Talk

Advanced search

Best shampoo/conditioner for itchy scalp?

(21 Posts)
Geist Wed 22-Feb-17 12:02:18

My scalp has been driving me mad with itch the past couple of weeks and now seems a bit flakey. I've changed shampoo/conditioner several times but hasn't seemed to help much. Never had this problem before but doesn't surprise me as the older I'm getting, the more sensitive my skin appears to be getting. Not nits as my mum has checked for me several times grin

Before I throw a lot of money blindly trying different ones has anyone any recommendations?

Cakescakescakes Wed 22-Feb-17 12:05:05

TGel. The brown one. I use it once or twice a week to keep on top of my itchy scalp. I actually love the coal tar smell....

Cakescakescakes Wed 22-Feb-17 12:05:25

I have very sensitive and eczema prone skin.

Geist Wed 22-Feb-17 12:13:00

Thanks cakes, are you only meant to use it once or twice a week? What do you use in between time?

In the past few years I've developed rosacea and contact dermatitis to certain washing powders. My skin is rebelling against me.

Cakescakescakes Wed 22-Feb-17 12:47:11

My skin has vastly deteriorated since I had my DC too. Am sure there's some kind of hormonal basis to it all.

No you can use it for every wash if you like but in between I just use any normal shampoo e.g. Normally I buy the green Herbal essences, as I find that the tgel keeps the itch at bay. If my scalp flares up then I use the tgel every wash for a week until it settles down.

mindmyarse Wed 22-Feb-17 12:49:27

Body shop ginger shampoo worked for me

LadyOfTheCanyon Wed 22-Feb-17 12:52:55

There have been some similar threads over the past couple of months that were very helpful if you search for them.

There doesn't seem to be a one size fits all solution - SLS free you'd think would be the answer but makes some people worse.

CoalTar shampoos seem to work best for the largest amount of people ( including me and I have Psoriasis on my scalp) but others that seem to work for some people are:
Vosene
Tea tree shampoo
Topical ointments like Philip Kingsley's itchy scalp tonic

Good luck - I sympathise.

Cakescakescakes Wed 22-Feb-17 12:54:22

Yes I've never had much luck with SLS free shampoo etc either but it's almost always touted as the answer.

Geist Wed 22-Feb-17 12:59:47

Thanks, it was pure laziness not doing a search but I will now grin

I had switched to using SLS free ones when it started, there was me thinking I was doing a good thing for my hair. Dumped them now but can't get rid of the itch.

FreeButtonBee Wed 22-Feb-17 13:07:06

The Philip Kingsley itchy flaky scalp shampoo is excellent. I've used it for about 6 years and it really really helps. The tonic is useful to settle your scalp but I don't need to use it long term.

Pringlesandwine Wed 22-Feb-17 13:21:54

Faith in nature shampoo...can't recommend it enough. I now have a scalp I can't really feel, iykwim! I'm not constantly aware of my scalp itching and feeling uncomfortable anymore. And it's not too expensive. My favourite is the coconut one 😁

MegaBlocksBaby Wed 22-Feb-17 13:23:41

I came on to recommend body shop ginger shampoo and see a PP has mentioned it. I've never looked back!

LadyOfTheCanyon Wed 22-Feb-17 13:24:15

Free that's interesting - I haven't tried the shampoo on account of my scalp needing the big guns, as it were. I'll give it a go. Ta!

wishparry Wed 22-Feb-17 13:31:58

I use head and shoulders 3 action formula.

SleepingBooty Wed 22-Feb-17 13:34:47

Lush soak and floaty shampoo bar is my go to.

sanitygirl Wed 22-Feb-17 14:38:32

Oilatum Junior shampoo works for me. Definitely avoid SLS. I also have to avoid cocamidopropyl betaine

Bobowhite Wed 22-Feb-17 14:39:16

Another vote for Philip Kingsley flaky itchy!

INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Feb-17 14:42:19

Avalon organics scalp tea tree shampoo (£5 a bottle in Waitrose)

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 22-Feb-17 14:42:23

I use Yes to Carrots scalp relief shampoo. My head is ridiculously itchy thanks to chemo and it is very soothing smile

stoptryingtomakefetchhappen Wed 22-Feb-17 15:02:52

Another vote for Philip kingsley. Aveda scalp benefits also fantastic. Pricey but you can get it in a 1 litre bottle which is great value.

Geist Wed 22-Feb-17 18:13:24

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be armed with a list tomorrow to hit the shops to see what I can find. Just rinsed it tonight in the shower with warm water as I now have no idea what exact product is causing it but I'll be avoiding SLS free like the plague from now on.

Whatwould flowers hope everything goes well for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now