time last year I'd have said I'd never do it - but now I'm looking at fillers for chest wrinkles - consultation tomorrow - and can see that if it works there, then when my face alters (which is going to happen as I am losing weight) I will consider that too.

I have been looking at only stuff for the chest though and tbh I couldn't find anything that actually worked on wrinkle and that's how I've ended up with an appointment tomorrow, if it works out that I have to call it £50 a month I'd think that's okay.

the concern I have if I need my face doing in future - and one that maybe you should consider? - is will fillers ultimately make things worse? I mean, because they are filling out skin and then gradually emptying and being refilled...will that make the skin sag? It doesn't matter so much about my decolletage because I imagine in a few years I will just have to cover it up no matter what - but is that the long term effect in the face?

tbh this is what I saw the feature linked below that made me think that - I only know a couple of people having these treatments and they are 20 years younger than FK so it could just be her natural ageing process. I really apologise for it being the Fail, it's just something that was a fear for me when I was pondering the whole filler thing.

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3106401/A-year-giving-botox-s-smiling-Felicity-Actress-shows-natural-look-strolls-London-street.html

Pottedplants Fri 03-Mar-17 15:48:32

I recently read about collagen supplements after reading a piece about them. I haven't tried them but am starting to research them. They look interesting. I believe most skin issues can only truly be fixed from inside and it doesn't matter how many products are put on.

plotmissinginaction Fri 03-Mar-17 16:35:54

My dh would hate me to get any work done. I would do it to be honest an dI never thought I would, even if you had asked me six months ago I would have said no. I just can't stand myself right now. I feel ashamed of my face. I've been unwell these last few years so I think that's taking its toll on me, I just look awful. I've been doing facial exercises but I haven't noticed any difference so far. I'd be quite happy to commit time to them if they worked though.

Alice212 Fri 03-Mar-17 17:12:40

OP sorry to hear you've been ill
maybe wait a while - I have looked 10 years older after major illness, it went away though. Def give it some time if that might be the cause.

BornStroppy Fri 03-Mar-17 17:43:14

Sorry op I did feel like this when I turned forty as well. I cut out booze, raised water intake and tried to reduce sugar. Look ok, but if nothing else it'll stop me ageing any faster

plotmissinginaction Fri 03-Mar-17 19:49:47

I can't drink thanks to the illness so I suppose that's a silver lining, no need to try and cut the stuff out! Bit too much dark chocolate going on though, kids myself on it's healthy. I feel weirdly embarrassed by getting older, I feel ashamed of how I look. I hate how powerless it makes me feel too, nothing I can do.

Alice212 Fri 03-Mar-17 23:22:24

I wish I had some words of wisdom
Ive actually never even cared much about what i look like so it's a bit weird to suddenly feel horrified when I look in the mirror.
I rarely drink, don't smoke, work out etc.
I thought my mother aged really well but now I wonder if it's the eye of the beholder, I mean we always think the people we love look lovely.

BadlyDrawnBuoy Sat 04-Mar-17 01:01:25

Retin a has made a huge difference to my skin. It's not an easy option as you need to build up use gradually and it takes a few months to see a change. There's plenty of clinical evidence to demonstrate that it changes your skin on a molecular level (rebuilding collagen). Well worth looking into but you have to be in it for the long haul.

plotmissinginaction Sat 04-Mar-17 08:56:12

Can I ask where you get it from? I'm happy to put the time in but I know you have to get it from abroad and I am not sure how.

My mother obsessed about her age from about thirty. Always swore I wouldn't. The wrinkles are hard but it's the sagging that's killing me. Makes me look rough.

specialsubject Sat 04-Mar-17 14:47:53

Botox or surgery. Aloe vera, lemon juice etc will do nothing.

Or smile - look at actress Nicola walker and how damn pretty she is with her characterful face and lovely smile. Compare with the plastic such as Caprice, Nicole kidman etc.

jeaux90 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:30:43

How about IPL on your face if you don't want fillers?

I have really good results with it. Got rid of my broken blood vessels and discolouration and I think of definitely gets the collagen production up.

Truckingalong Mon 06-Mar-17 06:17:43

I'm a bit concerned too about fillers ultimately making your skin looser. I went to see a top doc recently for a consultation and she said ultherapy first before fillers to tighten the skin up. Am still pondering. It's bloody expensive and I've read mixed reviews on it.

plotmissinginaction Mon 06-Mar-17 14:36:15

I might just give up mirrors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now