Talk

Advanced search

Lipsalves/ Balm. What works?

(44 Posts)
PollyPerky Sat 25-Feb-17 12:54:38

My lips get terribly dry and are often flaky. I use Burts Bees honey stick, used to use Carmex (pot) and a moisturising lippie- Bobbi Brown Nourishing. I apply a good layer of Burts when I go to bed. Nothing seems to be working. I'm thinking of having subtle lip fillers anyway because my lips have lost a lot of volume and I know they can also add in a moisturising treatment.

Meanwhile- what would you recommend?

LoupGarou Sat 25-Feb-17 12:58:51

Vaseline is the only thing which works for me, just the plain original stuff. Bleurgh. I hate the stuff but nothing else works and I react badly to other stuff.

Rainbowglow Sat 25-Feb-17 13:09:22

Ultrasun lipbalm with SPF is good. Also like one by Gatineau - defilift 3d - adds moisture and seems to plump my lips a little.

OldJoseph Sat 25-Feb-17 13:13:19

I like the honey stick and Carmex that you use, but I use them in the day, with a lipstick on top. However at night I use Aquaphor or Lansinoh because they can be properly slathered on your lips.

Bit like a day cream and night cream for lips

Pistachiois50pmore Sat 25-Feb-17 13:21:40

Blistex relief cream (metal tube, red cap) is the best I've found.

HmmmHashtag Sat 25-Feb-17 13:30:05

I have fillers and my lips are ALWAYS dry. I used to use Carmex but recently started using PawPaw and Burts Bees. Paw paw is like glorified vaseline!

Skyllo30 Sat 25-Feb-17 13:31:15

I like Carmex. Butts Bees did nothing.

Lanolips is amazing if you're not allergic to lanolin.

KikiDeliversCakes Sat 25-Feb-17 13:33:31

Nuxe (the one in the pot). Apply at night. It's the best for me.

WhisperedLoudest Sat 25-Feb-17 13:35:58

Vaseline actually makes my lips worse.

The best I've found is lypsyl original

BadToTheBone Sat 25-Feb-17 13:44:01

I use EOS lots throughout the day and slather in Vaseline at night. I hate having dry lips and they work for me.

ThursdayLastWeek Sat 25-Feb-17 13:46:12

Lasinoh. Or anything lanolin based I guess, but I have plenty of lasinoh left.

Vaseline lasts for about 15seconds on me, and I developed an allergy to the spf in liobalms last year. Great.

lovetonamechange Sat 25-Feb-17 13:46:51

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream.

witchmountain Sat 25-Feb-17 13:57:45

Body Shop Vitamin E. it actually stays on and works unlike Burts Bees.

HmmmHashtag Sat 25-Feb-17 15:17:39

lovetonamechange See I didn't get on with Elizabeth Arden. However I did love the packaging!
OP do you exfoliate your lips? I use an old (clean!) toothbrush and warm water then slather loads of balm on.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sat 25-Feb-17 15:18:36

Do you drink plenty? Dry lips are often a sign of dehydration.

HmmmHashtag Sat 25-Feb-17 15:18:50

oldjoseph do you have any links? I'm interested in your nightly lip regime!

WhisperedLoudest Sat 25-Feb-17 15:27:59

Also don't get on with 8 hour cream on lips, although love it for elbows/knees

Funnyonion17 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:34:25

Carmex by far. Amazing stuff

lovetonamechange Sat 25-Feb-17 15:44:11

The actual cream is too thick for everyday use. Good if lips are really dry. Elizabeth Arden make an 8 hour lipbalm too. Funny how some products which are great for some others think are awful!

PurpleDinosaur Sat 25-Feb-17 15:53:07

After years and years of searching for a good lip balm my lips are so much better for using the plain blue Nivea one.

MrsMeeseeks Sat 25-Feb-17 15:58:51

I have dry lips and so have conducted extensive research into lip balms over the years! My conclusion is that anything mentholated, highly scented or petrolatum-based dries the lips out even more. The best thing I have found is plain lanolin, like Lanolips or Lansinoh, but be careful to use only a tiny dab, as it can be comedogenic if it gets on the rest of your face.

goose1964 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:01:52

blistex, it's a cream rather than a balm (looks like tiny toothpaste) it gets into the cracks and moisturises the insides as well as the surface

MsRinky Sat 25-Feb-17 16:10:52

Nuxe in the pot for sure, it is brilliant stuff.

AmethystMoon Sat 25-Feb-17 16:30:42

Nuxe and eight hour here

OldJoseph Sat 25-Feb-17 16:33:35

Hmmm

lansinoh

aquaphor

Both originally bought for different purposes but they work very well on my cracked ips. Aquaphor is more easily applied because it has a softer texture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now