Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Excessive sweating when nervous -interview, what anti perspirant do you recommend?

(26 Posts)
IlsaLund Sat 25-Feb-17 13:38:15

On a normal day I hardly sweat at all and just use sure roll on deodorant with no problems.

However, when I'm nervous I sweat excessively - last summer I had an interview and by the time I arrived I had huge sweat pools of sweat underarm which were really obvious on my top. I had to rush to the toilets and dry my top on the handryer and then keep my jacket on for the interview.

Years ago I remember using Arrid cream to successfully prevent this issue - having looked online I can see this is no longer available in the UK and online reviews suggest the formula has changed.

Can anyone recommend something similar as I have two big presentations and an interview coming up

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 25-Feb-17 13:40:18

Can you take some sage for a few days prior the interview?

IlsaLund Sat 25-Feb-17 13:42:08

If it works I will - I think the problem is I want something that guarantees that I won't be sat there with huge sweat rings visible on my clothes.

Shelvesoutofbooks Sat 25-Feb-17 13:43:01

Driclor?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 25-Feb-17 13:47:04

How long until the event?

It will work on nerves induced sweating,
but you need to give it time,

Do use a strong deodorant as well, dryclor or similar and do not wear silk. Silk is very sweaty.

Gamtanner Sat 25-Feb-17 13:49:51

Perspiguard

Gamtanner Sat 25-Feb-17 13:51:46

Meant to add my DD is prone to excessive sweating and after much trial and error, she said Persiguard has been the best.

tigerdriverII Sat 25-Feb-17 13:52:10

Vichy 48 hour is really good. I'd also stick on a bit of talc and think about what I was wearing.

tigerdriverII Sat 25-Feb-17 13:54:20

I may have misremembered this but someone I know was worried about the same thing for her wedding and had ??Botox??? injections into her armpits.

hippoesque Sat 25-Feb-17 14:02:47

I used to sweat all the time, literally would have damp puts from the very short school run in the morning! Switched to mitchum roll-on, never had a problem since.

KatyS36 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:07:55

I used to have this problem. I used to wear a smart merino wool top in black. It didn't stop the sweating, obviously, but it meant it never showed or smelt.
Katy

IlsaLund Sat 25-Feb-17 15:24:41

I'm definitely thinking carefully about what to wear, but ideally I'd really like not to have to worry about the whole issue (be too busy trying not to fuck up interviews/presentations)

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll try them and see what happens.
The Arrid that I used to use successfully was a cream, but I'm happy to use a roll on as long as it does the job.

Satishouse Sat 25-Feb-17 15:34:35

Sweatshield undershirts are great. They are thin t shirts worn under clothing with absorbant panels inder the arm pits. No dampness, no smell, machine washable. Google them! I think you can only get them online. Good luck with the interview!

Shelvesoutofbooks Sat 25-Feb-17 15:34:37

Just use driclor and you'll stop sweating quickly.

Logoplanter Sat 25-Feb-17 16:02:09

I used to sweat quite a lot, partially whilst nervous. I now use Sure Maximum Protection or Dove Maximum Protection. They're both around £5 and work really well. I won't use anything else. Used to use Mitchum deodorant and these are loads better. I don't think about what I wear at all anymore.

CarabellaSmella Sat 25-Feb-17 16:07:06

perspirex You put it on the night before and wash off in the morning. Works brilliantly!

IlsaLund Sat 25-Feb-17 16:43:03

Thank you all - am spoilt for choice now!

I guess my only problem is because I don't normally sweat I'm not going to know if it works until the day itself!

IlsaLund Sat 25-Feb-17 16:49:46

Satishouse I like the look of the sweat shield undershirts, thank you.

PurpleNurple69 Sat 25-Feb-17 17:31:59

Mitchum roll on for me. A bottle lasts me a year! I sweat like a bastard when I get nervous or anxious but no problems with my underarms, or oxters if you prefer.

My worst area for nervous sweat these days is the back of my neck. So I bought Neat 3B facesaver gel which I'm going to try next time I have a work meeting/event.

barefoofdoctor Sat 25-Feb-17 18:26:00

Anhydrol Forte. Amazing. You only need to use it every few days. Look on Pharmacy2you.co.uk

MeadowHay Sat 25-Feb-17 18:45:34

Driclor if it's really that bad. I used to use this when medication I was taking made me really sweaty. It works very well and you can get it on prescription from your GP, I think you may be able to buy it over the counter as well though?

retainertrainer Sat 25-Feb-17 19:26:05

You can also buy pads that stick to the inside of you clothes (a bit like sanitary towels but a different shape).

Unicorn81 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:27:52

Triple dry or perpirex from boots. More expensive but work. Triple dry is better

dudsville Sat 25-Feb-17 20:22:42

Good luck op!

IlsaLund Sat 25-Feb-17 20:55:45

Thank you!
All I have to worry about now is not fucking up the interview!
Mind you, back in the Summer when I had my unfortunate pre-interview sweats it meant I spent the 15 minutes before the interview frantically drying my top and washing my armpits in the toilets instead of dry retching and deep breathing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: