Talk

Advanced search

Foundation for mid 50's pale skin

(11 Posts)
pixiebaby23 Thu 02-Mar-17 11:05:50

Any recommendations please? My skin has years of wear and tear - acne scars, thread veins - but I don't want to look caked, plus, annoyingly, I still get the occasional spot.

And it's quite pale.

Ideally I'd like to try some samples first - any (not too £££) suggestions, please?

Blastandtroph Thu 02-Mar-17 11:08:50

I like Clinique bb's cream. Evens out my skin tone, hides my redness when flaring but I don't look too made up. You should be able to get a sample from one of their counters.

JonesyAndTheSalad Thu 02-Mar-17 11:11:39

I find that as I've aged, foundation in the traditional sense just doesn't work for me any longer.

I also have red marks etc and it looks caked on me.

The BEST product is the Kryolan concealor wheel. It's extremely highly pigmented concealor which you can choose the right shade for different areas of your face and mix them up a bit too.

I use that after a good BB Cream...so BB Cream, then some Kryolan...blend the concealor in well using a brush...a brush is better at targeting the problem areas.

It blends beautifully. If your skin is oily, use a translucent powder LIGHTLY across the whole face. If it's dry, don't bother.

Then a bit of natural blusher and whatever eye makeup you like.

ilovecherries Thu 02-Mar-17 12:31:40

I like CC cream from both Chanel and Clinique. I actually went to get foundation, and on both counters they talked me into CC cream instead. Yesterday I tried Lancôme sponge foundation in Selfridges, and it was lovely feel and coverage, and didn't crease. I didn't buy it at the time though as I was convinced of the colour match after the assistant said the dreaded words 'we'll just warm you up a bit'. Nooooo!!!!! I will probably try it though if I can get a better match.

VintagePerfumista Thu 02-Mar-17 12:38:27

I am pale and 52- I have Chanel Les Beiges, which is a very light but buildable coverage and also Chanel Perfection Lumiere which is more of a foundation but still nowhere near the Barbara Cartland effect that you get from things like Double-wear and Bare Minerals etc.

Clinique laser-repair is also nice.

Dog's bollocks though is Maybelline dream satin liquid. It's ace. And about a fiver!

I don't like the spongey cushion things- I think they are a lot of money for not a lot of product- and basically a gimmick- so you're passing a liquid foundation through a sponge before it goes on your face...and so? (tried the Dior and the L'Oreal ones)

I feel I need more, not less coverage as I get older, so go for foundation not BB/CC though occasionally I use the Boots botanics one that I still have a stash of, since it became a MN holy grail.

pixiebaby23 Thu 02-Mar-17 14:41:08

Thanks everyone, I'm aiming to go shopping next week.

Floisme Thu 02-Mar-17 19:28:46

I like the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation (Porcelain). It's a good colour match for me and the coverage is very light and natural looking.

In terms of colour match, Number 7 Stay Perfect is just as good but I find it a bit thick and cakey.

HectorAndKiki Thu 02-Mar-17 19:37:03

Got to agree with vintage the maybelline dream satin is brilliant, just wish I'd have found out about it years ago, before spending £ss on expensive foundations that just weren't "quite" right.

HeirToday Thu 02-Mar-17 19:40:57

Depends how much you want to pay.

In the pricier range I'd suggest trying Clinique, Nars, definitely Bobbi Brown and Dior (I love Dior Star.)
Also don't dismiss Clarins for make up their Extra Firming foundation is nice.

All of the above except Nars should give you samples.

Boots No 7 isn't bad either if you can find a shade that's right- they are all too dark and pink for me. (I'm pale too.)

BestIsWest Thu 02-Mar-17 22:27:29

I really like Lancome Teint Miracle. It's quite sheer and light.

Scuttlebutter Fri 03-Mar-17 00:18:43

I'm 52 with pale skin and I use Clarins Skin Illusion. It's lovely, very light, doesn't feel cloggy or sticky, the colour is great for me and once it's on it stays put. The coverage isn't super dense but I didn't want that - I've just got a nicely evened out skin tone and look bright and fresh. I use the Nude shade but the ivory is even paler. ( I have dark hair, blue eyes and pale skin which tends to pink rather than yellow).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now