Talk

Advanced search

Where best to book a make up session?

(9 Posts)
Lucysdiamonds Tue 28-Feb-17 00:08:30

I'm 52 and barely wear make up. However I think my eyes would benefit from a little .. but I've sensitive skin around my eyes that reacts to many things. What company would I be best booking a make up session with? How do I go about it and does it cost? Will they pressure me into buying ... I won't know til later if it will affect my skin? What do they do? .. I don't want to look made up, just enhance my eyes a little without looking like I'm wearing makeup iyswim.

crazycatlady25 Tue 28-Feb-17 00:36:52

Mac located in some Debenhams stores do make up sessions, the girls who work there are pretty made up, but it's the closest you will get to a professional lesson i reckon. My friend likes natural/ light not too made up looking make up and they did a great job with her : )

http://m.maccosmetics.co.uk/makeup-services

Lucysdiamonds Fri 03-Mar-17 22:36:37

I was in Boots this morning and perusing the Benefits counter and the assistant approached me, I asked if I could book an appointment and she said had time then, so I spent a happy 45 mins there smile She was great, no hard sell. She advised on face cream, primer, foundation, eye shadow and eye liner and mascara. I did buy a pack of primer and face cream .. the face cream smells lovely! I've booked again in 3 weeks time - she asked if I wanted to - but might let my dd15 have the appt instead.

dailystuck71 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:54:46

MAC scare me. Most of the girls look like they've done their make up in the dark. My 8 year old could do better. May be try Bobbi brown?

jammyjay Sat 04-Mar-17 10:00:21

I have always gone to MAC for advice. It's true that some of them look like they've put all the make up on but they will always listen to what you want and show you how to apply.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 04-Mar-17 11:39:17

I bought my DD a Laura Mercier powder last week, the SA was brilliant , spent loads of time advising DD (who is really into her make-up)

Also Urban Decay when I bought DD a foundation, the SA did a full foundation/powder/bronzer for her (it was quiet in store TBF)

I would happily book either of those for a make-up session (depending on what brand she wanted)

MightyMunki Sat 04-Mar-17 13:00:18

Vote for Mac, they go as natural or as full on as you want, and know their stuff well. I went just before Xmas and was taught how to do a nice everyday look and then how to glam it up a bit for a special night out. Theres no hard sell either, they just ask if there's anything your particularly liked that you want to purchase. I went to the Westfield in Stratford.

Lucysdiamonds Sat 04-Mar-17 18:43:29

I was reasonably happy with Benefit but may try MAC next time.

I have to admit I didn't like the foundation when I got home and the eye liner was too much. Too black. Too solid. I'll probably stick to my brown smudged eye liner but might try a foundation somewhere else. I was hoping for something I couldn't see that just made my skin look perfect .. but I could see the foundation, could tell it was there .. it didn't look natural.

Ilovetorrentialrain Sat 04-Mar-17 18:45:32

OP I would always recommend Bobbi Brown.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now