Talk

Advanced search

Skater dress at my age? Yay or nay!

(56 Posts)
PuntCuffin Sun 26-Feb-17 15:43:04

First thread in the section of MN I find scariest!

DH came home with a Ted Baker skater dress for me a couple of days ago. In my mind I associate this style with young, slim, leggy women. I am nearly 45 and only 5'2", curvy size 8-10. I am not sure I have the heart to say to him that it isn't 'me', but I have no idea what I would wear it for! My job is home based, I hardly ever have to go to an office, and when I do, it is pretty casual! Thoughts?

http://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/FLUXAM-Folk-Foliage-skater-dress-Dark-Blue/p/133968-DK-BLUE?plpSlots=1

hollinhurst84 Sun 26-Feb-17 15:44:33

How much!!? grin
It's cute, do you like it when you've tried it on?

PuntCuffin Sun 26-Feb-17 15:44:58

www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/FLUXAM-Folk-Foliage-skater-dress-Dark-Blue/p/133968-DK-BLUE?plpSlots=1

Link fail, try again...

Rubyslippers7780 Sun 26-Feb-17 15:46:31

Looks fab! If you like it - wear it!!

PuntCuffin Sun 26-Feb-17 15:47:13

He didn't have to pay full price, gets a substantial discount because of where he works.

I am concerned it emphasises my hips/arse!

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sun 26-Feb-17 15:47:35

Wow! What a nice DH!!

I think skater dresses are flattering and you sound slim and lovely. Watch the length though if you are short!

I don't think those dresses are mutton dressed as lamb at all - but possibly I'd watch fussy prints?

It looks like a going out dress? I certainly wouldn't sit around the house in something so -expensive- lovely.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sun 26-Feb-17 15:48:04

I have no idea why strikethrough never works for me!! Grrr

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 26-Feb-17 15:48:14

Gorgeous dress! I'm 2 years older than you and a few dress sizes bigger, but I'd definitely wear it.

leccybill Sun 26-Feb-17 15:48:49

It's a gorgeous dress. Ask him to take you out somewhere nice to wear it. Navy tights and the navy biker jacket from TU would look great with it.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sun 26-Feb-17 15:49:49

ps as a size 12- 14 people who say curvy size 8 - 10 really genuinely do make me LMAO...! I bet you look so slim in that dress!!

wellhonestly Sun 26-Feb-17 15:50:38

Skater dresses look great on curvy women - the only issue I have with them is when they are too short.

I couldn't get your link to work but I googled the dress - it's lovely! Have you tried it on - do you like how it looks on you? If you don't like it, then back it must go!

If you do like the look, then as you say it's really a question of "what would I wear it to?" - I have this issue with my DH trying to buy me lovely frocks but grrrr we never go out! Do you do "date nights" at all? I would wear that dress for a nice meal out - or a wedding/ christening/ family celebration if you have any coming up? Let us know what you decide!

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 26-Feb-17 15:50:40

I think it's a pretty dress, and you are definitely not too old for it - but it's a lot of money for something you don't love. I'd be tempted to exchange it. Ted Baker isn't my cup of tea but if it was from John Lewis they have lots of different brands and you could probably get two or three things instead, say some jeans and a couple of tops.

PuntCuffin Sun 26-Feb-17 15:54:16

beans when I say curvy, I mean hourglass rather than straight up and down. I most definitely have a chest and hips!

Hulababy Sun 26-Feb-17 15:57:52

I wear a lot of Ted Baker dresses as they seem to fit me well, although as I am short (5foot1) they are slightly longer on me which suits me more tbh. I am a size 12/size 3. I'm 44. I wear a fair number of skater skirts - they seem to fit/suit me well.

Have to say that although not cheap the Ted Baker dresses do see to wear well. Infact, although they say dry clean, I have some which a slightly big on me now as I lost weight so I now wear these for work and machine wash them - no issues at all and seem to wash nicely and come out fine.

leccybill Sun 26-Feb-17 15:59:21

I'm a size 8-10 but flabby.
I've got quite a big bottom which puts me off short skater dresses.

PuntCuffin Sun 26-Feb-17 16:04:34

Ok, so consensus is I am not too old for skater dresses! Maybe I have just retreated into being a mousey middle aged woman who is used to being invisible so am worrying about the pattern being too big on a small frame.
And I need to get him to take me out to a fancy dinner as I have no weddings or other posh occasions to go to any time soon.

MiddleClassProblem Sun 26-Feb-17 16:07:00

I didn't realise skater dresses had any age limitations although I'm not one to follow those ideas anyway if I like something.

Blingygolightly Sun 26-Feb-17 16:08:35

OP, I wear Ted Baker dresses and am similar age to you. I am 5'1" and would describe myself as a curvy size 6 (I knew what you meant).

I see those kind of dresses as going somewhere nice but smart casual, e.g. lunch with friends or night out with dh but very much depends on whether you and dh go out.

As to the dress itself, I am personally too short for florals like that so it isn't me but it's a nice dress. Sometimes other people are good at seeing tings that suit as better than we are. Worth finding out what your dh liked about it and where he thinks you would wear it before you have the "it's not me" conversation.

Another one saying skater dresses are great on curvy women; they're very easy to wear and also blooming comfortable generally. I think it's lovely and no, you're definitely not too old for it.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sun 26-Feb-17 16:27:20

Yes, agree with golightly - it's the print you need to watch rather than the dress shape.

Tyr it on and take a pic??

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 26-Feb-17 16:36:01

I saw that dress and a few other TB things in hof the other day. I coveted most of the collection, and wished I had an excuse to buy one (am 53!). I usually find their prints too over the top and blowsy for me (not for everyone), but these ones are a lot more subtle than usual and I love the dark blue as well.
Good to find a flattering shape for an hourglass figure in what seems like a sea of baggy, shapeless garments unflattering to anyone with a waist.

PuntCuffin Sun 26-Feb-17 17:07:09

Will try to post a pic tomorrow. DH is home and doing the ironing (grin) in the only room in the house with full length mirror so can't do it without him noticing and wondering what I am up to!

AngelaLondon1234 Sun 26-Feb-17 17:10:05

It looks fine and I think it will look amazing regardless of age/height/weight.
If you don't like it exchange it for something else

Rockaby Sun 26-Feb-17 17:15:18

Yay!

Lovely dress! Definitely not too 'young' looking to me. The only thing might be the length and how much you like showing off your legs. I bet you look fab in it though, from your description of yourself smile.

ZaZathecat Sun 26-Feb-17 17:36:12

It's lovely. I was expecting to see something short but it's knee length I think, and I would love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now