Talk

Advanced search

exercise clothes - please, I really need help.

(14 Posts)
PuddleJumper01 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:36:10

eeek! I shouldn't be here... I'm not stylish and def not beautiful, but I really need help, and you've helped me previously under a different name, so hoping you can work your S&B magic again.

OK. I'm mid-40s and very overweight. (2 1/2 stone). I exercise a lot (5 classes a week) and with one hand eat v healthily and with the other eat loads of crap and also drink way, way too much alcohol. And, very sadly, I have a dog who's suddenly old, so instead of 2 x 2 mile walks per day I've dropped to 1 1/4 mile walk per day. So I know where the weight comes from.

My problem is my exercise t-shirt. I know that sounds ridiculous. Way back when I was a skinny 18 yr old (in the '80s) I brought a t-shirt from Evans because BIG t-shirts were all the rage (this was Frankie Says RELAX era), and this was my exercise t-shirt for ages. But it died.

Because I'm big, I NEED a big, baggy t-shirt to exercise in. It can not cling (because I would die of embarrassment - it has to billow over my horrible belly). It needs to be long enough to cover my bum and my dead t-shirt did that, but somehow it was loose around the shoulders and neck. My replacement was a men's XXL from Sainsbury's, because it's huge. So it doesn't cling to my body and hangs below my camel-toe. But there's stitching or something around the neck and over the shoulders and/or under the arm pits, that restricts how I lift my arms when I exercise. It pulls up the t-shirt (which potentially gets stuck half-way up the stomach I'm so desperate to hide) and the collar rubs my bottom jaw.

What do larger ladies use to exercise in? Thank you and please for your help and advice.

Can anyone please recommend a baggy, long t-shirt which isn't restrictive?

Acornantics Fri 24-Feb-17 23:43:51

I don't like the way traditional t-shirts sit on the neck, so I have, in the past, adapted them by cutting a wider neck (getting rid of the edge bit) and stitching the new neckline; could that work?

Most of my work out stuff comes from TKMaxx, they often have seamless tshirts in a range of sizes.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 24-Feb-17 23:51:26

Most probably not long enough for you but I love matalan Soulouxe cross back to shirts

ImtheSantaAnaWinds Sat 25-Feb-17 00:02:37

I got some lovely long loose t shirts in the exercise bit (or near it anyway!) in H&M this week.

CantChoose Sat 25-Feb-17 01:02:24

I dislike tight fitting gym tops and have found good loose fit ones in Sainsbury's, they don't always stock them but they seem to show up every few months.

Nyancat Sat 25-Feb-17 08:15:37

I hate tight gym clothes. I shop in decathlon and buy two tops to wear together. Underneath a long loose racer back vest that covers my arse and stomach then put on one of their yoga tops. These are loose with a cap sleeve but shorter so i wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it on its own.

Weebleswobbles Sat 25-Feb-17 08:16:57

Gapfit

PhyllisWig Sat 25-Feb-17 08:53:08

Primark

PuddleJumper01 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:21:30

Thanks, Ladies. I'll do some investigating.

formerbabe Sat 25-Feb-17 14:58:37

OK. I'm mid-40s and very overweight. (2 1/2 stone

I wouldn't describe 2 1/2 stone as very overweight confused

PuddleJumper01 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:09:13

Thank you former (if you mean that as a compliment), but I look 10 months pregnant, unfortunately. Reasonably thin calves, thin wrists, not massive boobs. Huge stomach, arse and large thighs. It's pretty grim. sad

formerbabe Sat 25-Feb-17 16:57:43

I was just thinking I'm probably about 2 1/2 stone overweight and whilst I know I'm overweight I don't see myself as being excessively o/w iyswim! Unless I'm in denial blush. I still wear fitted clothes, not skin tight though!

formerbabe Sat 25-Feb-17 16:59:11

Forgot to add...I generally think baggy clothes make people look worse...I find slightly well fitted looks better generally. I'd agree that primark has some good gym clothes at the moment.

Footle Sat 25-Feb-17 17:10:12

PuddleJumper, please don't talk about yourself like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now