Talk

Advanced search

Can we have an oil appreciation thread? (Coconut, argan, etc)

(38 Posts)
sherazade Sun 26-Feb-17 20:29:37

Apologies if there is one already
Anyone stopped using traditional skincare products and converted to oils or just use oils occasionally, please share what works for you .. I'd love to hear about it !
I've used a cleanse, tone and moisturise routine for years before realising that it wasn't the products that weren't right for me but the concept of stripping my skin off natural oils and then replacing them with lotions . Have used Clinique, avenue, Liz Earle , Kiehls as well as cheaper stuff like Nivea and L'Oréal before accidentally stumbling on the incredible difference that oils make to my skin . I Had run out of makeup remover and heard about oil being cleansing so I slathered coconut oil on my face and rinsed off with a hot cloth to find that my skin was completely soft and clean, my usually very dry and very sensitive red/blotchy skin didn't need moisturising and it glowed in the morning . Since then , I've discovered lots of other oils that work amazingly well and I find that after years of relying on foundation daily to make my skin look ok - I'm confident enough to go without and feel my bare skin actually looks better without any product !!
My favourites are
- prickly pear seed oil as a facial serum
- Argan oil to tame, smoothen and defrost wavy hair
Similarly , I've found that I don't need to straighten my hair all the time and washing with a solid black seed oil bar and then applying a few drops of argan oil along with combing with my fingers and not a brush keeps my hair really soft and frizz is so much better !
Has anyone else got any beauty secrets they can credit to oil ? Would love to hear them !

buzzmoon Sun 26-Feb-17 20:32:32

I love coconut oil as a make up remover! Its totally changed my skin i love it! I would love to hear about other oils - sorry I can't add much!
Ooh emu oil is supposed to be good, anyone tried this?

startingtolooklikemother Sun 26-Feb-17 20:35:45

I've ditched my expensive moisturiser and now just use coconut oil on my face. It's brilliant and my skin has never been better and it's saved me an absolute fortune, lovely stuff!!!!

MsAR Sun 26-Feb-17 20:45:50

Coconut oil convert here too. My skin is so much better for it. Went for a facial and the beautician (who was trying to flog me products) was horrified when I said I'd stopped using any other products.

ilovecherries Sun 26-Feb-17 21:05:41

We've just spent two days without plumbing because the woman downline from us uses coconut oil to clean her teeth. Who the hell would spit oil down the drain twice a day. I'm not sure where people think it goes. So on that basis, I currently hate coconut oil with a passion.

buzzmoon Sun 26-Feb-17 21:13:04

In my defence I take it off with cotton pads so nothing down the drain!

LoupGarou Sun 26-Feb-17 21:16:41

I put coconut oil in my bathwater to make my skin silky. I also really love monoi oil, I put it on before nighs out and my skin absolutely glows plus it combines two of my favourite things, coconut oil and gardenia.

GVmama Sun 26-Feb-17 21:22:00

Argan oil is amazing for smoothing and knotty scratty rats-tail hair, if (like me) you have a stubborn toddler who goes through stages of refusing to allow anyone to brush her hair.

I was at the point that I tough I was going to have to cut some of the knots out, but a good blob of aran oil completely sorted it out. I can't tell you the relief I felt when I finally got the brush straight through!!

CallarMorvern Sun 26-Feb-17 21:45:15

I want to start oil cleansing, have read a few blogs and olive oil isn't recommended, which is unfortunate as it's what I have in the cupboard. I was wondering about coconut oil, but value my drains! What about avocado oil? Or would sweet almond be better? I've seen rosehip locally but it's kind of pricey.

BagelGoesWalking Sun 26-Feb-17 21:48:06

Every single article I've ever read about oil pulling has always specifically said to never put it down the drains!

cannaethink Sun 26-Feb-17 22:30:32

I use jojoba oil to remove my eye make up, and as a night serum sometimes too.
I found coconut oil gave me blackheads! But I use it on my hair occasionally if it's very dry as it sorts it right out.

yumyumpoppycat Sun 26-Feb-17 22:48:08

Would coconut oil work if it was wiped off with one of those water wipes for babies? I am interested in all this but mid terrace house and do not want to block the drains.

sherazade Mon 27-Feb-17 01:44:10

Yumy- it would have to be hot and damp to effectively remove the oil . A hot cloth or large cotton pads soaked in hot water and then with the water squeezed out works really well. Just bin the cotton pads when done.

sherazade Mon 27-Feb-17 01:46:47

Caller- a greasy oil rather than a dry oil is more effective at makeup removal and rose hip whilst being fab is a drier oil. I'd use the coconut and swipe off with cotton .

MissDallas Mon 27-Feb-17 02:23:46

Yes, me. After a lifetime of using expensive skincare and body products, I now use coconut oil on my face and body. My skin has never been better and it's saving me a fortune!

Teaguzzler Mon 27-Feb-17 03:16:44

Those of you who use coconut oil as a face cleanser - no moisturiser? My skin is always red and blotchy after cleansing and moisturising. Is coconut oil the answer?

ThreesMyMagicNumber Mon 27-Feb-17 04:11:57

Rose hip oil is great, I cleanse with almond or coconut first.
Am also a complete coconut oil convert, not much that it won't help!

VintagePerfumista Mon 27-Feb-17 07:04:59

I use lots of oils, Argan, Avocado, Olive etc.

The only one I find a bit meh is rosehip- as many beauty bloggers have said though, once you get past 35 a crushed rosehip ain't gonna get rid of those lines! (I am very past 35!)

I am envy at your coconut oil stash- I am abroad and ordered from Holland and Barrett. They sent me a bottle of cherry juice instead. hmm

VintagePerfumista Mon 27-Feb-17 07:06:21

Teaguzzler- if you are cleansing with an oil and then hot clothing it off, then you'd want a moisturiser as well, which of course could also be an oil.

I use a moisturiser and then an oil on top a couple of times a week.

Teaguzzler Mon 27-Feb-17 07:10:52

Thanks vintage!

watermelongun Mon 27-Feb-17 09:21:15

Have been using coconut oil as eye makeup remover for yonks now - works so well! I don't use it much on my face as I find my skin is amazing for 2 days and then I get blotchy, but use it on my body regularly, including mixed with a little firm honey and salt or sugar as a scrub. Also LOVING Argan oil for my hair at the moment! I rub a little in the ends 10 minutes before a shower and shampoo and condition as normal, then another tiny drop as a blow dry serum. Works so well. I've also been using the tiniest drop mixed with illuminating serum as a makeup base and my skin has been fantastic since I've been doing it - is so silky! Haven't tried any other oils, bit skint at the moment but watching thread for ideas.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 27-Feb-17 09:33:10

Where do you buy your prickly pear oil, OP?

I've been wanting to try it ever since a read in a poncy French magazine about a famous model/actress who had her own brand using it.

sherazade Mon 27-Feb-17 11:21:14

Chardonnay , a Moroccan lady I know sells them ! She has a Facebook page which if you put argan tefrewt into search will come up , however I have no idea if she posts / ships and no experience with that. My mum who can be sold anything bumped into her when we were out for coffee one day and she gotntalking to my mum about the prickly pear making claims it was natural 'botox' . I sat there rollling my eyes thinking some people will say anything to sell. Anyway my mum bought the oil which cost a fortune I think it was about £70 for 30 ml although I could be wrong . A couple months later I notice my mum hasn't touched the oil ( she gets convinced into buying stuff and never uses it ) and says I could give it a whirl. After one application I was totally wowed by it ! Am close to runnning out now, know another business www.sunnahskincare.com where friends buy theirs from and it's a lot cheaper but am keen to stick to the same brand . So haven't decided where I'll be buying my next bottle from !

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 27-Feb-17 12:30:21

Thanks!

I found some on Amazon, so might give it a go.

ThunderClouds Mon 27-Feb-17 14:00:42

Olive oil is a great waterproof eye makeup remover

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now