Talk

Advanced search

Interview Jigsaw dress styling tips needed

(35 Posts)
ThunderClouds Mon 27-Feb-17 09:38:20

I have an interview with the civil service and have bought this dress: http://www.jigsaw-online.com/product/spiro-print-silk-dress/J32647_PI081

It was a bit pricey but I've put a lot of weight on with my current meds(size 16, I think pear shaped) and tbh it's been the only formal thing that's fitted perfectly and made me feel really good. Plus I'll wear it plenty after the interview.

How would you recommend styling it for the interview? I'm thinking a fitted navy jacket and simple navy flat shoes and a vintage tan bag I already have? This might work better than black? I currently have a knee injury so no heels I'm afraid...

Also if anyone can see a way to make opaques look good that'd be great as I have a smallish tattoo on one leg that I'd like to cover for the interview. If not I could just wear a longer knee bandage as I'll have one on anyway.

Thanks!!

Rockaby Mon 27-Feb-17 09:46:08

What a beautiful dress!

I would definitely wear opaques with it, regardless of the tattoo (I have one on my leg too btw). I think bare legs might make it look too wedding Guesty, though that might just be me!

I think the navy jacket sounds good. I don't think navy tights and navy shoes would look all that great together, so maybe navy tights with grey shoes or grey tights and navy shoes maybe. I'd probably go with a navy or grey bag too or not bring one unless you have to.

ThunderClouds Mon 27-Feb-17 13:59:18

Thank you so much for your reply! Grey tights sound much nicer than black. Ill definitely try a pair. You have a point about the summery wedding guest look.

Laiste Mon 27-Feb-17 14:13:17

www.jigsaw-online.com/product/spiro-print-silk-dress/J32647_PI081

This one? It's very pretty. I agree about keeping away from the black. When you look close it does have some very dark fine lines, so navy or dark grey opaques. I think you'll have to experiment with the shoes. Tricky!

ThunderClouds Mon 27-Feb-17 18:50:36

That's the one! Yea, I just think black would be too harsh against the delicate pattern

DrScholl Mon 27-Feb-17 18:51:35

that is not a work dress

ChocolateSherberts2017 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:48:16

Beautiful dress but I would think it more of an 'occasion' dress rather than an interview dress. Your suggestion of navy jacket, shoes & tan bag would work.

Manijo Mon 27-Feb-17 21:05:52

gorgeous dress but not for interview

WipsGlitter Mon 27-Feb-17 21:08:30

I agree it's not a work dress but i think if you have a jacket over it, it might be ok.

LoupGarou Mon 27-Feb-17 21:12:57

I agree with others, absolutely beautiful dress but not for an interview with the civil service. Have you got a suit you could wear? Or some formal trousers?

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Mon 27-Feb-17 21:22:19

I think with a very formal navy jacket and shoes it would be fine.

2017SoFarSoGood Mon 27-Feb-17 21:23:04

Lovely dress. My first thought was oh no absolutely not for an interview. BUT it could work if you completely play down the rest in monochromatic more 'work' appropriate lines. Navy blazer, flats and opaque tights - I'd keep it all the one color so that it kind of blends and reduces the colors in the dress.

If you feel like you look good in you go for it. Feeling like you look good is 90% of the game!

ThunderClouds Mon 27-Feb-17 21:30:33

I know what you guys mean, in the ordinary run of things I'd go for something a bit plainer and more tailored but no trousers or suit skirts I've tried on are looking good at the minute so I thought I'd go for something that at least looked good for a bit of extra confidence and try to style it appropriately. Damn that looks lame written down!

Pestilentialone Mon 27-Feb-17 21:30:41

Beware the plain navy blazer. The air hostess look needs to be avoided. Something like this navy opaques and shoes, might work. I love a bit of tweed.
I wear silk dresses to work all the time, with knee boots and a cardi. Need to be a tad smarter for an interview.

NewPantsforaNewYear Mon 27-Feb-17 22:03:12

I know this is petite but I think something like this cropped navy blazer would look great with that dress. (I find Jigsaw dresses are often goodfor pears)

I think you may need to try on various colour combinations of tights and shoes and it's hard to imagine what will look best. Definitely not black or a black bag.
Good luck with the interview!

DrScholl Tue 28-Feb-17 06:29:43

It's wrong. But something else

HollyBollyBooBoo Tue 28-Feb-17 06:36:45

It doesn't look like a work or interview dress. I always imagine the civil service to be quite traditional in terms of black/grey/navy workwear?

Have you tried it on? Depending on how big your boobs are that amount of pattern across bigger boobs right up to your neck could make you look bigger than you are (I speak from experience!) generally a v neck or low scoop neck/cowl neck is much more flattering.

Opaque tights would really dominate the outfit.

I'd be looking for a new outfit if I'm completely honest.

user1471495191 Tue 28-Feb-17 06:54:53

A few years ago I realised I felt uncomfortable in the traditional interview suit. I always now wear a colourful/patterned dress with smart Mary Janes and a classic black cropped suit jacket from Hobbs. I have succeeded in every interview. I feel comfortable and energised, plus can show some personality and stand out from the crowd. Interviewers have specifically complimented my outfits after interview.

Having interviewed myself and observed interviews by other colleagues, I far prefer candidates who show some originality and personality in the same way.

I think the dress is lovely and with a decent jacket, shoes and bag you will have a great interview outfit.

The dress I wore to my last interview was £26 from the Next casual dress section... (ps I work in a civil service type environment)

Bluntness100 Tue 28-Feb-17 07:07:43

I work in a very corporate environment, and that dress if worn with a formal fitted navy jacket would work just fine, but I don't think uou can get away with opaques with it, I think it will need to be courts and nylons, either in nude or maybe pale grey with matching shoes.

Rockaby Tue 28-Feb-17 07:14:15

I totally disagree with DrScholl. I have worked for some really corporate companies. The last one was FTSE 100 in a very corporate office. I also used to interview people for a living. I know why people might have initially thought this 'wasn't an interview dress' but that's just because it is a bit different to the bog standard interview suit. I prefer it when people show a bit of character too, and styled well this will look ace imo.

meladeso Tue 28-Feb-17 07:27:14

Of course it's suitable for work / interviews OP. You right that it depends how you style it.
I love the tweed jacket a PP suggested.
And I wholeheartedly agree with what user wrote at 6:54.
People have become so stifled IMO by what they perceive to be office wear.

You are perfectly capable of making this formal, as opposed to flippant (although agreed it will double brilliantly for lots of other things - yay!)

Smart wear does not need to be drab, or even sharp slick suiting. But it does need to be suitably professional. Your dress is beautiful and I hope you feel wonderful wearing it.

meladeso Tue 28-Feb-17 07:28:12

Yes yes rockaby smile

ThunderClouds Tue 28-Feb-17 08:58:33

Thanks so much for the responses so far! I love the two jackets. The red accents on the tweed would pick up the pinky colours and the m&s looks really well cut.

Holly, good point but my boobs are rather small. My weight is mainly in my bum and thighs. Which looks fine in Jersey but I just haven't found anything tailored that has worked. I don't really have time to get alterations done as there is nowhere near me that doesn't take forever and I wouldnt trust my own skills on a suit just yet!

I'm really glad that many (granted, not all) of you think the dress could be made interview suitable and appreciate the suggestions.

BabyHamster Tue 28-Feb-17 13:10:00

I used to work in the civil service (although of course it may have been a different branch) and that dress would have been fine. You just need to make sure it's smartened up appropriately. It definitely needs a jacket, and I'd wear only very minimal jewellery.

I'd go for a navy jacket and shoes and a grey bag, probably? I know what a PP means about the air hostess look but as it's not a very air hostess type dress I think you're safe.

DrScholl Tue 28-Feb-17 21:24:03

'character'
that is ok if you like it - otherwise it is shit

if you are any one at all your character will come out of your mouth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now