Talk

Advanced search

Bras for sore shoulders?

(14 Posts)
ifitsnotanarse Tue 28-Feb-17 15:52:02

Just that. Can anyone recommend a bra or bra top for sore shoulders?

I have a lot of pain in my shoulders - collarbone, scapula and top of arms (possibly arthritis or connective tissue disease - waiting for diagnosis from the rheumatologist but seeing physiotherapist later this week). Even with a correctly fitted bra, straps cause much pain and it is such a relief to remove the offending item after a few hours.

However, at a 34DD/E (Mumsnet rules)I cannot go bra-less as there is just too much jiggling and juddering for maintaining public decency.

Would love to wear something like this Vercella Vita bra tops but not sure how much support and shape they would give. I am a short hourglass and need to look slightly dressed up to have any sort of figure. blush

bluebiro Tue 28-Feb-17 21:41:34

Would a strapless bra be any good? I've seen the Wonderbra ultimate recommended a lot on here, though at a 34DD/E I'd imagine you'd have a lot of choice of makes - and some could well be comfortable enough for everyday wear!

KatharinaRosalie Tue 28-Feb-17 21:47:35

yes try the wonderbra strapless. It's very tight so you might need to go up a back size

ifitsnotanarse Tue 28-Feb-17 22:40:23

Thank you both. I'll look that up.

Might be worth looking at Bravissimo's pyjama tops; they do ones which just look like ordinary vests but they have a built in wireless bra. I have a few of the racer back ones which I wear on holiday.

I'd imagine that having a few different options would help so that you're not putting the strain on the same place all the time.

illegitimateMortificadospawn Tue 28-Feb-17 23:06:01

I received the Bravissimo catalogue today in the post. They now do a sleep bra. Not sure how supportive it is, but it has wide shoulder straps & looks really comfy.

illegitimateMortificadospawn Tue 28-Feb-17 23:07:17

Linky

sockgate Tue 28-Feb-17 23:16:20

Have you tried a really decent sports bra with wide, soft shoulder straps and a wide tight band (triple clip) around your back?

I have less boob but do have hypermobile joints (inc shoulders) and a similar ratio of breast to back. I often wear Shock Absorbers similar to the one below. If it fits your back properly, the trunk should take much of the weight. If my shoulders are aching, I loosen the straps a bit and the back straps take much of the weight, the shoulder straps are there more for guidance and jiggle control.

Be careful with measurements though - I'm 28e (Mumsnet/Bravissimo confirmed) and I had to go for a 30dd in Shock Aborber so I could actually breathe grin.

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_152010338160_-1

Sugarlumps333 Tue 28-Feb-17 23:18:07

Sports bra with wide padded shoulder straps and not too tight back.

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Tue 28-Feb-17 23:22:33

I have a similar issue and, may sound weird, but I've found non underwired bras are comfier all over including the straps. Just got some this week in fact, I'm a dd too and M&S do non wired bras up to my size.

knittykitty66 Wed 01-Mar-17 02:20:57

Have a velcella vita vest (medium support) and have found it perfect for everyday wear, though obviously not for running in (40J's need strapping down for that). Found have less back pain & shoulder pain when wearing it than normal bra as a suppose having the compression on back & wide straps is more supportive. If I'm wearing something dressy I second the suggestion of non-wired bra (with wide straps if possible) being more supportive and less painful than wired. As it gives a bit more uplift than VV vest does.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 01-Mar-17 13:43:46

Also Freya does several long line bras - they are a lot more supportive, as the band around your back is very wide.

ifitsnotanarse Wed 01-Mar-17 22:50:44

Thank you all for your replies.

I had a look at the Wonderbra and think it's not quite right for everyday use but would be for occasional wear. The Shock Absorbers might be too bulky for wear under ordinary clothes and again have straps which is, I think, part of the problem. I also have very narrow shoulders, and straps do not stay put for long despite tightening and re-tightening.

After searching Amazon I have ordered two of these Bralette. Not sure how much support they will provide but will give them a go.

knittykitty66 I had seen the velcella vita vest on QVC before. Must look them up again.

Thank you all again. flowers My shoulders and I appreciate it. smile

PickAChew Wed 01-Mar-17 22:57:07

If you have bra intervention obedient underwired bras, do they actually provide any support with the straps down? You really do need to focus on taking the burden of support off your shoulders and a bra that fits well should achieve that. Your breasts aren't that large at your size - I'm a very floppy 32GG/30H (really not huge at all) and hypermobile like a PP and good support from the band itself makes the world of difference to my shoulders and neck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now