Talk

Advanced search

H & M Dress

(20 Posts)
Deathraystare Wed 01-Mar-17 10:51:50

Had a quick look but cannot see any posts.

Anyone else heard about the size 12 lady who kept going up a size to fit the dress and the size 20 fitted! I am just as shocked that they had a size 20 tbh. Rarely found anything past a 16 in that shop.

Bluntness100 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:57:34

metro.co.uk/2017/02/23/size-12-woman-has-to-buy-a-size-20-dress-in-hm-thanks-to-their-bizarre-sizes-6467919/

This one? Yes she looks a twelve to me. Shocking that dress is labelled a 20...

Maudlinmaud Wed 01-Mar-17 11:01:59

Size 8 here, I wear an xs in zara but find I need jeans and trousers in a size 12 in h&m. I can also get into a small in h&m in their jersey items. Weird.

Luciferthethird Wed 01-Mar-17 11:09:51

I'm a 12 -14 every where except H and M. I forgot this ordered a pair of 14 jeggings and I can't get them past my thighs. Does my head in.

AFierceBadRabbit Wed 01-Mar-17 11:14:42

Had odd experiences trying their jeans (quite tiny those!) but in general H&M works true to size for me. The tops are usually too big confused

In my opinion nearly all my high street shops have some level of bizarre sizing!

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 01-Mar-17 11:22:08

i hate H&M sizing I am a size 12-14 in most places, can't get into their jeans though a size 14 is very very tight and uncomfortable so have to get a 16-18, I've stopped shopping there.

Deathraystare Wed 01-Mar-17 11:34:09

I think she has bought from there before. I guess the sizing cannot all turn up the same size (different manufacturers etc) . I can understand a little bit of a difference. Certain cuts are too tight across the breast, that sort of thing but from a size 12 to 20 !!!!

Bluntness100 Wed 01-Mar-17 11:39:35

I also think it's to do with the fact they must use different manufacturers. I quite like their jeans and am usually the same size, however I took two pairs, one normal range into the changing room and they fit fine, and another pair from downstairs from a different range, in in the same size and I couldn't get the second pair past my knees. Both were "skinny jeans" so not even a style difference issue. Logically they should both have had a similar fit.

Instead of thinking there was something wrong with the sizing, and even though I knew that logically, I simply felt fat, embarrassed and uncomfortable and left.

I've also had the same problem with ordering on line from them. It's really hit and miss in terms of the sizing.

Their tops though are made big so generally have to down size, which is more flattering to the ego than thinking you're a ten and realising they think you're an 18.

Mrs9C Wed 01-Mar-17 12:25:13

H&M sizing is ridiculous. I sized up for a dress recently and it wouldn't even close on me, not on! I'm a 10/12 and the 14 was way too tight, I reckon I would have needed an 18 to fit! Grrr.

imjessie Wed 01-Mar-17 12:48:54

Their demographic is young slim hipped teenagers / young adults though? They aren't going to fit older / wider hipped though . My dd is 13 and very slim and no hips as yet , she wears their size 6 . I'm not sure who wears size 2 and 4!!!!

Orangebird69 Wed 01-Mar-17 12:51:51

Hmm. She's obviously not a size 20 (sort it out H&M!) but I don't think she's a size 12 either.

rollonthesummer Wed 01-Mar-17 12:53:35

Hmm. She's obviously not a size 20 (sort it out H&M!) but I don't think she's a size 12 either.

I agree.

HateSummer Wed 01-Mar-17 12:55:05

I'm size 12 trousers, but have to buy size 16 in H&M.

dailystuck71 Wed 01-Mar-17 13:17:19

Why do posters have to do that? Why say you don't think she's a size 12? What size do you think she is? She's about the same shape and size as me I can assure you I'm a 12.

Orangebird69 Wed 01-Mar-17 14:16:04

Because her boobs are too big for a start. And her hips to imo.

GatoradeMeBitch Wed 01-Mar-17 16:57:37

I hate high street sizing, and I hate they they say it's down to our vanity.

It's so easy to shop for my son - measurements in inches, it makes so much sense. And even S/M/L is always S/M/L.

I very rarely buy clothes online now, unless the sizes are stated in inches. And I rarely go clothes shopping, I have to be in an almost zen mood to even contemplate it. It's such a waste of time taking three sizes of everything into the changing room in hopes that one of them will be right.

Can't Mumsnet campaign for standardized sizes? It would probably save us all the equivalent of a couple of days every year!

dailystuck71 Wed 01-Mar-17 17:15:55

You are quite offensive orange. No wonder people have body image issues. I have big boobs. 34e and I am still a 12. Pretty saddened to see big boobs and hips but you don't say nice waist or arms as an example. Very sad.

Floisme Wed 01-Mar-17 17:28:26

I'm normally size 8-10 but the last pair of jeans I bought in H&M were 16.
It doesn't bother me but it means I only buy there if I've time to try on at least 3 sizes and never order online. So their loss really.
What's more concerning is that it's a sign that their supply chain is all over the place which makes me wonder how they can possibly maintain the ethical standards that they lay claim to.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:54:10

I have big boobs 34GG and big hips but I m still a size 12 and and 12-14 on my top half.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 01-Mar-17 22:04:44

I find H&M and Zara bonkers size-wise. I'm a standard 10 top, 12 bottom in places like Topshop, Warehouse, Whistles etc, but would take three or four different sizes in in to try in Zara or H&M. I have things from Zara in XS, S, M and L. On the flip-side, I usually wear All Saints jeans, in a 29 waist, and recently ordered some from Jigsaw - even sizing down to a 27 they were huge in the waist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now