Talk

Advanced search

So Cos have released their spring/summer collection...

(23 Posts)
QueenoftheAndals Thu 23-Feb-17 11:16:59

There are some nice items on the website but I'm not sure WTF they were thinking when they sent out the marketing email with these photos. If I didn't already know that their photo shoots are batshit then I'd probably have just hit delete. Although I'm not sure anyone can save that brown dress..,

Maudlinmaud Thu 23-Feb-17 11:21:57

I love cos. Especially their shirts and scarves. I agree though the pictures they use don't do them any favours and if someone was new to the store it can be hard to see how wearable many of their styles are.

Niminy Thu 23-Feb-17 12:52:49

I think they know perfectly well what they're doing. After all Cos is highly successful and that's their style. Their USP is a 'I really don't care about being pretty and attractive thank you very much' attitude that I (for one) find refreshing. They deliberately choose their Tilda Swinton-meets-Soviet-dental-nurse aesthetic, even if most of us who buy the clothes tone it down quite a lot.

JamesDelaneysHat Thu 23-Feb-17 12:54:02

Gawd. The 2nd model is literally dressed in a wet paper bag!! shock

Dulcimena Thu 23-Feb-17 12:59:29

100% agree with Niminy. They're not going after the boden/next/monsoon/etc market, have a successful niche, and market accordingly. If the inagrry turns some people off that's fine! They're not trying to be all things to all people (and neither is any successful brand).

Dulcimena Thu 23-Feb-17 12:59:49

Imagery...

QueenoftheAndals Thu 23-Feb-17 13:10:53

I think even Tilda wouldn't wear the wet brown paper bag!

Niminy Thu 23-Feb-17 14:10:13

Maybe, maybe not

ChicRock Thu 23-Feb-17 16:38:42

Is that an actual dress, that they actually sell? confused

ShesAStar Thu 23-Feb-17 16:58:00

Well, we're talking about it so I guess it's worked.

Trollspoopglitter Thu 23-Feb-17 17:04:22

I love Cos because their clothes fit my body shape well so I do look pretty and attractive. Why the hell would I buy a particular label just to not to feel (and hopefully) look more attractive?!

If that was the message that I was going for, I'd buy the cheapest, flimsiest, primark top I could find. confused

QueenoftheAndals Thu 23-Feb-17 17:12:50

Yes ChicRock. I can't say it looks any better on their website.

But it's not all bad, I do quite like this dress and this skirt from their new season collection.

Floisme Thu 23-Feb-17 18:55:24

I agree it's deliberate. They like to cultivate this 'only really cool people get us' vibe which I find quite irritating even though I'm now a big fan.
They do the best slouchy jumpers I've seen and those relaxed cotton chinos (sorry can't link right now) might be exactly what I'm after too.

Pistachiois50pmore Thu 23-Feb-17 20:35:23

I will fight anyone who questions Cos' commitment to unsexiness. It is brilliant and I love it. But even I don't particularly want anything from the new season. It's not a classic. Too much "Clinique uniform from 1998" and they've really got to sort their prints out.

FernetBranca Thu 23-Feb-17 21:49:17

I'm a huge Cos fan - when it works it's absolutely spot on, and the things I from there that I love, I really love and wear over and over again.

But... I had to snigger on a great thread on here a couple of years ago when brands were being "described": Cos was "just slip this on and we'll take you down for your mammogram"...

QueenoftheAndals Fri 24-Feb-17 16:18:00

Okay, I was in Cos today so managed to get a look at the brown paper bag parachute dress. It is utterly shapeless and completely see through. Yet they want £69 for it!

FuturePerfect Fri 24-Feb-17 16:24:48

I have a few things from Cos and I love them. They always do interesting clothes, with unusual details. But I wouldn't/couldn't do Cos head to toe, and some things I couldn't carry off at all.

However - and Jigsaw are the same for this - the pictures Cos use on their website don't do the clothes justice at all. I think it's partly the way the models stand.

Dulcimena Fri 24-Feb-17 16:38:18

I broke my self-imposed no-buy for this on Tuesday. Not very springlike, but it is LOVELY. Even better when the neckline isn't folded down on itself imo.

This dress also looked utterly wearable, and if they have had this shirt in the lighter blue then I would have got it too. Great shape but I didn't want it in navy.

Dulcimena Fri 24-Feb-17 16:44:53

By the way, I also popped into Hennes and was further convinced that H&M, Cos and & Other Stories (all same group) share the same basic designs, but the fabric changes with the price point. I've found the "same" item but in eg silk in Cos, viscose in &OS, polyester in H&M.

TheLittlePaperbagPrincess Fri 24-Feb-17 17:45:56

My dress!

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 25-Feb-17 14:49:30

I love the look of Cos but every time I've bought something from there it has shrunk in the wash, on the recommended washing setting. Do you all just dryclean ALL your Cos stuff, or what?! I've had to ban them from my wardrobe for being totally awful vfm as a result sad

Dulcimena Sat 25-Feb-17 16:46:35

I had that happen once - it was a woven viscose shirt dress. I've had woven viscose shrink from other places too though, and it creases, so I now avoid it. I don't dry clean anything as a rule...

QueenoftheAndals Sat 25-Feb-17 16:53:57

Yes, I bought a top which shrunk. Exchanged it for one a size bigger and that shrunk too, although it's still wearable. Cos aren't cheap so I expect more from them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now