Talk

Advanced search

How to get silky sleek hair

(23 Posts)
Shnorbitz Wed 22-Feb-17 19:55:12

I have straightish hair heading towards my shoulders.

I need to wash my hair every day as I suffer from night sweats - nice hmm

I have a bit of a kink in my hair so always need to straighten it or end up looking like a bush.

When I'm finished I like to think it looks pretty good. Until I step outdoors.... no matter what the weather I end up a frizzled mess. I have a mass of hair strands that just recoil in horror at any weather and ensure my hair looks shite.

I've tried pretty much every anti frizz product to no avail. I've tried sulphate free and it just seems to hang on my hair and make it look greasy.

Even when I've straightened, the ends always end up turning out on one side and I look like I've just stepped out of bed.

All I want is sleek smooth hair all day. It can't be that hard can it??

Oh and whilst I have lots of hair, it isn't particularly thick so I don't want anything than drags its down and makes it look limp.

Someone must know of a holy grail product????

PeanutJuice Wed 22-Feb-17 20:51:58

No hold grail product, just pick what you use very carefully.
Your hair is probably damaged through using straighteners and "anti friz" products
Straighteners break down your hair from the root (assuming you straighten from the root) and cause dryness, flyaways and frizziness.
Anti friz products work by coating your hair with silicone to make it feel soft and silky, when in actual fact this then strips the moisture from your hair making it more frizzy, but because it temporarily coats your hair and makes it silky, you feel like it's doing a great job so you use it again, which makes your hair dry, and feel the need to use the product again (see the cycle here?)

The secret is to use no heat, and only natural oils to penetrate the hair follicles to moisturise them in the long run, not artificially coat it. Try coconut oil, as a mask or after a wash (not too much or you will look greasy)
It will take a long time for the healthy hair to grow through from your scalp and show in the ends of your hair but start now and you won't be sorry!
Regular cuts to get rid of split ends will stop it looking scraggly as well
Happy hair journey

DameDoom Wed 22-Feb-17 21:53:14

Hairfix pre-wash detoxifier is a weekly treatment I use and my hair is fine but I have a lot and it is brilliant stuff - much better than clarifying shampoo. It gets rid of all product build up really gently and is great for the dulling frizz you can get from hard water.
How long is your hair? I have had mine cut in a lob so it's just above my shoulders. The hairdresser put in a long internal layer than makes it gently turn under rather than turning out but the layer is totally invisible.
I think us fine haired types really do have to invest in really good shampoo and conditioner to tame frizz and flyaways.
Get a Babyliss Big Hair but make sure your hair is nearly dry before you use it and that should help...oh and a silk pillow.

flossisboss Wed 22-Feb-17 22:14:49

If your hair is long enough, I'd recommend tying it up right on top of your head at night, using soft bands or a scrunchy. I usually hang my head upside down and plait it gently from the crown. The plait hangs over the back of the pillow. Since doing this mine is less greasy, has far fewer split ends and feels softer because it's not being damaged at night.

flossisboss Wed 22-Feb-17 22:19:30

Oh, and I've stopped using conditioner all together. I found it made my hair lank. I shampoo it, blot it dry and apply about 5 drops of pure Argan oil from the ends up. It's honestly transformed my hair.

PickAChew Wed 22-Feb-17 22:23:03

Nothing will stop the natural wave appearing in your hair if it gets damp.

Much better to work with the wave, than constantly fight it.

NameChanger22 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:27:51

I have rubbish hair, it's fine and gets frizzy quickly. I've tried hundreds of products over the years, hardly any of them work.

But, I have found 3 products which work wonders on my hair. The first two are Gliss Asia Straight Shampoo and Gliss Asia Straight Conditioner. They're in purple bottles and are often in the pound shops. The other Gliss shampoos and conditioners don't work anywhere near as well as these miracle workers, so get the purple ones.

The third product is Loreal Mythic Oil which really seems to put moisture into my hair and makes it look sleek.

Obviously, everybody's hair is different so these products might not work for you, but they are worth a try, especially as the Gliss shampoo and conditioner are so cheap.

Bleurghghghgh Wed 22-Feb-17 22:35:37

I do Brazilian blow dries on myself which help a LOT but my hair is coarse and wavy so it may flatten yours.

Between treatment I use the treatment keratin mask (in tub) and heat protectant spray and I can really tell when I haven't used them - they do seem to help a lot with frizz without weighing down

Purplebluebird Wed 22-Feb-17 22:38:45

You can have some of mine! It's silky, sleek, and won't hold a hair do if my life depended on it. There is no point even using any products, it just kinda swooshes off anyway and it goes flat again. :P Overrated!

Bleurghghghgh Wed 22-Feb-17 22:57:30

Good point purple, my hair when in it's coarsest grubbiness state will hold a wave for three days minimum

Shnorbitz Thu 23-Feb-17 08:19:33

@Dame, where do you buy Hairfix from? They have it on Amazon but it's £31, gulp.

Shnorbitz Thu 23-Feb-17 08:20:19

@Name I will definitely try the Gliss Asia products, thank you.

PippilottaViktualia Thu 23-Feb-17 08:59:12

You need this - www.justmylook.co.uk/tigi-bed-head-control-freak-serum-250ml-p5035/s5039?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=tigi-bed-head-control-freak-serum-250ml-140029&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CPKkjvPspdICFcOVGwodWGEFuA

It's amazing, I smooth a bit through my hair when it's damp and then either blow dry or leave to air dry and then I put a bit through after it's dry and it's great. Keeps the frizz away no matter the weather. I find it fabulous and for the first time I feel like I have 'good' hair.

DameDoom Thu 23-Feb-17 11:35:28

Shnorbitz I get it from their website.www.hairfix.co.uk/collections/all/products/new-release-500ml
It's £14 for the release detoxifier. I don't use the other steps but this one is fab.

ZaZathecat Thu 23-Feb-17 14:53:56

I think I'm going to try that Tigi Bed Head stuff.

I have similar hair and problem. My only advice - not always easy to follow - is to wash you hair loooong before you are planning to go out. E.g. if I'm going out Saturday evening I'll wash and style my hair in the morning so it's hours before the weather can get it. If it's raining however, I might as well forget it.

321zerobaby Fri 24-Feb-17 07:38:17

What hairdryer do you have? I think a better blow dry technique to start with may help, drying from root to tip, use a big round brush, always keep air flow pointing down.

Shnorbitz Fri 24-Feb-17 15:35:46

I've got a Parlux. Blow dry technique - I just blast the hairdryer all over until it's dry. I struggle with having the time in the morning do properly blow dry it and it's such a faff to do blush

LordEmsworth Fri 24-Feb-17 19:18:05

My hairdresser recently told me to comb conditioner through before rinsing - that has made a massive difference. Was like Crystal Tips before, much smoother now.

I blow dry by tipping head upside down and doing most of it, then blow dry the top bits "properly" with a round brush.

Then I warm up a little oil - literally 2-3 drops - in my palms, smooth over & then ruffle it up a bit with my fingers, so it's not flat.

It's not amazing, but it looks/feels like I am in control of it not the other way round.

ChickenVindaloo2 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:11:15

comb conditioner through before rinsing

That is my top tip grin

misstiggywinkle21 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:14:12

Brazilian blow drys. Having lank flat hair for 3/4 days post treatment is a pain but the end result is great. My hair stays straight and smooth even in really humid conditions, normally I have the same frizz problems.

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:44:45

I buy Olaplex and use it once a week overnight. Philip Kingsley Elasticiser is lovely, too, but my fine flyaway hair can get lank if I use it too often.

Kerastase do a range in pale green containers; I use the Ciment Thermique and Ciment Anti-Usure. They're not cheap but LookFantastic often has special offers and they leave my hair beautiful, soft and shiny.

The only other thing to look at is your diet; make sure you're eating super-healthy foods and drinking loads of water. I take hair and nail supplements and it's probably a placebo but I swear my hair feels better for it.

Shnorbitz Fri 24-Feb-17 20:47:51

Thank you for all the tips, I will try them all!

joangray38 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:45:45

Wash hair , towel dry then put conditioner or hair mask on and leave overnight. Put a shower cap on so it doesn't rub off on bed sheets. Wash off in the morning .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now