Talk

Advanced search

Has the jersey dress had its day?

(22 Posts)
Dowser Sat 25-Feb-17 13:31:18

Or was it ever in fashion lol

Dh brought down two bag fulls from the loft . Marked winter clothes . I've got one on now and feel like I've aged 10 years.

I've obviously never missed them.

60 dresses went to the charity shop last winter...should these follow?

EggsEleven Sat 25-Feb-17 14:10:46

It depends on the style and the print. I find them handy for work.

29redshoes Sat 25-Feb-17 14:15:37

You have/had a lot of dresses!!!

I think wrap and skater styles can look quite dated. The fitted styles (baukjen sort of thing) are possibly going the same way but not there yet.

A woman in my office wears them a lot, they really flatter her figure and she looks fab.

LoupGarou Sat 25-Feb-17 14:15:44

shock Sacrilege! I think it does depend very much on the style, and also whether it looks good on you. IMHO something out of fashion which looks great on and really suits you is much better than something in fashion which doesn't suit you.

I have quite a few mid thigh length, long sleeved tulip style ones, I'm not keen on the just below knee ones though, or printed ones.

Dowser Sat 25-Feb-17 15:47:22

I shall look at them again with a critical eye. I just can't believe two bag fulls have been loitering in the loft.
I've been wearing woollen, knit dresses over winter and
Sleeveless ones with a cardi as it's been mild

Trying to declutter my wardrobe/s . It's hard. Especially when everything fits and it's all in good condition.

MrsMeeseeks Sat 25-Feb-17 15:55:27

Wrap and printed jersey dresses should be consigned to the recycling, IMO. But plain jersey dresses will never die.

Floisme Sat 25-Feb-17 15:59:16

Now you mention it, I've not worn any of mine recently... It's funny how you think you'll wear something forever and then all of a sudden it just doesn't hit the spot any more.

I'm sure they still look fine with the right shoes/accessories but it does sound like you're bored of them? I'd be inclined to keep at least a few as they'll most likely be around again in a couple of years. But then I normally only throw things away if they don't fit or suit me any more or if they're bobbled/stained etc. The rest goes into a bottomless cupboard.

FrustratedFrugal Sat 25-Feb-17 16:21:59

I've worn blanket scarves a lot this winter and a simple gray dress looks wonderful with them.

daisydalrymple Sat 25-Feb-17 16:31:09

shock how can anybody have room to own 60 dresses??? [misses point of thread]

daisydalrymple Sat 25-Feb-17 16:31:32

shock how can anybody have room to own 60 dresses??? [misses point of thread]

Niminy Sat 25-Feb-17 16:35:40

Funnily enough I was musing only this morning how I never seem to want to war the jersey dresses I have - even though I like them a lot. That's how trends get you, I think. It all operates subconsciously. Things don't look right even though theoretically there is nothing wrong with them.

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 25-Feb-17 16:42:42

I hope not, they are my staple work wardrobe! Although I shall probably continue to wear them even if they aren't fashionable any more.

Dulcimena Sat 25-Feb-17 16:49:23

How long have they been in the loft? Have you missed any of them, at all, or even thought about them?

I'd be very tempted to just get rid tbh.

yomellamoHelly Sat 25-Feb-17 16:53:50

If you've not missed them I'd pass them on.

But I hope jersey dresses haven't had their day. Bootcuts suit me much better too.

Floisme Sat 25-Feb-17 16:54:04

It's clever how trends work. I like to think I'm not a slave to them - oh no not me and it's true, I don't consciously give up wearing something because it's no no longer fashionable. It's just that things stop looking as good as they used to look....

It's why I don't believe anything is truly timeless and why I think 'investment dressing' is just a marketing trick.

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 25-Feb-17 16:55:21

My rule is if it hasn't been worn for a year, it gets thrown out. I don't get rid of many clothes, but that's how I decide when I do have a clear out. I've never regretted getting rid of anything.

WipsGlitter Sat 25-Feb-17 16:56:58

They're practically all I wear to work blush

Floisme Sat 25-Feb-17 17:05:20

See unworn for a year is nothing in my cupboard. My favourite trousers at the moment are some velvet widelegs I hadn't worn for 20 years grin

I think trends come around again so quickly now - half the time they don't even bother tweaking them - that if something still fits and suits is in good condition, then it's worth keeping. Of course that's assuming you've got the space - I realise a lot of people haven't.

Niminy Sat 25-Feb-17 18:44:41

Agree with you Floisme about investment dressing. Where's the fun in it? It's all safe good taste. And in any case most of us get bored with the same things. In the words of that old song 'she may get weary - women do get weary, wearing that same old shabby dress' - the same goes for that same old biker jacket/camel single breasted coat/silk shirt or what have you.

AnotheBloodyChinHair Sat 25-Feb-17 18:50:57

So what dresses are 'in'?

PossumInAPearTree Sat 25-Feb-17 18:53:32

I read today that wrap dresses are coming back in.

dudsville Sat 25-Feb-17 19:29:04

I was in my sock drawer recently discarding socks that don't serve their purpose well and came across a stack of tights at the back of the drawer. I realised I hadn't worn anything with tights in many months - cue the jersey dress. I only have a few and they are modern cuts but they haven't been my winter staple clearly! I will see about wearing one next week if I can remember which shoes to wear with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now